"That's About The Size" song

bigbird

Reaction score
I remember the song That's about the size". It was one of those songs that stuck in ones mind for a good long time. I know it had a few verses but I always remember the part that goes: "That's about the size where you put your eyes that's about the size of it"...and then it said something like..."Oh the big becomes the little one"...and that's all i can remember. Does anyone know the rest? I know it was a cartoon sketch.

superfan

Reaction score
Oh, I used to love that one. It had a cartoon of an ant close up (making him look BIG) and the camera panned back and it was beside something larger than the ant making the ant look very small. Details are sketchy, but the tune is in my head now! Thanks!!:wink:

Xerus

Reaction score
What I remember is seeing the sun rising from what looks like a huge mountain. But it turns out to be a crumb that an ant picks up. Then the ant crawls under a huge beetle, then a bigger snail appears, then a bird who gets frightened away by a dog who is on a leash by two boys. Then a giraffe looks at the kids at the zoo, then we see an elephant, then a bunch of buildings, then some mountains and then the world and then the moon.

Next we see Saturn go by, and then we see the sun and the planets spinning around the sun really fast and then a small rocket.

Then we see the same two boys walking off into the horizon with the dog following them. Then the sun sets over a mountain and it became night and a comet zooms by. A very beautiful ending. :smile:

zrs70

Reaction score
They used that song on the episode with Mr. Hooper's death. Brilliant way to help parents understand how to teach children perspective.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
zrs70 said:
They used that song on the episode with Mr. Hooper's death. Brilliant way to help parents understand how to teach children perspective.
Unfortunately it was cut from the Noggin edition. Where exactly was this song placed in the show? Anyone remember?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If you want any more proof of Joe Raposo's genius, there it is, right there.
The animation is brilliant, showing things that are big and small, depending on where you are, and so nice, the last shot before the sun sets, of seeing the two kids- one black, one white, walking with arms over each other's shoulders, out to create a great new world.

And it's nice to know although you're small there's always room to grow
And that's about the size of it.:smile:

Who can watch this clip and NOT smile?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
It was also done by the same people who did "Alligator King" and "Ladybug Picnic". It may have been their first piece for the show.

Rosewood

Reaction score
"Let the big become the little whan you see it back a bit....."

Wow! That does bring back memories!:excited: You have to admitt, Joe Raposo was a brilliant song writer! When try to think of some of the most memorable clips I recall seeing on Sesame Street, I find it interesting that they are almost all song clips written by him. I write poetry, myself. But every time I've tried putting it to music to make a song out of it, I've failed misserably!:embarrassed: Song writing is a very fine and difficult art, but some people just seem to be born with the gift to do it. Joe Raposo was definately one of those gifted people.:smile: