The Golden Compass Thread (Spoilers ahead!)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
the author himself recently said in an interview that his entire point in writing the novels was to prove that God doesn't exist.
Exactly, that's what I heard as well. Again, if he wants to do that, he has every right. But I don't have to support it. If the films don't seem to be saying this exact same message, then it's likely that the moviemakers chose to tone that part down for the audience, as it often done with books turned into films.

My overall problem with films like this: don't judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a few. And don't say tolerance for all if you don't mean it, heh. A great many Catholics are opened minded and support science. I went to Catholic school my entire life and was always taught evolution, and that not all of the Bible is meant to be taken literally.

There are Catholics and Christians who are closed minded, but that is true of every religion (and many Athiests). I have met Catholics who discouraged asking questions. But it nowhere near applies to the whole group. We say we've gotten rid of negative stereotyes in our society. Sadly that is not true. Hollywood needs more balance and less bias.

I completely understand what you mean about the special effects, I do regret not seeing them if they are very impressive (which I'm sure they are). Thankfully I was able to see Lord of the Rings on the big screen many dozen times, which had impressive special effects and skillfully presented religion and spirituality in a positive light (as the author of the books subtlely yet undeniably did). I guarantee Golden Compass will not become "the greatest novel of the 20th century." :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Exactly, that's what I heard as well. Again, if he wants to do that, he has every right. But I don't have to support it. If the films don't seem to be saying this exact same message, then it's likely that the moviemakers chose to tone that part down for the audience, as it often done with books turned into films.
Again, the director has been quoted saying that he toned it down for the firt movie because it wouldn't have sold otherwise, but he won't take the religious aspects out of the next two movies.

But I agree with all your points, and ultimately a movie is a movie, and how it is interprited is up to the viewer. Some people think Narnia is the work of the devil, others think it's the Bible!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You're, it is ultimately just a movie. There are bigger problems in the world, lol. I'm just sorry this author has a problem with a person who only said "love thy neighbor as yourself" (someone that even Monty Python admitted they could not make fun of). And a group that has contributed to education and charity throughout the centuries. But this is America, and to disagree is his right. I just wish there was more respect for everyone overall. :smile:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Same here; I've been a Catholic since birth, and I certainly believe that science and religion can co-exist. And also, in a homily we heard once, the priest explained that it is okay to have doubts sometimes, because it leads us to ask questions, which leads us to have a better grasp on Christianity.

You know, I always wondered why some people really raised their hackles over the Narnia books. I mean, I didn't find them offensive at all - but when I was in middle school, we had to bring a letter about the book home to our parents.
Then again, when I was in high school, when we started to study HIV and AIDS in bio class we had to bring permission slips home for that, too. (shrugs) I don't get it, either.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Then again, when I was in high school, when we started to study HIV and AIDS in bio class we had to bring permission slips home for that, too. (shrugs) I don't get it, either.
Really? Wow, that's harsh. As I said, I never had those problems in the Catholic schools I went to. We were taught about abstience and birth control, and the things that can happen, etc. But then again, every school is different (just like every person is different and we shouldn't stereotype hehe). :smile:

I've met religious people who didn't want to talk about HIV. And I've met others that had no problem at all.

And I had a priest teacher who explained that parts of the Bible were just stories with a message and not necessarily facts. But I've met other priests who disagree. Again, everyone is different. We shouldn't lump people together. :smile:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Exactly what I thought at the time. And my parents thought it ludicrous that the school even thought we needed permission slips.

Of course, pretty much everyone in the class came in with "Yes" checked off on the slips, so it seems most parents were enlightened on the subject.

I know - viewpoints tend to vary from parish to parish, and from diocese to diocese.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it often only takes one person to start those kind of things. I don't want to be judgemental at all, but I do ultimately diagree with that kind of decision.

Part of me says if no one had protested the Golden Compass, it probably would have quickly faded away. People said it looked just like Naria and every other fantasy film. It wasn't that big a deal until the protests began. On the other hand, I understand why some Christians were concerned and felt the need to speak their minds. It's a slippery sort of situation.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Exactly. You're not going to hurt the kids by making them learn about a disease - but you'll hurt them by keeping them from learning. That's the way I've always seen it.

And very true - you've got to be really diplomatic where people's spiritual/religious beliefs are concerned, 'cause it's a touchy subject for lots of people.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Very true about learning and asking questions, and being diplomatic about beliefs! Take note, Hollywood! :wink:

I'm going to go watch Xmen 2 now! Hehe :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The "What I Heard" Issue...

I keep hearing from those who've heard from this person that that person read a snippet in some unknown publication that he said "this and that". I would very much like to hear and see in an interview the author's response. Otherwise it's just a game of "telephone" for gossip. Or Fox News. :grouchy:

I've heard a lot of this stuff too, but context, reputation of said publications, time of statements and situations surrounding them are all very important. Pullman could very well have atheistic intentions with this film, he could be posing the question, and he could be thumbing his nose at religious influence on science and politics. I just don't know. It was a good movie, but then I hear some troubling comments from those who have read the books and liked them and those who have read and disliked the books.

The question is now - where is the author Phillip Pullman? And what exactly did he say, in what context and was he kidding? I've been known to make wild statements to get a rise out of friends on all sorts of issues, but that doesn't mean I'm serious. It simply is to judge the reaction of the room. :big_grin:

I'm judging the film now as a good one. I'm considering picking up the first book for my holiday travels. We'll see. I'm certainly not condoning or condemning the man or his intentions as I have not directly heard his comments. Maybe there's something on YouTube? Either way it goes - I'm interested in the real, full skinny of the situation rather than a partially informed knee-jerk reaction. :attitude:

I saw the Passion for myself even though I knew there were definitely parts I'd object to. And I'm not a fan of Gibson in the least. I tend to want to find the value in people and things that so easily get written off (on both good and bad information). That's the way I'm built. And I just have a love for movies. I also saw Hellboy that month!