Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm ONLY seeing the movie for Will Arnett as Vernon! :halo:

But yeah. The casting of Mickey from Seinfeld as Splinter ticked me the frag off!

You know when they gave Nick Fury, Perry White, and The Human Torch (among others) race lifts and a whole bunch of purists made comments about how they don't change the races of non-white characters to white? Considering that and Shredder, they have officially lost the right to ever say that again.

Sure, in the cartoons, Shredder was traditionally a black guy, but a black guy voicing a Japanese man.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I'll admit I am mixed about the animation, especially since there are a lot of shows that look better. Especially Transformers Prime. I kinda have problems with some of the human models. But the show is too intriguing for me to care. And the Turtles do look pretty good themselves.
They sure have taken the opportunity to be creative with the visuals in the latest episode where they get infected by spores from mutagen-infected mushrooms, causing the heroes to hallucinate over their greatest fears. Those scenes ranged from silly to horrifying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was a wild episode. It's as I've been saying, sure... Teen Titans Go is admittedly enjoyable as long as you throw enough "ifs" in there... but Nick's TMNT is the true spiritual successor to Teen Titans. And not just because Mikey's the same VA as beast Boy. The visuals of this episode pretty much seemed like a CGI version of a wild episode of that series. And it was amazing. I especially liked the cameo by the Star Trek Filmation series as part of Leo's Nightmare. it would have been something if they went deeper with that though, but appreciated as a call back none the less.

Aside from that, I'm really loving Casey Jones in this series. Casey's always been my favorite non-turtle character on the franchise. I feel he was dreadfully underused in the original 80's series only appearing in 3 episodes, and barely at that. That's why I'm more forgiving of the third movie than the second, and that's one of the main things I preferred about the 2k3 series over the 80's series (that and their version of Baxter Stockman). I'm also liking the wedge he's been between April and Donny. In the 2k3 series, Don also had a crush on April, albeit very subtle, but seemed to completely resign to the fact that he's out of her species and that Casey's a better match for her anyway. In this version, Casey ticks the heck out of Donny. I especially liked the tiny Aprils crawling all over him in Donny's hallucination... then having them turn into rats in his.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know there's the whole Irma was ripped off from Jeanette thing that's been around since, well, forever, but am I the only one out there who thinks...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Head's Up. The upcoming episode is going to be the special where they meet their past selves. And unlike the last time, they actually can hire the original voice actors (they have one of them already, of course).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But, since April, Casey, and Irma are teens on this show, technically, wouldn't they be meeting their future selves? :stick_out_tongue:

But yeah, it was kind of amusing hearing Rob Paulsen on the Wacky Delly Live thing that he figured working on TMNT and being Raphael would be cool enough as far as his son was concerned, but apparently his son was never more excited about meeting/knowing a voice actor as he was when he met Carlos Alazraqui for the first time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Speaking of which, was there ever an explanation why they kept switching out voice actors throughout the third season of the old series? Townsend Coleman made Krang sound so over-the-top cartoony, and I remember Raphael's replacement voice sounded akin to Biff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But, since April, Casey, and Irma are teens on this show, technically, wouldn't they be meeting their future selves? :stick_out_tongue:
I believe that only the Turtles will meet themselves. They only said Barry Gordon, Townsend Coleman, and Cam Clarke would be involved.

Speaking of which, was there ever an explanation why they kept switching out voice actors throughout the third season of the old series? Townsend Coleman made Krang sound so over-the-top cartoony, and I remember Raphael's replacement voice sounded akin to Biff.
From what I understand, it's an availability issue. The last season of TMNT was when Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain took off, and Rob was pretty busy there. I don't why he was unavailable during the European Vacation episodes. Hal Rayle's Raph sounded like a more deadpan version of Doyle Cleverlobe (his character on Galaxy High). Oddly enough, the replacement that sounded closer was the one they got for TMNT Forever.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I pretty much figured that much with Rob during the last season (as well as James "Uncle Phil" Avery a few seasons prior), though it still seems somewhat odd with all the juggling that season in particular went through, where in any given episode, half the characters may have a different voice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... saw the episode, and there's a bonus reference for the TMNT gamers...

The episode was retitled "The Manhattan Project." Yeah, I know that's really a reference to WW2, but they clearly used it in reference to the third NES game.

As for the classic turtles... (spoilers)

It's a very brief cameo in part 1 and the end of part 2. April and Casey are present, but they don't talk and only the current turtles make observations. 2012 Donnie loves 80's April's Jumpsuit BTW... aka the one that gives her... uh... shape.

The actual segment where they talk... that's basically the episode stinger. A Giant Worm gets sucked into a portal at the end of the episode and winds up in the 80's series. And the end is poorly animated on purpose. it's brilliant, but a tad too short. Hopefully we'll see the universe in the show again.