The best and worst uses of Flash animation

AquaGGR

Reaction score
There's this thing on the Hub called "Secret Millionaires Club" (not quite sure what it is), and the Flash animation is atrocious. It's stiff and unnatural.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those new Mickey Mouse cartoons have wonderful Flash animation.
Yeah. Don't they? You can have some very fluid animation if you remember that Flash is an animation tool, and not to abuse the Flash shortcuts.

I don't know what the heck they animate Axe Cop in, but more stuff should look like that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
That's what I think most flash lacks. Diverse and exaggerated facial expressions. Even Mucha Lucha that had library expressions managed to make some very expressive, wacky, cartoony faces.
MLP also uses a great variety of expressions, most notably and fittingly for Pinkie Pie. :big_grin:

Also, Teen Titans Go! may be a little stiff when it comes to movements, but the characters' faces are very expressive.

Drtooth said:
I don't know what the heck they animate Axe Cop in, but more stuff should look like that.
There are almost no Korean names listed on the IMDb page (usually a good sign of a traditionally-animated show, which often outsources the in-between work), so it most likely is done in Flash. Too bad High School USA doesn't look anywhere as good, though it's far from the worst thing done in Flash. There's some nice cigarette smoke effects, for one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Teen Titans Go's animation is very impressive. Not half as good as the original DC Nation Shorts that inspired the show, but for the look they're going for, it looks good. It's actually the same Flash animation they use for some Mad segments.

Still, I wish they didn't decide to make Robin a complete ****** and moron.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've just watched the first episode of SheZow, and the animation is pretty good. Not Titmouse (Motorcity) or Augenblick (season 1 of Superjail!) or even Fresh TV (Grojband) good, but certainly far above others. A good variety of character perspectives are used, and particle effects like smoke are nicely done.

And speaking of Titmouse, I've been bombarded with web ads for the new season of China, IL, and it looks darn impressive despite the sketchbook style.

Xerus

Reaction score
I wanted to make my Rebusquest comic a flash animated series, but then I learned hiring a flash animation studio is pretty expensive.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wanted to make my Rebusquest comic a flash animated series, but then I learned hiring a flash animation studio is pretty expensive.
You know what would be cool? Considering how much your comics are a throwback to classic Saturday Morning fare is if you could find a studio willing to traditionally animate the cartoons for you, kind of like the approach Danny Antonucci took when he made ED, EDD N EDDY (though I think I heard he shut down his studio).

Xerus

Reaction score
You know what would be cool? Considering how much your comics are a throwback to classic Saturday Morning fare is if you could find a studio willing to traditionally animate the cartoons for you, kind of like the approach Danny Antonucci took when he made ED, EDD N EDDY (though I think I heard he shut down his studio).
That would be great. If I can only find the right studio who would give me a chance. Which is why I've been trying to find different ways to introduce RQ to different people either on fan sites and at conventions.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's another bad Flash job I came across thanks to Emer Prevost's recent Reaction & Review video: Cheech & Chong's Animated Movie. TONS of stiffness, motion tweens, and library expressions to be found here.

Meanwhile, Wander Over Yonder continues to impress me with its bounciness and fluidity. Reminds me a bit of Ren & Stimpy in those instances. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I found this on YouTube, and it's actually pretty well animated, so much in fact, this almost looks like an actual episode of EEE (which, ironically, was hand-drawn):

Warning: VERY adult.