The End of Sesame Street is near?

CoOKiE

Reaction score
At work, and i work at a children's shelter, i talked to a co-worker, that also works for a head start program (like Preschool), and learned that this may be Sesame Streets FINAL season, as far as the Street we have all grown up to know.

I have not heard ANYTHING here on it, but theres a news letter going around for teachers and parents, that Sesame Street is changing.

I'm hoping to hear more about others who have heard this. And also hoping to get my hands on the source of this rumor. My wo-worker is going to try and find it for me.

Appearently, and we have seen changes already, Cookie Monster is no longer going to be called Cookie! But Veggi Monster. We all know that this season's knew healthy eating has changed his diet, but now his name will be changed.

Also, and i think its about time it cought up to him, the end of Oscar. Because it teaches children to be grouchy and live in a can.

My outlook on the loveable grouch, is we can teach our children how to deal with grouchy people, not to hate them but still be their friend, and not give up on them. And also, how do deal with being a grouch themselves.

Like i said, i work at a shelter, and i think what alot of parents do is use Sesame Street as a day care, more so then a program to watch for the both of them. I believe the Parent has to be there to point out things like what the characters are doing, when they're dealing with Oscar's attitude. Yes, Elmo talks to his audience, but he isn't helping each individual who needs to learn different ways. Each child learns differently. For instence, i'm a person who cant learn if you're telling me about something, i have to see it. ex: telling me how to get to a store, i'm not good with street lights, but i am with visual surroundings.

Another thing, the end of Elmo because of the way he talks. Its not teaching children to talk properly. Then again, it goes back to SS not being a day care/teacher substitute.

I'll update more once i get the paper thats been floating around. Till then, what does anyone else feel, or maybe someone else has heard about this.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Ive never heard any of this- especialy calling Cookie Monster Veggie monster! sounds like a horrible rumor

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Answers to your question...

Is all of this true? The answers are:

NO,

NO,

NO,

and NO.

The Street we've known and loved WILL continue and progress for the next years to come. Cookie Monster and Oscar are totally fine: NOTHING bad is ever going to happen to our two favorite characters. In fact, the same goes with our other faves(Grover, Ernie, Bert and so on)

And there's definetely no way of killing off Elmo. Yeah sure he may be a problem to older fans but he's mainly for the little kids(the show's target age group) and they like him. Plus, I heard that that's how the Workshop gets the profits.

In other words, don't always listen to what you hear from other people. Especially when it sounds like a load of (yeah you get it). Please, stop worrying and ignore all that nonsense, okay?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
When I see it, I'll believe it. But until then...no way.

MuppetMarc

Reaction score
I am sick of how these parents are blaming Cookie Monster for their child being obese! Maybe it's genetic and their child received it from them. They dont' seem to realize that they are in control of what their child eats, not the television. They just need an escape goat for their lousy parenting!:rolleyes:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
CoOKiE said:
At work, and i work at a children's shelter, i talked to a co-worker, that also works for a head start program (like Preschool), and learned that this may be Sesame Streets FINAL season, as far as the Street we have all grown up to know.
This sounds like the ongoing battle of financial support congress isn't willing to help fund PBS with, but that's been an issue for years.
CoOKiE said:
Appearently, and we have seen changes already, Cookie Monster is no longer going to be called Cookie! But Veggi Monster. We all know that this season's knew healthy eating has changed his diet, but now his name will be changed.
This is an older story that was the product of misinformation and internet hype. Wikipedia can shed some light on that:
Veggie Monster scare
As part of the Healthy Habits programming, Sesame Workshop "broadening Cookie Monster's eating habits". In actuality, the company had begun broadening his intake as early as 1990 with the song "Healthy Food", by Christopher Cerf. The song was remade for 2006 with rapper Wyclef Jean as a guest star. A 1999 Sesame Street Beat Newsletter for parents discussed his balanced lifestyle:
Lately, Cookie has also taught children the importance of eating a balanced diet. This doesn't mean that Cookie rounds out his diet with plates, trucks, ukuleles, and other objects the munching monster has been known to devour. This means that Cookie now eats a fair share of salads, meats, and vegetables to set a good example for viewers at home. And Cookie doesn't mind a bit. Sure he loves cookies, but he likes the act of eating in general. As long as his mouth is full, his heart is happy.
The international media picked up on the story, but instead a high percentage twisted it into sensationalism, with headlines like "'Sesame Street' tosses its cookies" or claiming the character was "sent on a diet". Widespread internet rumor was launched that PBS forced Sesame Workshop to literally rename Cookie Monster as "Veggie Monster". An Internet petition/boycott received hundreds of signatures of support, from misinformed webziens.
CoOKiE said:
Another thing, the end of Elmo because of the way he talks. Its not teaching children to talk properly. Then again, it goes back to SS not being a day care/teacher substitute.
That's just insanity and sounds strangely familiar to the death of Ernie rumor from several years back. Thanks to the internet, false rumors are rampant and any such information should be taken with a grain of salt until it can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. The Oscar being a bad influence has been around (as I've heard it) from day one, and here we are almost 40 years later and the grouch is still around, so I wouldn't put too much worry into losing him either. Hope this helps.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
i too wasn't THAT worried. I know that there are parents that are teaching their children that Cookie Monster is now Veggi monster.... But i didn't think that it was going to be "the end" of SS. Killing off long time favs would be the worst idea they could do.

I argued the same points with my co-worker about this rumor, but i still want to see this newsletter thats being passed around. Just wanted to know if n e one else has seen it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know this is probably just a rumor, but this whole thing about people calling him "Veggie Monster." Sounds very Stepford Wives to me...