The Complete History of Mahna Mahna and his alter ego Bip Bipadotta

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I think the Brown Haired version was a different character, not necessarily Mahna Mahna (TMS, etc) or Bip Bipadotta (SS).

Why there were so many different variations of him for The Muppets' use, or so many different Bips, is still beyond me.

Keep in mind that Mahna Mahna is the character used when NOT on SS.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm still working on our article...
Here's what I've found on MC so far:

Mikealan: “Season Five Premiere (#536)-Fat Cat by Mahna Mahna-D and 2”
I have the Muppet Show version of Mahna Mahna on the Juiet Prowse episode of The Muppet Show on Time-Life Muppet Show video volume number 15. I, of course, have the original Sesame Street version of Mahna Mahna from 1969 on the Rainstorm episode from 1972 of Sesame Street Unpaved.
The different Mahna Mahna on Sesame Street wears sunglasses and sings Everybody's Song and Scratch My Back. I have the Scratch My Back song with Mahna Mahna on tape that has parts of the 1987-88 season of SS ("My first Sesame Street").
I surely do remember seeing the other different Mahna Mahna singing Fat Cat Sat Hat on Sesame Street Unpaved-episode #536 at the Museum of Television & Radio, too!

and

Mahna Mahna, who appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1970.
Danny Horn, Toughpigs.com

and

Phillip Chapman noted:
Mahna Mahna first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1968, Sesame in 1969, then the Muppet Show in 1976.

So, was the Ed Sullivan show appearance in 1970 or 1968.
What was the release date of the Juliet Prowse ep?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Two more questions:

Anybody know the date of Mahna's appearance with Sandra Bullock on Muppets Tonight? I was looking at episode guides of MT and did not see where Mahna was listed in that episode, or even Sandra doing the song. Sup?

What was the dates of Mahna's "BIP" appearances on SS and songs? Anybody know? FOZZIEMUP@aol.com

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Since TMS episodes could be aired in any order across the country, there's no way for sure to know the original airdate for the Juliet Prowse ep. The date listed at Kermitage.com is Apr. 25, 1977.

As far as I know, Mahna does not actually appear in the Sandra Bullock episode; instead Kermit and Sandra do a quick reindition with the Snowths. This episode first aired Jun. 23, 1996.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
According to someone on here, Mahna Mahna didn't make it to Muppets Tonight for this episode. Only the Snowths with Kermit singing the "Phenomenon" parts. I believe Sandra Bullock played a psychiatrist that Kermit was telling about the "Phenomeon", but I can't remember. It's been a long time.

I thought Mahna Mahna was on the episode too!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!

Now, back to Ed Sullivan:

I was shown 11/20/1969 for Mahna's date there, and I get two other dates:
Phillip Chapman says 1968, and on SS in 1969
MikeAlan shows it on SS in 1969
Danny Horn (TP) shows it in 1970

The Muppet Show date is listed as:
The date listed at Kermitage.com is Apr. 25, 1977.
Phil said he was on the Muppet Show in 1976.

Henson.com shows the date created as the 1960's.

What's the correct date for the Ed Sullivan appearance for SURE??

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Also, I'm doing research on Mahna Mahna, and I found this website:
http://supi.hoc-media.de/5.html

So, what does all this stuff translate into? Anything I can use regarding OUR Mahna Mahna??
"Letzte Aktualisierung: 10 April 2003 um 14:47:24"

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I have no idea what any of it said, but it sure is fun to click on links when you have no idea what they lead you to.

Sprocken de deutch de "Mahna-Mahna"!