The 80's

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
You can list and discuss anything that reminds you of the 80's.

When I was a kid, I went to Showbiz Pizza. Went there for birthdays and wnet there when my parents wanted to take me there. Just driving by the sign off the highway made me want to go to the place. Best part was when I was walking in the front doors and seeing the band they had, The Rock-afire Explosion. Besides that, I played games like skeetball, went into the play area that had a slide you had to crawl up to and had a play pin area with orange balls. I also remember a balloon machine where you put in a token, and watch a balloon blow up.

Here's a link to see the Rock-afire Explosion. You'll need Real Player to play it.
http://www.robotsandgames.com/morerae/morerae.htm

Here's some pictures.
http://sp-com.tripod.com/pizzacam/snap/spp15.jpg
http://rock_afire.tripod.com/info/misc/spp/articles/duo3.jpg

ryan

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
OMG! I remember Showbiz Pizza! I used to go there too! I was really little though and don't remember too much about it sadly. It was tons of fun though. The 80's rocked and I could go on and on and on about it.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
God I miss the 80's. I used to get salt water taffy every Wednesday and Sunday on the famous Asbury Park boardwalk. You can't do that now because it's all closed down and dangerous (Wath the Robert DiNero film "City By The Sea" which is filmed in Asbury Park right where I used to go for taffy! It's not quite as bad and decrepid as the film shows it to be, but it's close).

I used to wear striped socks, short running shorts and bright t-shirts with iron on graphics for regular occassions and a sports coat and pastel button up shirts with the sleeves on both rolled up quarter ways with a loose tie, blue jans with french cuffs and an "A's" cap on backwards for special occasions. We may have dressed lke dorks, but we did it in unison!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I love the '80s!!

The 80s,so many things....

• Pop music: along with the long hairstyles of singers,layered clothing by Madonna(after Lucky Star came out,the popular girls dressed like her),songs that played when I wore my ortho. braces(Tainted Love for one).MTV was a must have back in the early 80s,catch phrase mantra 'I want my MTV!' & watching the rock bands/singers in their prime,along with the video scene making music culture all the 'fad'.Talking about songs in school,especially shop class.
  • Tv shows: Happy Days,Laverne & Shirley,Mork & Mindy,Three's Company.The end of M*A*S*H & The Muppet Show(early 80s).
  • Restaurants: Pizza Hut,Chuck E. Cheese,Sizzler,Horn & Horn
  • Video Games/Computers: Atari 2600(which I bought a few years ago off of Ebay,along with 48 games),Commedore64,TI(Texas Instruments).Gosh remembering 8 bit video games,now video games are in megs(maybe gigs too,wouldn't be surprised).Was on the internet AOL in '86.
  • Candy: Sugar Daddy,candy necklace,Bubble Yum bubble gum
  • hobbies: bowling & roller skating(reading too),ceramics & computers
  • School in the 80s: finished grade school,Junior High & graduated high school in 1988 with a certificate for good attendance(missed 4 days out of the 4 years of school,another story for another time) & graduated with a 3.0 GPA.A lot of field trips: Washington D.C. Zoo & Smithsonian Museums/Atlanta,Georgia for Marching Band(played flute) played at the Peach Bowl.Took classes such as: Spanish,French,Archeology,Biology,Algebra,Weight Lifting,guitar class.Entered college in fall of '88,studying computers;changed major to Computer Information Systems(failed Accounting).Graduated in '91 with a 3.0 GPA
  • Movies: E.T.,Indiana Jones trilogy,last 2 Star Wars(5 & 6),Back to the Future(1 & 2),my first rated 'R' film was Beverly Hills Cop
  • Learned to drive at 15,got license at 16;didn't really start to drive until I was 17
  • My first job: as soon as I turned 16,working at KFC wiping tables & sweeping/mopping the floor(for a cheap $3.25/hr. in '86)
  • My first boyfriend at 16
  • Family Vacations: Canada(Toronto & Ontario in '83),Ocean City(Maryland),Disney World(along with Epcot,MGM Studios,Pleasure Island),Virginia,Pennsylvania,New Jersey(Atlantic City).Rode my first rollercoaster in '85 LochNess Monster(BuschGardens Williamsburg,VA)
  • afore mentioned,wore orthodonic braces 2 years(in early 80s) of 'railroad tracks',and 2 more years with a full-mouth retainer.Wearing braces again now(to correct spacing from wisdom teeth being pulled & 2 crooked teeth),will be done this month.
  • First trip(to Atlanta,Georgia;afore mentioned band trip),away from home by myself(was homesick the whole trip).
  • My first theater experience: 'Cats'

minor muppetz

Reaction score
1980s

The 1980s were cool! that was a decade of nintendo. when pac-man and super mario bros. were invented. it was also the decade that VCRs became popular. it was also the decade of many great tv shows and movies. besides henson series and movies, there was back to the future, ferris beullers day off, ghostbusters, SCTV, alf, newhart, and the cosby show.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Almost every weekend 'I love the 80s! weekend',is played here on the radio station 106.5FM.Ahh,the memories.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
My favorite thing about the 80's: Me :halo:

But also Nintendo, Showbiz Pizza (Billy Bob could whoop Chuck E. Cheese any day), Muppet Babies, oh the list goes on and on.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I was watching Nick at Nite's 20th anniversary a couple of weeks ago and they were playing shows from 1985. They showed stuff I haven't seen in years like The Facts of Life. I wish they'd play more of the 80's shows and less of the 90's shows on Nick at Nite. There was good stuff back then!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Of course,there was the ever-popular video arcade;filled with Atari games,pinball machine,air hockey & foosball.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Great things from the 80's:

(1) I was born again!
(2) Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher
(3) The movies "Airplane", "Vacation", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "The Great Muppet Caper", "The Muppets Take Manhattan", "Follow that Bird", and "Back to the Future"
(4) "The Wonder Years" television show
(5) I got my driver's license, first car, first VCR (boy what a fascinating thrill it was for me that first time to record off HBO and then play it back later. Now it's so routine!) , first Atari (with hundereds of cartridges to follow!), and first girlfriend (though my first kiss was in the 70's in second grade. :wink: ).
(6) Got my high school diploma and a 2 year college degree
(7) The Washington Redskins won 2 Super Bowls!
(8) John McEnroe tennis era
(9) Debut of lots of fun arcade games ,like PacMan, Zaxxon, and Donkey Kong (downside: Would love to have all those quarters back now!)
(10) Someone gave me a lottery ticket for a Christmas present and I won!

It was only $30, but still...!