The Best Sequels Ever Thread!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's been quite a bit of discussion lately about how there's so many movies out there that are fine the way they are, and don't need to be ruined by sequels *cough*Ice Age*cough*

On the other hand, some movies out there DO tend to spawn off sequels that are even better than the originals they're following; it's rare, but it sometimes happens. Take the Austin Powers trilogy, in my opinion, each one was better than the one before it, and I believe that Goldmember was the best of all three of them.

Two sequels that I believe were better than their firsts are The Santa Clause 2 and Shrek 2; TSC2 to me was a lot more cheerful and merry than the first, whereas I feel Shrek 2 had a much better overall story flow and plot than the first. I still haven't seen The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause just yet :smile:o ), and I think Shrek the Third was only good if you're looking for nothing more than a simple laugh fest.

At the same time, sometimes movies tend to have sequels that are on a bit of an even plane with their originals... like both the Toy Story and Stuart Little sequels; Home Alone 2: Lost in New York was just as good, as was Home Alone 3 (so it had a different cast of characters, at least a lot of the original production team still worked on it, so it had the same vibes and atmosphere).

zakima2

Reaction score
I personally think that sequels are great, I adored the Disney Sequels to no end until they found an end with john lasseter when the creep came to disney. People gripe about disney sequels however pixar is doing the same darn thing with toystory, cars and monsters inc. I am inclined to believe that if these movies that are comming out albeit if they are two's or three's are still sequels and pixar who claims to hate sequels and hence the reason they stopped Disney Toon Studios from making anymore, is to start making sequels to their own films, than shame on them. I personally found Bother Bears 2, Bambi 2, Little Mermaid 3, and many more to all be amazing, I mean the Fox and the Hound 2 was beautiful and fun.... For those of you who say you just can't watch these movies because they suck, let me ask you something if you can't watch them why judge them. Anyway I thank everyone for letting me have my rant, I love sequels and remakes so bring them on. Also when is the Henson Co gonna get off their daft butts and release Dark Crystal 2 and Fraggle Rock Movie... probally never I mean FR was suppose to come out this year when is it pushed back till 2929.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think Monster's, Inc. needs a sequel either, lol.

Knowing Disney, hopefully they'll shelf it.

Nick22

Reaction score
i usually like all sequels. i liked ice age 2, and 3 looks dumb and i have absolutely NO intention of seeing it. night at the museum 2 was rully good. cinderella 2, for me, was only okay. but i rully liked the third one. daddy day camp sucked.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I find Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior to be a lot better than the first, mainly because the post-apocalypse is explained better, and the action is a lot more intense.

Fluffets

Reaction score
I sort ofthought Ice age 3 was too short and had a lot of risqe-ish moments, like this bit

Sid: "It's a boy!"
Diego:"No Sid, that's it's tail!"

And even the plot was a bit TMI because it revolves around (among other things) Manny and er..... the other one have a child. It was also great to have Simon Pegg in it as Buck but he sounded a lot more like Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I sort ofthought Ice age 3 was too short
It was 94 minutes long... that's pretty average for a decent movie, though I felt they relied WAY too much on cultural references to get laughs. It wasn't very original all way around.

Fluffets

Reaction score
It was 94 minutes long... that's pretty average for a decent movie, though I felt they relied WAY too much on cultural references to get laughs. It wasn't very original all way around.

Yeah too many cheap jokes and yet even more characters added to the ever-expanding universe of Ice Age, next time I think they shouldn't add any more characters or the herd'll be too big to be a small family-like group of characters. Oh wait, it already is! 2 and 3 went to far I think but 3 is the worst, plus what happened to the humans/neanderthals?:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And even the plot was a bit TMI because it revolves around (among other things) Manny and er..... the other one have a child. It was also great to have Simon Pegg in it as Buck but he sounded a lot more like Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.
Simon Pegg pretty much carried the film... I felt that the Diego aspect of the movie was too truncated and not explored... and I have to say, a PG movie that makes so many privates jokes and doesn't even say a mild swear word is a mental screw up.

I think Shrek the Third was only good if you're looking for nothing more than a simple laugh fest.
Shrek 3 suffered taking too many aspects of the first 2 movies... Shrek whining about how he's an ogre, and how everything is different... something well established in the first one. And Puss and Donkey's annoying sibling rivalry wore VERY thin... that part where they were in each other's body and moaning about it went on WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long. However, I loved the part about the anti-Prince Princess resistance group and the whole Knight School thing. If only the rest of the film was like that.

As for Best sequals... Empire Strikes Back and Back to the Future 2. No need to explain for ESB, but I will go on about BTTF2... not only did it reference the first movie, it took place DURING the first movie, with the characters interacting with their pasts to create the very time Paradoxes that Doc was warning about. Plus the future sequence was so much fun. Too bad the year 2000 whatever didn't look a THING like that.

Yeah, I don't think Monster's, Inc. needs a sequel either, lol.
I have no clue when this was announced, and I also feel it would be needless. The story, as far as I'm concerned is over. Now, TS3 is a movie that they clearly wanted to make to zetz Disney... Before Disney just bought out Pixar, they threatened to make a TS3 with their own inhouse CGI studio. Now, I feel we're going to get a great character driven piece about what happens when Andy grows up and how his old friends cope with it. Cars 2... well, that seems like a toy commercial. The whole plot revolves around Mater and Lightning going all over the world to race... add to the fact they're bumping it up... that really worries me. Plus, much as I liked Cars, it was my least favorite Pixar film

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I felt that the Diego aspect of the movie was too truncated and not explored...
Diego had no character development in the third movie whatsoever; it was more or less like he was just there, along for the ride.

I forgot to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed both The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under.

I also liked both the direct-to-video sequels to The Brave Little Toaster, though the Mars one was really good, I kind of felt the To the Rescue one wasn't as good; ironically, To the Rescue was made before Mars (which makes sense, as the events of To the Rescue happen before Mars), yet Mars was released on video first.