1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Baker Falling Down the Stairs Series

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Dec 11, 2002.

1. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Here are my memories of this very old and classic clip made by Jim Henson:

It starts with the kids off-screen sing "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." then backwards. Then any sponsored number flashes toward us and we get to see how many any number is. After that, it ends with the baker falling down the stairs and spills the number of desserts. After the baker fell, the kids off-screen would sing, "And that's the song of 1 (or 2, or 3, or 4, etc.)

I remembered seeing #2, #3, #4 and #7 and I listened to #6 in the middle of this year and the lyrics of #10 are on the Sesame Street Unpaved book, but they are not official.

I watched #2 and #3 on the Preimere episode, #7 on the 1980 episode at Central High School, and #4 on Sesame Street Unpaved#560 at the Museum of Television and Radio weeks ago. I also listened to #3 on Muppet Central Radio, too!

Here are the things I remembered (but I didn't recall #7) how many any number was.

2- ice cream cones, turtles, hats, heads, butterflies and today's dessert: chocolate cream pies

3- balls, peas, crocodilles, eggs, little pigs and today's dessert: birthday cakes

4- dolls, balloons, fish, wrenching toys, arms and today's dessert: root beer floats

6- chicks, squares, flying stuff (?), cats, cameras and today's dessert: strawberry shortcakes

Do you remember what desserts the baker is carrying and the things that are many any other number is? Please let me know!
  2. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

8 - blocks, clocks, puppets, puppies, ping-pong balls, raspberry pudding desserts
  3. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

that baker was none other than the one and only Jim Henson and that kid was none other than the one and only Brian Henson!
  4. Boober_Gorg

That one blonde boy, you mean.
  5. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Member

Actually, you're wrong. It WASN'T Jim Henson, as many seem to believe. However, Jim did provide his voice, and Jim also appeared in the #3 segment as the guy juggling three balls...
  6. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I definately remember they used lights from the one about number 9, because that was the one Rowlf the Dog did. (The only time I remember seeing him on the show) That's the only one I really remember.
  7. mikealan

mikealan New Member

You've remembered everything 8 is, Boober Gorg! You're the best! And you too, Daffyfan, well, I think for #9, you only remembered Rowlf the Dog saying "9 lights!"

Speaking of 9, what else comes in nine and what dessert is the baker carrying?

AND, do you remember everything how many 1, 5, 7 and 10 are?

Well...for my thought of #10, I think it had...

10- toes, bowling pins, toys, bells, triangles and today's dessert: layer cakes

I've got pictures of #10, which some lyrics are mentioned on the Unpaved book.
  8. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Member

I know 10 originally had "ten little Indians" instead of "ten bells", and the dessert was 10 CHOCOLATE layer cakes.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

One could have been one wedding cake, but I'm not sure....
  10. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Speaking of 1,

It had one bird (Little Bird), one button, one cow and one wedding cake. Was that shown on NOGGIN?
  11. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

They used this series as late as 1980? I was actually told that the reason they stopped is because they thought the baker falling down the stairs would be a bad influence to young kids.
  12. Boober_Gorg

I have the #8 clip on one of my famly tapes, which dates back to '86.
  13. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Are there any falling baker series clips here online?
  14. mikealan

mikealan New Member

the number of desserts

Maybe you'd find out what dessert was right in each series. Here we go...

1- 1 Wedding Cake
    2- 2 Chocolate Cream Pies
    3- 3 Birthday Cakes
    4- 4 Root Beer Floats
    5- 5 Pumpkin Pies
    6- 6 Strawberry Shortcakes
    7- 7 Banana Cream Pies
    8- 8 Raspberry Pudding Pies
    9- 9 Coconut Custard Pies
    10- 10 Chocolate Layer Cakes

Hope these are right!
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yeah... nothing throws kids into fits of chaos and anarchy like a guy triping over his own two feet.
  16. Boober_Gorg

I have a new theory: maybe, just maybe, the baker could have been played by Don Sahlin. Think about it - Don had a mustache around that time, and Jim was the one working the camera ... ;) Make sense?
  17. Splurge

Splurge Member

Ooohhh.... I like that theory. Of course, I always thought that was a false mustache attached on, to make the fall-guy (pun not intended) to look extra classy. That could always be applied whether one has a mustache or not. It does facially look like it could have been Don.

I have a theory that Kermit Love is in some of these clips, particularly as the professor ("10 triangles"). Kermit didn't have a beard then, but he would have had plenty of time to grow one later.
  18. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i'm pretty sure the films were used after 1980 becasue i rememeber seeing them after that. i wonder why i never saw the 1 film matter of fact i never saw SS deal with the no.1 why not? i never recall seeing the 10 indians. only 10 bells. i don't think there was anything bigotted about it. i wonder who some of the actors who were in those films. the guy in the 8 film with the 8 clocks looked like Benjamen Franklin didn't he? i wonder who was the photographer with the 6 cameras?
  19. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I recently found out the last this series was used was in Season 19, which was the time that lots of stuff was last used.
  20. Splurge

Splurge Member

See, that's the guy I think is Kermit Love. Without his beard, of course.