The final "Farscape" shows...

wolfy

Reaction score
Well, folks, the time is coming...

Next week is going to be the last of one of the greatest shows on television (next to "The Muppet Show"), and it's ending...

"Farscape" is having it's swan song next Friday night (tonight is the final of the latest trilogy of the series), and from what was said in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about the show, I have a feeling that some of us are either going to be screaming our heads off (or rupturing our vocal chords), throwing things at our televisions or else just plain crying "Why, Sci-Fi, WHY?"

Rumor has it that the show will have a nice, pat, standardized ending about a minute before the show ends, which COULD wrap up the series so nicely, but there will be some kind of major TWIST (yes, all capitol) in the next 30-60 seconds that will have faithful "Farscape" fans screaming for more, me included!

I have NO idea what this twist is, but I am already sweating bullets and having bad dreams about it.

I have also heard that there is going to either be a miniseries or a movie ("Movie, movie, movie"...keep the chant going, because this thing is bigger than "Star Trek" and could go on for YEARS), but that the stars and the Henson Company have to work things out first...

Oh, please, Brian and all the Henson people...if you have even a TINY bit of love for "Farscape" fans in you, PLEASE do something to continue showing the program for us here in the USA...we LOVE it, and we really don't want to lose it at all!!

Okay...I'm heading out to get my VCR warmed up for tonight, and I'm buying NEW TAPES for next week's two-hour finale...
wolfy

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ironically, next week's series finale will be titled "BAD TIMING". Everyone needs to tune in and show their support.

After March 21st, Sci-Fi will begin airing Farscape re-runs each week.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Ironically, next week's series finale will be titled "BAD TIMING". Everyone needs to tune in and show their support.

After March 21st, Sci-Fi will begin airing Farscape re-runs each week.
He he! That's funny Phil.

Good! I was thinking they might not do reruns of the show! I didn't start getting into it until four episodes before it's due to end!

wolfy

Reaction score
Oooooh, that IS ironic!

Thanks SO much for letting us know, and for telling us that Sci-Fi will be airing re-runs starting the 21st of March.

We missed a lot of the eps this season, and we really need to catch up on them!

Considering we were such big "Farscape" fans (even going as far as to join the club and not complaining when we didn't get our newsletters or anything else from them we were promised except for the tape in a neat box and some posters), I'm surprised at us.

But then, when they changed the time from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays I had to make a major choice between "Farscape" and "Law & Order, SVU," which I try to never miss...

Does Sci-Fi still air a second showing of the program later on at night? I haven't checked lately...

I will be there, though, for the finale and I am hunting all the stores for the DVDs of the four seasons' worth of episodes. This two and three episodes on one DVD (to me) is a waste of DVD space. Give me a full season with extras and inside reports, interviews and background info from the stars about their characters on a two- or three-disc set and I'll pay the bucks for it!
wolfy

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy
Does Sci-Fi still air a second showing of the program later on at night? I haven't checked lately...
Yeah, it airs at midnight.

My friends and I love Farscape, and it's our Friday night ritual (last night we spontaneously decided to order pizza, which we inhaled while watching Farscape).

I have a feeling we'll be tuning in next week...

wolfy

Reaction score
Thanks, Emmy...

This way, if the hubby and little one wish to watch something earlier in the evening, I still get to record it off the satellite at midnight.

Appreciate the help!
wolfy

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Woo-hoo! Glad to see they're finally putting Farscape back in the daily reruns.

I can understand why people have a hard time getting into this show. I hated the first episode I saw. But people kept saying great things about it, so I watched another episode. I didn't like that one either. But it continued to be acclaimed by people whose opinion I respect. So I kept trying.

Finally, after seeing about 5 episodes in the course of 8 months, I saw the second-season finale, "Die Me Dichotomy." Whoa. Now the series had my attention, and I watched it almost every week after that.

Any new viewer should start at the beginning when the episodes start airing as daily reruns. They don't need to watch every episode, but starting at the beginning is the best place. And they should make sure not to miss hilarious episodes like "Crackers Don't Matter," "Out of their Minds," and "Won't Get Fooled Again." And as someone else said, the third season as a whole is just phenomal, with heartbreaking episodes like "Relativity" (possibly the show's best) and "Different Destinations," and entertaining shows like "Green Eyed Monster" (written by series star Ben Browder) and "Revenging Angel."

In the fourth season, the show seriously lost its way. In an effort to improve ratings, a villainous character was added -- I don't remember her name, but I just call her Cleavage, because that's why they brought her on board. There was a lot of sleazy sensationalism like this. Meanwhile, on Moya, a lot of great, interesting characters (like Stark and Crais) left the show, in favor of characters that were generic rehashes of those we'd already seen (the new redhead is just a slightly less brash version of Jool, and the mystic is a cheap version of Zhaan). These new characters were not as interesting as the ones they replaced. And while the show had always tried to fight its "Muppety" stigma because the characters were made by the Creature Shop, this season they really went overboard with making the aliens so gross that it was just unpleasant to keep the TV on. Plus, there were major continuity holes that one could drive a bus through. The writers never explained how Scorpius could survive being shot at point-blank range, and being buried in the cold ground in front of everyone! In fact, both Scorpius and "Harvey" have come back from the dead so many times, death has lost all meaning.

The only two great episodes this year were the loopy, fanciful "John Quixote" and the fun "Unrealized Reality," both of which reunited some of the characters from previous seasons, in a sense. (I still haven't seen the rest of the 3-parter where John returns to Earth circa 1985. Aargh!)

Anyway, just because the show was bad in Season 4 doesn't mean it couldn't have rebounded in Season 5. The series as a whole was good, and I'm disgusted that they never got the chance to rebound. I'm just hoping the last episode is a good sendoff.

wolfy

Reaction score
Wow, Chilly, you know a LOT about the various episodes of "Farscape!"

What was the name of my favorite one, and the one my kids talk about ALL the time...where John had this cartoon dream about the crew, and it was done by Warner Brothers ala "Bugs Bunny/Road Runner" style?

I swear, we were laughing so hard we almost choked that night!

I have to admit..."Farscape" can be both for kids and for adults, as the jokes can get riske' at times, but it's something that people of ALL ages can really enjoy.

And those COSTUMES! Would I love to have those makeup and costume people around MY house come Halloween and Convention times...!

*sigh*

Well, I think I'll go to the "Save Farscape" site and get me one of those neat TShirts or sometime...I love the look of some of them, and I have to admit, even though I love "Farscape" and it's show and it's merchandise, I don't see too many "Save Farscape" items on their web site... :smile:
wolfy