TBOTMS vs. Season Sets

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. Though I have been buying the TMS season sets, I already own 6 of the 7 volumes of The Best of the Muppet Show released by Columbia-TriStar in 2002-2003. This includes 8 episodes from season 2 (Elton John, Julie Andrews, Peter Sellers, John Cleese, Steve Martin, George Burns, Dom DeLuise, Bob Hope), 3 from season 3 (Raquel Welch, Harry Belafonte, Gilda Radner), 3 from season 4 (Mark Hamill/Star Wars, John Denver, Dudley Moore), and 4 from season 5 (Gene Kelly, Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Carol Burnett).

I had played all my TBOTMS volumes to death by the time I bought the season sets, and when I view the season sets, I instinctively skip the episodes I already have (if the sets from season 2 onward were equipped with Muppet Morsel trivia subtitle tracks, then that would be different). But one question bugs me...Is it really worth keeping 2 DVD's of the same episode in my collection?

The only reason I was hesitant to junk my TBOTMS DVD's were the Brian Henson intros, concept art and hidden trivia tidbits. I'd even try acquiring the remaining 9 TBOTMS volumes for their intros and concept art, but the Season sets make them seem redundant.

What would any of you fellow fans with both the TBOTMS volumes and season boxed sets do?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would keep both because you never know when you what might happen to one or the other. Besideds you will not get much on a trade or selling with them, I have tried.

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
I would keep both because you never know when you what might happen to one or the other. Besideds you will not get much on a trade or selling with them, I have tried.
You do have a point. Especially with Season 4 due out later this year, I highly doubt that LucasFilm would grant Buena Vista the rights to include the Mark Hamill episode, another reason to keep that respective TBOTMS volume.

On a side note, the Vincent Price episode on the TBOTMS (which also included the Alice Cooper episode), though minus the original first season opening, has the closing number intact (which for whatever reason Buena Vista could not get the rights to use in the Season 1 set).

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have both these sets and plan on keeping each. Especially since the Time/Life volumes had complete episodes, and you have the little Brian Henson intros in there which are nice.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Myself personally, i would copy the things exclusive to TBOTMS (like the Brian intros, special features) - including the Vincent Price episode to another disc and get rid of the individual TBOTMS dvd's as their respective episodes have come out on the season sets (which shouldn't be a lot since most of them had a good mix of episodes from early/late seasons). There's no guarantee any of the season 4/5 eps won't be cut in some way when they get their box set release so hold onto those to be safe.

You may not get a lot of money for your TBOTMS's but even a little is better than none. In my area, there are a lot of book/record/dvd shops that will take (and sell) second hand stuff and reward you with cash back or trade credit. Other options are donating to things like libraries or gifts for those people you know who like the Muppets but aren't die-hard fans. Spreading Muppet goodness is always a great thing!

And i say go for getting the other volumes you don't have yet - they should be cheap to get and who knows how long a wait we have for season 5 to come out? Plus you may eventually have more success selling/trading a complete set of them.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Myself personally, i would copy the things exclusive to TBOTMS (like the Brian intros, special features) - including the Vincent Price episode to another disc and get rid of the individual TBOTMS dvd's as their respective episodes have come out on the season sets (which shouldn't be a lot since most of them had a good mix of episodes from early/late seasons). There's no guarantee any of the season 4/5 eps won't be cut in some way when they get their box set release so hold onto those to be safe.

You may not get a lot of money for your TBOTMS's but even a little is better than none. In my area, there are a lot of book/record/dvd shops that will take (and sell) second hand stuff and reward you with cash back or trade credit. Other options are donating to things like libraries or gifts for those people you know who like the Muppets but aren't die-hard fans. Spreading Muppet goodness is always a great thing!

And i say go for getting the other volumes you don't have yet - they should be cheap to get and who knows how long a wait we have for season 5 to come out? Plus you may eventually have more success selling/trading a complete set of them.
D.W., that's exactly why I'm hanging onto my Time Life sets, because after being disappointed that they cut out the Vincent Price song on the Season 1 set that Disney put out, you're right, who knows what else they're going to chop out of the future season releases. I'd rather have both to be safe

SeanC

Reaction score
You do have a point. Especially with Season 4 due out later this year, I highly doubt that LucasFilm would grant Buena Vista the rights to include the Mark Hamill episode, another reason to keep that respective TBOTMS volume.
Well, C3PO & R2D2 appeared on the '40 Years of Sesame Street' DVD set without any problems, so I'm guessing the 'Star Wars' ep of TMS won't be an issue.
Have to admit I'm tempted to buy some of those TBOTMS discs, given the long wait for the season 4 set...

beakerboy12

Reaction score
If you want to watch the Star Wars episode of TMS, look on Youtube! I found the whole episode in 3 parts! It was pretty good!

Dearth

Reaction score
I only own seven of the fifteen 'Best of' three-episode discs, and so was unaware about the different edit on the Vincent Price/Alice Cooper DVD.

Needless to say, I am now looking for that disc online.

What other 'Best of' episodes differ from their counterparts in the first three season boxed sets?

Now this thread has me wanting to get all the ones with guests from Seasons 4 and 5, just in case the boxed sets of seasons four and five have further problems in rights to the music.

Dearth

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
The Elton John episode has a new sketch in it, though I haven't seen it yet.