The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow Wonderful question, and that second one might get an answer as well not really sure.

I think we have some great questions, and some comming soon I hope! If Ryan wants to send this next batch I would not mind at all.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Wow Wonderful question, and that second one might get an answer as well not really sure.

I think we have some great questions, and some comming soon I hope! If Ryan wants to send this next batch I would not mind at all.
I can do that, Dwayne! I'll wait till the end of the day for people to ask more questions and then I'll send them off. :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wonderful because I'm dieing to ask about the new "Stand By Me" Video.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I noticed that you didn't write the special, but Produced it. Were the writers mainly writing for the Disney stars, while you imputted thoughts and lines and ideas for the Muppets? I'm sure I noticed your signature on some of the lines! Which I loved, obviously. The Electric Mayhem were especially awesome! It was great to see Floyd and he was awesome and now I keep saying awesome so many times I sound like a crazed fanboy. Pfft...who am I fooling? I am a crazed fanboy.

Anyway, I noticed that Selena Gomez seemed particularly comfortable working with the Muppets and wondered if you had any experiences with the Disney Kid Stars themselves during the making of these shows that you could share with us?

Also, there is a character in the show that is blue with white hair and whiskers that sometimes lip-synchs with what the announcer of saying and then seems embarrassed because people think it's him speaking. I loved that gag! Does this guy have a name?

And that's all the badly formulated questions from me for today, but I'm sure I'll have a ton more about Studio DC the more times I watch it!

P.S. Did I mention that I love it?

--Beauregard

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey Jim, I have another question. Do you know (or could you ask him sometime?) what motivates Carl the Big Mean Bunny to eat bunnies? Hunger? Meanness? Addiction? Any thoughts would be appreciated. - Beau{Thinking too deeply about these things}regard

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
In the time that Pixar has been a part of Disney, John Lasseter has taken the reins at much of Disney's animation and theme park properties quite forcefully to great results. Has Lasseter had any involvement with the Muppets since the merger?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I hope we get the answers soon!
I haven't gotten the chance to send them off yet--I've been composing an interview for the Mindset--but I'm planning to send them off as soon as I wake up tomorrow!

Thanks for understanding, gang! :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Souds great Ryan! if you needed help with the interview or any coming up let me know.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Questions for Jim Lewis – April 3, 2010

From minor muppetz…
New question for Jim: Did you write anything in the Weezer "Keep Fishing" music video (I'm referring to the pre-performance backstage scene, but also Statler and Waldorf's ending comment and maybe the backstage action that happened during the music video)?

I helped with the scenario—i.e. the backstage action—though what any of that had to do with “Fishing” is beyond me. Personally, I’d have preferred if they did the whole thing as a tribute to Lew Zealand. Where’s Lew’s lifetime achievement award? As for the Statler & Waldorf line: I may have written it, but can’t remember…but that’s okay, neither can Statler & Waldorf.

From Convincing John…
I have a question for Mr. Lewis, if he wouldn't mind answering.

My question has to do with something Harry Belafonte wrote about David Lazer. It's found in the introduction of the book "Jim Henson: The Works", which most of us have.

Here is the quote:

I am forever grateful for my friendship with David Lazer. He helped my wife, Julie, and me understand the Muppet family with far greater intimacy than we may have otherwise been afforded. If this were not an introduction, I would take the time to tell you an intriguing story about an old English circus manager's wagon and its mysterious disappearance somewhere in the English countryside. Those of you who know David should one day ask him to tell you this wonderful tale.

So...what is this tale? I'd love to hear it or read it. Since chances are slim most of us will ever meet Mr. Lazer in person, can Mr. Lewis ask Mr. Lazer to post the story online?

I have met David and am forever grateful. He personifies class, integrity and wit – a man who can be thoroughly business-like and still deal with all the craziness that is part and parcel of the Muppets. I am blessed to have talked with him and be with him on many occasions. However, I have never asked him about this story. Were that I had, I would (with his permission) share it. But now I know enough to ask, I shall when the opportunity arises. I’ll let you know. (To be fair, I don’t speak with David that often. He lives on Mt. Olympus, as well he should, and I work in the vineyards far below.)

I was toying with asking a second question...I'm still looking for the meaning to the word "Abatiwaha" from this thread, but I doubt anyone but Belafonte would know the answer to that one. If you think Mr. Lewis would have the answer, go ahead and ask him.Thank you-Convincing John

And with this answer we formally change the name of this thread to: “Why Bother Asking Jim Lewis”. I don’t know the answer and I don’t know Harry Belafonte, so chances of getting you an answer on this are less than good.

From Beauregard…
I noticed that you didn't write the special, but Produced it. Were the writers mainly writing for the Disney stars, while you imputed thoughts and lines and ideas for the Muppets? I'm sure I noticed your signature on some of the lines! Which I loved, obviously. The Electric Mayhem were especially awesome! It was great to see Floyd and he was awesome and now I keep saying awesome so many times I sound like a crazed fanboy. Pfft...who am I fooling? I am a crazed fanboy.

I didn’t write it. But as a producer, I had input and along with my co-producer Kirk Thatcher, kept the Muppet character moments on target (or tried). Glad the video came out, cause the on-air version had to be trimmed a lot. Also, as a father of kids who are Disney Channel watchers, I was far too familiar with the backstory on each and every star we met – and in trouble at home because I didn’t bring my kids to the set.

Anyway, I noticed that Selena Gomez seemed particularly comfortable working with the Muppets and wondered if you had any experiences with the Disney Kid Stars themselves during the making of these shows that you could share with us?

Selena was great, as were all the kid stars. Very very wonderful experience. No attitude from any of them. They were like my kids (only more polite) and in many cases their parents were there, too. Plus, there’s something natural about younger actors/performers and Muppets. The DC performers really treat the Muppets like they’re real (cause they are…duh).

Also, there is a character in the show that is blue with white hair and whiskers that sometimes lip-synchs with what the announcer of saying and then seems embarrassed because people think it's him speaking. I loved that gag! Does this guy have a name?

I have to watch the show again. I missed the blue, white hair, whiskered guy …. Hey wait, that sounds like me.

From BobthePizzaBoy…
In the time that Pixar has been a part of Disney, John Lasseter has taken the reins at much of Disney's animation and theme park properties quite forcefully to great results. Has Lasseter had any involvement with the Muppets since the merger?

He’s a big fan of the Muppets. And we – I can universally say – are fans of him and Pixar. Hey, who’s not. There’s a similar commitment to telling stories with laughs and characters and heart. John and company take it to a whole ‘nuther level. As for direct involvement with Muppets: not really, but it would be wonderful. John’s a great guy – and I covet his shirts.

From Beauregard…
Hey Jim, I have another question. Do you know (or could you ask him sometime?) what motivates Carl the Big Mean Bunny to eat bunnies? Hunger? Meanness? Addiction? Any thoughts would be appreciated. - Beau{Thinking too deeply about these things}regard

Consumo ergo sum – That is, He eats (bunnies and anything else) and therefore he is. Eating stuff is Carl’s reason for existence. It sustains him and defines him. And it’s funny. Plus Carl is the logical progression of Jerry Juhl’s long-standing rule: if you don’t know how to end a bit, then have one of the characters explode or eat another character. If any of you haven’t seen “Stand By Me” video (and I doubt that), check it out.