1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The End of Sesame Street is near?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by CoOKiE, Oct 22, 2006.

1. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

At work, and i work at a children's shelter, i talked to a co-worker, that also works for a head start program (like Preschool), and learned that this may be Sesame Streets FINAL season, as far as the Street we have all grown up to know.

I have not heard ANYTHING here on it, but theres a news letter going around for teachers and parents, that Sesame Street is changing.

I'm hoping to hear more about others who have heard this. And also hoping to get my hands on the source of this rumor. My wo-worker is going to try and find it for me.

Appearently, and we have seen changes already, Cookie Monster is no longer going to be called Cookie! But Veggi Monster. We all know that this season's knew healthy eating has changed his diet, but now his name will be changed.

Also, and i think its about time it cought up to him, the end of Oscar. Because it teaches children to be grouchy and live in a can.

My outlook on the loveable grouch, is we can teach our children how to deal with grouchy people, not to hate them but still be their friend, and not give up on them. And also, how do deal with being a grouch themselves.

Like i said, i work at a shelter, and i think what alot of parents do is use Sesame Street as a day care, more so then a program to watch for the both of them. I believe the Parent has to be there to point out things like what the characters are doing, when they're dealing with Oscar's attitude. Yes, Elmo talks to his audience, but he isn't helping each individual who needs to learn different ways. Each child learns differently. For instence, i'm a person who cant learn if you're telling me about something, i have to see it. ex: telling me how to get to a store, i'm not good with street lights, but i am with visual surroundings.

Another thing, the end of Elmo because of the way he talks. Its not teaching children to talk properly. Then again, it goes back to SS not being a day care/teacher substitute.

I'll update more once i get the paper thats been floating around. Till then, what does anyone else feel, or maybe someone else has heard about this.
  2. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

Ive never heard any of this- especialy calling Cookie Monster Veggie monster! sounds like a horrible rumor
  3. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

Answers to your question...

Is all of this true? The answers are:

NO,

NO,

NO,

and NO.

The Street we've known and loved WILL continue and progress for the next years to come. Cookie Monster and Oscar are totally fine: NOTHING bad is ever going to happen to our two favorite characters. In fact, the same goes with our other faves(Grover, Ernie, Bert and so on)

And there's definetely no way of killing off Elmo. Yeah sure he may be a problem to older fans but he's mainly for the little kids(the show's target age group) and they like him. Plus, I heard that that's how the Workshop gets the profits.

In other words, don't always listen to what you hear from other people. Especially when it sounds like a load of (yeah you get it). Please, stop worrying and ignore all that nonsense, okay?
  4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

When I see it, I'll believe it. But until then...no way.
  5. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Oh please...:rolleyes:
  6. MuppetMarc

MuppetMarc New Member

I am sick of how these parents are blaming Cookie Monster for their child being obese! Maybe it's genetic and their child received it from them. They dont' seem to realize that they are in control of what their child eats, not the television. They just need an escape goat for their lousy parenting!:rolleyes:
  7. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

This sounds like the ongoing battle of financial support congress isn't willing to help fund PBS with, but that's been an issue for years.
    This is an older story that was the product of misinformation and internet hype. Wikipedia can shed some light on that:
    That's just insanity and sounds strangely familiar to the death of Ernie rumor from several years back. Thanks to the internet, false rumors are rampant and any such information should be taken with a grain of salt until it can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. The Oscar being a bad influence has been around (as I've heard it) from day one, and here we are almost 40 years later and the grouch is still around, so I wouldn't put too much worry into losing him either. Hope this helps.
  8. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

i too wasn't THAT worried. I know that there are parents that are teaching their children that Cookie Monster is now Veggi monster.... But i didn't think that it was going to be "the end" of SS. Killing off long time favs would be the worst idea they could do.

I argued the same points with my co-worker about this rumor, but i still want to see this newsletter thats being passed around. Just wanted to know if n e one else has seen it.
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I know this is probably just a rumor, but this whole thing about people calling him "Veggie Monster." Sounds very Stepford Wives to me...
  10. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Ha! Yeah, I'll say it dose heraled!
  11. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

It is a rumor, I just posted where it came from! :)
  12. dkmontgomery

dkmontgomery Member

wow

Rumor - good to hear. :attitude:

No Cookie or Oscar would be a tragedy.:rolleyes:
  13. Marky

Marky Member

... and they're gonna make Episdodes VII, VIII & IX... and thaw Walt Disney's head, and LOST season 3 end with a swashbuckling pirate scene, and Captain Crunch is replacing Jay Leno...

By the way, I remember the death rumor being about Bert! :(
  14. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Yeah, the Vegie Monster thing is just ridiculous. You know why I think there is an obesity problem in our youth today? Because kids aren't outside playing the way they used too. They're inside watching/playing videogames and television all day.
  15. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

Well maybe Veggie Monster could be an alterego of Cookie Monster like the Incredible Hulk. like when Cookie Monster decides he needs to eat some leafy greens he changes and *CRASH* *BOOM* he changes into the Edible Hulk who only eats vegetables.
  16. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

"... and they're gonna make Episdodes VII, VIII & IX... and thaw Walt Disney's head, and LOST season 3 end with a swashbuckling pirate scene, and Captain Crunch is replacing Jay Leno..."

En guard!
  17. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You know, I with Captain Crunch would replace Jay Leno. Oh well, it looks like we have the next best thing, though...Conon O'Brien.:D
  18. Marky

Marky Member

rofl!
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Basically.... I can't even find this the least bit true out of anything. Unless SW goes completely Bankrupt and some other company buys them out and views it unsuccessful, I don't see it ending any sooner than SNL or Meet The Press.

I agree parents use it as cheap day care... but that's true for TV in general. Look at Nick Jr. and Tickle U.... nothing but baby sitters with no bloody substance.

The Veggie Monster thing is as blown out of proportion as the rumors of a Sailor Moon movie with Lindsay Lohan. We ALL remember the truth was they toned down his eating cookies to a fraction of a percent. They sang how Cookies were sometimes foods, and plastered big blue all over apple sauce containers... that was about it.

Anything else is idiot parent talk. No Oscar and No Elmo.... preposterous. The entire idea of Oscar is that he really DOES care about everyone, and they all take his grouchiness with gentile humor. And Elmo? He's more articulate than the average 3 1/2 year old, speaking in third person and everything.
  20. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Well said, Drtooth.:D