Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

MrsWembly

Reaction score
I think people should see it first before making an opinion. I don't think it will live up to the first one but I think its important to do projects like this and keep the Henson legacy alive. That's just me.

The Power of the Dark Crystal Presentation Reel :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsQZJiCcJM8

Animalia

Reaction score
I can't wait for this to come out! Personally I think most sequels are never made quite as good, but seeing as this one has a different director I'd like to see how its done differently.

BradFraggle

Reaction score
When exactly is this supposed to come out? I can't wait!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
BradFraggle said:
When exactly is this supposed to come out? I can't wait!
Genndy Tartakovsky (director) told MTV earlier last month that most of the pre-production work is done and they should be starting production very soon. He said he hoped to have it all done by the end 2007. Lisa Henson (producer) said that they are planning to debut at the Cannes Film Festival, which would put release sometime around May 2008. Odyssey Entertainment is distributing the film, and they haven't set (or at least publicly shared) an exact date for release. Filming should start soon and sometime in the next 20-months the film should be out.

Oh, I can't wait either. :wink:

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
I second that emotion! :smile: I've loved all of Genndy's work so far, and I want to see how he'll do with this project..........and besides, The Dark Crystal rocked

Super Scooter

Reaction score
EDIT: I'm getting rid of this info. It's nothing more than a rumor as far as I am aware.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Rumor Debunking

Hey, I just want to do some quick rumor debunking here. There have been several unfound rumors circulating the net over the past few days/weeks/months, so I thought I would just help set the record straight here.

The film's production is moving along as planned. The project is not "canceled", "on hiatus", "delayed" or " abandoned". Production is on track and the film is still planned for a "Spring 2008" release. The Jim Henson Company's Head of Publicity and Head of Features both reassured me yesterday that the film is still alive and moving along as intended. Apparently some hooligans are out there making reports that the film has been canceled, but there is no merit to the claims at all. The film is coming, so if you read some blog or message board out there saying the project is dead, don't listen to them - as of today things are moving along beautifully. The goal is to wrap-up post-production by the end of the year, so the physical production should really be gearing up soon.

Second, when it comes to the film's cast. Henson has not released any definitive casting information at this point in time. Although they have said they hope to involve many of the performers from the original, and it is likely that many of the company's now-regular puppeteers will also work on the film, nothing official has been made publicly known. Any cast lists you see at this point (on places such as imdb.com or Wikipedia) are just speculation or hopeful assuming. In fact, several of the people listed on imdb's cast list have publicly denied any involvement in the project. imdb.com had a cast list for the film posted months before the project was even officially green-lit, and long before a director was even attached or any casting was done. imdb relies on user contributions and does not always "fact check" all the information prior to adding it to their database. In many cases, this film especially, it's just not a reliable source for their casting information (likewise for the upcoming Fraggle Rock film). Wait until an official announcement or confirmation of casting surfaces (and unfortunately we might not get a full and complete listing until we get to see the names scroll across the screen at the conclusion of the movie).

The internet is a great tool for getting information and it's also a great place to spread rumors. Don't just trust everything you read about the film out there. Look at what/who the source is and what validity their claims have. It's easy for crazed "fans" to make stuff up and get it out there – and once that stuff is out there it can be hard (if not impossible) to correct. With a much anticipated film that's part of such a beloved and established franchise, it's easy for people to jump to conclusions, assert assumptions as fact and just try to play games with the fanbase.

Muppet Central, and the other established and reliable news sites, will keep you all updated with the actual/factual news that you crave. So things are "fine and dandy" with production and the film should be ready for its debut at Cannes in May 2008. So the key now is patience. I know it seems like forever when waiting for the film, and some days it feels like it will never be here. But it is on track and is coming our way – so feel free to set up camp in front of your local cineplex to be the first to get tickets when they go on sale in "Spring 2008". But until then, we wait.