The Golden Compass Thread (Spoilers ahead!)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I meant that was not in the book, either.
Oh, that's what you meant. Sorry about the misunderstanding. It is said that in the third book [spoiler ahead] a decrepit-looking imposter masquerading as god is killed in a way that illustrates his frailty. I think that the author is posing two questions. The first: is there a God? The second: Is the god being worshiped in the world of his book the real God? Seeing that Phillip Pullman is a known atheist I think he probably stops in this world at the first question. :wink:

It is an uncomfortable topic for people of religious faith and those without such beliefs. I think exploring such ideas doesn't necessarily result in a discarding of one's beliefs. It can also strengthen one's faith and resolve while finding out some answers along the way. It also promotes understanding and at least a respect for another point of view. :smile:

I so need to read these books. I wonder if they'll just end up as doorstops or coasters? He he.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As a Christian, I thought Passion of the Christ was overrated both as a religious statment and a movie, hehe. But that's just my opinion. :smile:
I would never see that one. I really agree with what Stan said. It was a snuff film, and you go to church to learn this stuff. You go to the movies to be entertained.

I really doubt Hollywood decided to make this movie so much as a an Anti-Narnia... actually quite the opposite. They clearly made it to cash in off the success of Narnia. And I don't think most of the viewers know or care about any double meanings and symbolism. I think they just want to be entertained. It does look entertaining. But I wouldn't see it. I may give Alvin a chance, but only after I see Bee Movie (I was going to see it today, but I changed my mind).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would never see that one. I really agree with what Stan said. It was a snuff film, and you go to church to learn this stuff. You go to the movies to be entertained.

I really doubt Hollywood decided to make this movie so much as a an Anti-Narnia... actually quite the opposite. They clearly made it to cash in off the success of Narnia. And I don't think most of the viewers know or care about any double meanings and symbolism. I think they just want to be entertained. It does look entertaining. But I wouldn't see it. I may give Alvin a chance, but only after I see Bee Movie (I was going to see it today, but I changed my mind).
I actually don't mind putting the life of Jesus into a movie, it's been done many times and can be moving and entertaining. I just didn't like that particular film.

Hollywood knew people would associate it with Narnia yes, but that doesn't mean the author (whose books existed before the movie) didn't write it as an anti Naria. From that interview, it seems clear that's what he was going for.

I agree that some people don't care about symbolism. But that doesn't mean symbolism such as this should be acceptable. My personal feeling is movies can have a lot of influence. They can inform as well as entertain and reject or support the beliefs of one group or another, which is good. But if a movie is discriminating against a group, that is wrong. If Hollywood made a movie exploiting certain racial stereotypes, we would be angry and protest. There shouldn't be a double standard when it comes to religion and Christianity. If there is, then our society is about 10,000 light years from being free and equal. On the other hand, at least we're allowed to complain about it. Other nations are not so lucky (something Americans tend to forget, hehe).

It is an uncomfortable topic for people of religious faith and those without such beliefs. I think exploring such ideas doesn't necessarily result in a discarding of one's beliefs. It can also strengthen one's faith and resolve while finding out some answers along the way. It also promotes understanding and at least a respect for another point of view.
It is not an uncomfortable topic for me and I am of religious faith, hehe. It is uncomfortable for some people, but not all. That is what I'm getting at, how stereotyping does not show the big picture. I question and doubt whether God exists all the time and I agree, Frogboy, that it's healthy to do so. :smile:

I don't think that it's healthy to judge a whole group and stereotype it into a negative light. I'm not saying anyone here does think it's healthy, hehe. I'm talking about the book/movie. Hollywood acts as though it's incredibly rebellious and brave to attack Christianity and religion. In reality, it's the easiest and safest thing to do in our society.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Early projections show Compass underperforming, but still at number one. It will likely fall just short of the 30M domestic mark. Box office receipts don't reflect a film's quality, but it is a predictor for sequels. The mostly mild reviews don't help either. Those marketing and promoting the film likely wanted a Narnia or Rings franchise, but those story franchises have been around for a very long time. We'll see. In some ways I believe the controversy helped the film, others it hurt. I know repeat viewings will be few due to the reasonably slower pace of the film. Studios count on that for $180M budget films! :embarrassed:

On other movies out there - I felt Bee Movie was rather boring. It was a Bee Movie about nothing, but not in an entertaining way. Seeing that the film was co written and produced by Jerry Seinfeld, it's clear where most of the talent came from in his Seinfeld program... (Larry David). The visuals are appealing and some of the jokes land in a slight chuckle, but I found Enchanted much more fun. Far from perfect, but fun and filled with cuddly characters. I wish the rogue mice at my apartment would help me clean! I still need to see Beowulf, but my partner won't see anything from a company that promotes the HDDVD format (this includes Beowulf's Viacom and non-Beowulf related Universal). I support the blu-ray but not the cult nature of anything including the "format wars". I'll probably have to catch the film myself. :cool:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I still need to see Beowulf, but my partner won't see anything from a company that promotes the HDDVD format (this includes Beowulf's Viacom and non-Beowulf related Universal). I support the blu-ray but not the cult nature of anything including the "format wars". I'll probably have to catch the film myself. :cool:
Believe me, you don't need to! Lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, here's a couriosity... the film apparentl came in #1, but it still is projected this film may not do too well. As if they expected it to completely more than make up for its production on opening night.

Not to mention the time of the film's release. People are not going to the movies the next few weekeneds. They're going shopping every minute they can. It's almost Christmas. if you ask me, this film was released too late for the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend, and too early for Decemberween vacation.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Worldwide the film is faring well. The figures are slightly disappointing. At 26M they were expecting 4-10M more for opening weekend. I Am Legend and Chipmunks will knock quite a bit of wind out of Compass' next weekend too. Movies have been doing poorly in recent years, but the film should have at least passed the 30M mark. It will make back most if not all of its 180M production budget in worldwide ticket sales, but that doesn't account for the advertising. It's technically a modest (yet disappointing) hit. DVD sales will prove lucrative as will syndication a distribution rights. But will it warrant the sequels? I really want to see them. :sympathy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just got the first book. I will attempt to find time to read it on my holiday trip. :wink: