Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to admit. The one thing I do not like about Nick's ownership of the Turtles? There's no 2k3 references anywhere....it would be nice to give a nod to the series in between the oldest and newest one.
Sounds like it's becoming the Beast Wars of TMNT. It's not the first so it doesn't get that credit, and it's not the latest so it gets shoved to the back.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Unlike the original 80's cartoon (now completely released), Nick actually has the rights to 2k3 (Fred Wolf and Lionsgate still own the show rights and home entertainment rights respectively). Oh, and the live action series is only available due to Saban. Forgot to throw that in there.

I had been wondering if Nick got the distribution rights to any past TMNT productions (I figured they didn't get the movies) or just the characters and franchise. I also wonder if Nick owns the publishing rights to any of the comic books.

beaker

Reaction score
I have to admit. The one thing I do not like about Nick's ownership of the Turtles? There's no 2k3 references anywhere. They haven't made plans to release any of the 2k3 series on DVD (other than the bare bones release of the telefilm, not even the extended 4Kids website version), and all the non-Nick Turtle merchandise is the 1980's series. Which isn't bad, exactly, but it would be nice to give a nod to the series in between the oldest and newest one.

But I really am disappointed that there haven't bothered releasing any of the 2K3 series. I really had hoped Nick would allow Shout to release it. Most of the series except for Back to the Sewers was released on DVD, but mostly single disks. Half of season 4, both seasons of Fast Forward, and the first 2 seasons have been released (in half sets, and Season 2 part 2 is apparently impossible to find). 4Kids stopped releasing DVD's well before the Nick sale (no thanks to a tiff with Funimation, the distributors), and with the entire line long out of print, it's impossible to get any of the series now.

Unlike the original 80's cartoon (now completely released), Nick actually has the rights to 2k3 (Fred Wolf and Lionsgate still own the show rights and home entertainment rights respectively). Oh, and the live action series is only available due to Saban. Forgot to throw that in there.
I just really, really hate the look of the CGI Nick Turtles. The logo is lame and uninspired, the turtles faces and heads look lame, the flow of the shows I cant stand. And Im not a cgi hater per se...

Im genuinely worried what the Michael Bay Ninja Turtles film will be like. I mean...can't they just let the turtles go away for a little bit? Im a huge TMNT fan, life long...but after 2003-2009 series, why not give it a break?

beaker

Reaction score
Sounds like it's becoming the Beast Wars of TMNT. It's not the first so it doesn't get that credit, and it's not the latest so it gets shoved to the back.
Ill take Beast Wars over computer generated 2013 Ninja Turtles

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are a lot of cartoons I didn't quite like the look of.

Then I realized I was missing something and quickly got over it.

There are cases where this new TMNT series is even darker than the 2k3 series. It has the darkest origin of Leatherhead I've ever seen. Rather than being the Utroms' friend, the Kraang tortured the heck out of the character until he was a violent, crazy, bloodthirsty beast. Not to mention the fact that Shredder brainwashed Splinter's rightful daughter. Wow. For a goofy kid's show, that's deep.

Seriously. Get over the look. You're missing a show that parodies Filmation's Star Trek and Voltron, has surprising depth, and quite honestly has made me forget all about the 2k3 series, other than the fact I'd like to watch them again not on Youtube.

Im genuinely worried what the Michael Bay Ninja Turtles film will be like. I mean...can't they just let the turtles go away for a little bit? Im a huge TMNT fan, life long...but after 2003-2009 series, why not give it a break?
They did. For a good 4 years. Frankly, after the lackluster Back to the Sewers season, I'm glad we got a reboot. The movie's going to suck. That's a fact. Bay is a trolling creator who wants to purposely tick off the fans so they'll have no choice but to see the film to complain about it. If it wasn't for Will Arnett as Vernon, I wouldn't give the film the time of day and just ignore it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Two Things.

Anyone remember when the Turtles randomly lived in Los Angeles and took the train frequently? Neither do I.

And they used the Walk-a-bouts they used at old TRU Grand Openings to boot.

Also, the show just introduced Slash in the most epic fashion possible. A dark psychopath voiced by Corey Feldman! Dagnabbit... this show is starting to become my favorite non-comics version of the Turtles.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Two Things.

Anyone remember when the Turtles randomly lived in Los Angeles and took the train frequently? Neither do I.

And they used the Walk-a-bouts they used at old TRU Grand Openings to boot.

Also, the show just introduced Slash in the most epic fashion possible. A dark psychopath voiced by Corey Feldman! Dagnabbit... this show is starting to become my favorite non-comics version of the Turtles.

James Rolfe talked about that when he did his series of Ninja Turtles videos, in a video of "leftover" Turtles productions (things he hadn't covered in other videos). According to Rolfe's video, this was a locally-released video, so those in Los Angelas are more likely to remember the turtles living there than anyone else.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's where I discovered it... but it has to be seen without commentary to be believed. Especially how well prepared Michelangelo is.

"Hey, Michelangelo. You forgot to buy a ticket!"
"Don't need one, Dude! I already got a monthly pass."
(the rest of the Turtles stare in adoration)

And it's still a better written plot than all the European Vacation episodes put together.

Well, maybe not the one where the aliens steal the art works of the artists the Turtles were named after... that one was pretty good, actually.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Guess who finally showed up in Sunday's recent episode...

Yep. Teenage Irma. Oh, and Casey Jones finally becomes a vigilante in an episode homaging the classic Raphael one shot storyline.

But seriously. Irma.