1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The evolution of Bert & Ernie

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by MIKEB97, May 5, 2002.

1. Ya know what? If you plug in "Jackie" where it says "Bert" and "Emmy" "Ernie", this takes on a whooooole new level of humor... *snicker* :)
  2. Uh, ya mean "argyle" socks? lol :p Looks like you were too excited over them saddle shoes!

And just make sure the muffins aren't rubber---let's not go there.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Byronius--

Mikey Bee 97542345235 said that about the orgill (misspelled right?) socks. I was quoting him.

Rubber muffins, huh? Hmm...now I feel suddenly lonely for some reason...

Well, one thing about Bert: He has wrinkles in his fleece sometimes. That's ONE sure thing you don't have to worry about Fozzie, cause he's furry. You cannot see wrinkles under fur, right Byron? :)

FOZ!
  4. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Even though Fozzie is furry, he looked kind of ugly during the first season of the Muppet show.
  5. Fozzie Bear

Yeah, but you didn't see wrinkles in his head!

:)
  6. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Nope. He never had wrinkles and He'll always be funny!
  7. Fozzie Bear

:D

I just KNEW you'd see it my way! :)

FOZ
  8. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Thanks, man! Fozzie's cool! I just hope Frank will make his comeback as him!
  9. Fozzie Bear

Unfortunately, I don't forsee Frank Oz coming back as Fozzie Bear again. :(

I think he pretty much has retired himself from it all, hence the replacement performers for his characters.

I think it says alot about a guy, too, when it takes 3 or 4 performers to do your job, you know? Frank Oz was the best; too bad he had to let it go.

I'm going to go curl up in a corner and cry now.

foz:(
  10. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

I couldn't agree more. I'll miss Frank's Fozzie and his Animal and Piggy. At least he still does Cookie in a few "Letter of the Day" segments and he did Grover in one too.
  11. Fozzie Bear

He did?

That's nice to know. Maybe he will be available for some Piggy/Fozzie/Animal stuff in the future then.

I kind of saw him appearing as a director or something for a film, but was about to doubt he'd do any other performing with the Muppets.

That kind of gives me a slight hope, then.

However, those other performers do a swinging job; at least on Piggy, I've seen her lately.

Later,
    FOZ
  12. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Yup. it was Frank performing our beloved furry blue friends, grover and Cookie in "letter of the day". What's Piggy's voice like? I've read posts on other groups that frank's voice was was looped a couple of times. What does looping voices mean and why did Frank loop some of his voices in recent years?
  13. Fozzie Bear

Muppets from Space is a good example of Looping.

They have stand-in performers who do the "voices" and puppetry for a character, then, somewhere else, Oz would record the lines.

In editing, they will replace the "non-Oz" Piggy voice with his recorded lines.

I think that's how it works.

FOZ
  14. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Wow. I read that Oz just did Cookie's voice in Elmo in Grouchland. Was it looped?
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Frank's Performing with the Muppets

I am sad to see him is quazi-retirement. He did such a wonderful job. But if you think about it, would you like to have the same job from the time you were a teenager. Sure, it was a labor of love in a way, but it's still a whole lot of work and after Jim died his characters just didn't seem to have the same chemistry.

Eric Jacobson and David Rudman are doing a spectacular job. An even more seamless transition than Steve's Kermit. It would be great if Oz would come back, but since they have replaced his characters I hope they will maintain the continuity of voice and performance and stick with David and Eric. I see Frank dropping in here and there to be distracting to the audience. At least as far as Muppet Show characters are concerned. I don't mind as much with Sesame Street because they mix in classc sketches that will have Frank's voice anyway.

Just my 2 cents. I know it sounds like heresy, but he's already given us so much joy. After seeing the amazing new chemistry between Kermit and Piggy, I am glad to see the characters are in good hands!:)
  16. Fozzie Bear

"In good hands!!!" HAA!

Wish I could think of funny jokes like that one. Where's Gags Beasely when you need him??

FOZ
  17. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Cool. I've been very interested in the evolution of all the Sesame Street muppets and the reasons behind the changes. I wonder how often they changed the actual muppet and how often they just changed the facial parts. I think the muppets kind of "wear out" after a while and have to be replaced. For that matter, I wonder how many muppets share their heads and bodies with others. Probably more than we realize. If anyone has this information, I would appreciate it.

:p :( :grouchy: :)
  18. Fozzie Bear

I think "Fat Blue" is used extensively, with different facial features added to the body. The Anything Muppets are the ones who likely appear more often than not.

I used to think Count and Mumford were the same puppet; and I still wonder if Prairie Dawn isn't used for different characters, too, just remove the dress, wig, and eyes...
  19. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

I think this happens alot. Guy Smiley and Don Music were the same puppet, for example.
  20. Fozzie Bear

One step further where those two were the same puppet pattern, Guy Smiley sometimes was used as Prince Charming, wasn't he?