1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by dwayne1115, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Wow i thought it would be nice to bump this thread and maybe see if anyone would have any questions for Jim! Allthough Jim did not work on the new movie he has been helping with all the promotions, and he may be able to just see if there are any other things we would want to ask. Anyways just thought I would bump the tread.
  2. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Great idea.

I had a good one a few days ago, but I forgot to write it down and now I can't remember it.
  3. dwayne1115

oh no that's to bad! do you have a idea what it was about?
  4. ZeppoAndFriends

5. ZeppoAndFriends

I remembered it!

Dear Mr. Lewis,

I've read a few news articles (with statements from shady unnamed sources) which state that several Muppeteers who shall remain nameless (though they did everything short of pointing a giant neon arrow at Steve) have levels of dissatifaction with The Muppets, ranging from 'Unhappy with' to 'Complete and utter loathing for'. Do you know if this is true or not?

Signed, ZeppoAndFriends​
  6. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Jim,

What's your favorite joke in the new movie?
  7. ZeppoAndFriends

No, wait. That wasn't what I wanted to ask Jim. That was something I was trying to remember for another thread. Please ignore that.
  8. dwayne1115

I'm kind of glad because Jim has said that he is close to a lot of the Muppeter's and that he really dose not like talking about there opions or of things like that.
    My personal feeling about that is listen to Steve's interview on the Muppetcast. Steve talks in grave detail about the personality of not only Kermit, but Beaker and Rizzo as well. He has a very deep understanding of the Muppets he prefroms and it really shows in that interview. Also most of the times that we have heard anything from any of the Muppeters that have spoke about how Jim Lewis really has the "voice" of the Muppets. Now I'm not bashing on the new movie or Jason Segal for writing it but if any prefromer who has worked with the Muppets for over 30+ years had questions or concerns about the script they should have taken heed. Now that is clearly my personal feelings on the issue and has nothing to do with Jim.
  9. Mike Quinn

Mike Quinn Member

Just a quick note, glad to see this Jim Lewis thread here. Jim's a great guy. I worked with him on season one of The Animal Show and probably a few other bits too. He comes from the Jerry Juhl/Jocelyn Stevenson school of Muppet writing so has a great pedigree.
    It was really fun working with him again on the studio floor shooting the promo bits for The Muppets film. It really reminded me of the old days when Jerry Juhl would be on set and come up with comedy bits and lines on the fly for Jim and Frank - total Muppet top of the head fun and insanity! Really funny stuff. I hadn't seen Jim in forever and was so grateful to hook up with him again :)
  10. dwayne1115

I thought I would do some Thread bumping tonight and this one was the first one that came to my mind. We may have some new members who may have not known about this thread and still may have a question for Long time Muppet Writer Jim Lewis.
    If there are enough I'll send then and we can have more Q&A fun like the good ol' days.
  11. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

I have one:

When will Jim Lewis stop flanderizing the characters, especially Piggy?
    MrBloogarFoobly likes this.
  12. dwayne1115

What do you mean by flanderizing?
  13. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

"Flanderization" is a TvTropes-ism, meaning a once complex character has been reduced to merely a 1D personality. Their example is Ned Flanders on the Simpsons was at first just a neighbor who was everything Homer was not, then he slowly became an ultra-Christian.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  14. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

"Dear Jim! Things are looking consistently up with the Muppets of late, and I hope you are doing well too. What are you up to these days? Are you busy gearing up for the next release? What is a normal day in Muppet Land!? Best wishes, Beauregard (MC!)"
  15. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Double post, but, also Dwayneieeee baaaaaaaby! Hope you are doing good as well and glad to see you've brought the thread back!
  16. dwayne1115

Thanks, I'm doing ok I am out of work right now and that gives me a little more time for MC and I thought why not do something constructive.
  17. dwayne1115

Could you give an example of this and we could inculd it into the question?
  18. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Piggy is the best example. She used to be a full-blooded, vunerable character with some extreme narcissim and nerosis. One of the ways Frank Oz explained her essence as "a truck driver who wants to be a woman." Then, somewhere around 2000, she was slimmed down to a character who resolved everything with a karate chop. She became pure physical comedy, and not very good physical comedy, either.

Now, one can argue that she didn't have a chance to be herself, because the Muppets only had a few (pretty crummy) TV movies and a handful of apperances. In "The Muppets" she definately started to return to her old, complicated self. But if you look at the apperances when Oz was still handling her, she was still written better, and did more than just beat the frog up. Part of this may be due to the fact that Oz created the character, had her longer, and was very particular about what she said and did.
  19. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Exactly. Plus, she's almost always grumpy and acts more like an overprotective or abusive parent towards the frog with a somewhat dictator-like attitude. And Kermit is too afraid to put her in her place these days as well, whereas Jim's Kermit actually did have the guts to stand up to her and punish her when he had to (like in the Dom DeLuise and Loretta Swit episodes of TMS). Kermit wasn't even afraid to fire her or even threaten her with a firing. And he could easily do it again.

She has also seemed to regress back to her over-the-top aggressive side that was most prevelant in the first three seasons of TMS and with her relationship with Kermit seems to have reverted back to its original "Stalker with a Crush" form rather than continuing the more developed, complex version of their relationship that it was developed and domesticated into before TMS ended and throughout the 1980's.

Even things that have been written in in-character press releases and interview articles for her to say have gone against her personality and taken to extremes that even she never really went to (such as Piggy saying "As soon as Amy Adams learned the rules of not touching the frog", Kermit saying "Piggy wouldn't let me near Amy Adams", Kermit saying that he won't say who his other favorite female artists because Piggy won't let him, etc.). All of which is just plain STUPID and makes their relationship come off as an abusive one rather than the loving, complex one that we would much rather see. Good relationships are built on understandings, not abuse!

She also didn't always barge in when the frog had intimate moments with female celebrities/guest stars and seldom, if ever, got mad when he did duets with other women or got hugs or kisses from them ("Friends hug! Friends don't spy!"--a valuable lesson that the modern Piggy has clearly forgotten about and needs to re-learn). As the characters and their relationship evolved, the frog and pig did seem to have an understanding in regards to all that, even when the frog did appear with other women or when Piggy appeared with other men. I give you the fact that such understanding seemed to be non-existent in the first three seasons of TMS, but still, the fact remains that they had an understanding and remained loyal to each other and never cheated, no matter what.

Not only that. The pig did recieve her share of negative karma in the past as well, especially when she really crossed the line (like in the Dom DeLuise, Leslie Uggams, Lynn Redgrave and Loretta Swit TMS episodes). Today, she has not only lost her vulnerability, but she's now practically a "Karma Houdini" (to borrow another trope from TVTropes.org) and never gets her comeuppance when she really should (even though the ending of the Muppets' Good Luck Charlie guest episode should be edited out of all future broadcasts due to the pig getting way too out-of-character, something bad should've at least happened to Piggy, similar to her failed attempt at chopping Big Bird).

And when Piggy did use karate, it was only when she felt insulted or was actually provoked. Even then, when she did chop another character, it was usually because they actually deserved it (like with Kermit in the Lena Horne TMS episode, Fozzie in the Candice Bergen TMS episode, the various Muppet movie villains, etc.). Even then, there was usually some sort of build-up that occured before she resorted to a karate chop (like in the aforementioned TMS episodes).

Heck, there were even quite a few Muppet productions where Piggy didn't use karate at all or did not threaten anyone in any way (such as A Muppet Family Christmas). The writers, including Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher, should not feel obligated to put chops or threats into every Piggy appearance--it's gotten old and was better off being used sparingly.

So, to Lewis, Thatcher, Jacobson, et al., please take all of this to heart when writing for Piggy again in the future. Stop making her into the one-dimensional character that she has been Flanderized into and restore her original complexities! It would make her character a lot more likable again (hope TM is only the beginning of her character regaining her complexities and hope the other writers will continue that).
  20. dwayne1115

Wow now I have to figure out how to put all this in a question. It's a good question amd I agree with you about the way the writing style for Piggy has changed over the years This might very well be one of the best or most talked about questions we have ever done with this, so I want to ask it right.