The hour-long Office?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
According to Thursday's Variety, there is consideration for expanding The Office from a half-hour to a full hour next year, when the show moves to the coveted 9 p.m. time slot previously held by Seinfeld, Cheers, and Frasier.

For fellow fans of the show... what do you think about this?

I think that the best episodes of the show are the super-sized ones. We've had several this season, but only one of them was an hour-long - the Christmas episode directed by the great Harold Ramis. Incidentally, it's been my favorite episode this season. The writers had a lot more leg room with these episodes, and everything felt a lot tighter.

Considering that, when you add the amount of time from the deleted scenes on NBC.com to the actual episodes, the episodes are almost an hour anyway, it's not like there would be a huge change in cost for the show.

I think it's a great idea if it does indeed happen. How about you?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No. If a show is meant to be a half-hour, then it should always be a half-hour; if a show is meant to be an hour, then it should always be an hour. That's it. The end.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I can't help but feel that a part of this decision may be that NBC hasn't found its new hit sitcom yet amidst all the pilots being considered.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Yeah, The Office should stay 30 minutes. Sitcoms are best when they employ the ol' "always leave 'em wanting more" tactic. It's fine to have those special episodes, like when Friends was 45 minutes for a few episodes, but it really messes up the syndication, and no one likes that.

But yeah, you're prolly right, it seems due to the lack of new comedies NBC has--or is willing to test. They should just not cancel Scrubs, as it looks like they're going to...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I believe scrubs is going to go for one more season. But if NBC does not pick it up then abc defiantly will. But yeah, my brother was telling me about them expanding it to an hour. But I don't really mind that decision though.:smirk:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I could go either way with this, actually. The Office does work incredibly well as a one-hour show, and I think it would be a good move. But it isn't like they're suffering, so I wouldn't mind if it didn't happen.

peyjenk

Reaction score
I feel that The Office does more with 30 minutes that a lot of shows do with a full hour. I think the format has worked this long, so why mess with it?

If it ain't broke, don't take it apart to figure out why.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I talked to the man who plays Kevin in the Office Chat last night, and he said that until NBC announces everything on May 18th or so then don't believe everything you see. There was also a rumor that they were going to 9pm, so until NBC announces things, don't believe everything. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing an hour show because there is so much good stuff that is cut from the show, it gives them enough freedom to leave some stuff in the episode. Just my opinion, only from a big huge fans stand point.

Daniel

peyjenk

Reaction score
You know, Daniel, you are absolutely right. When you watch the deleted scenes, they are just as hilarious as the full show. It isn't like they would necessarily just be adding filler every week... they really do have a lot of content that they have to leave out.

Teheheman

Reaction score
You know, Daniel, you are absolutely right. When you watch the deleted scenes, they are just as hilarious as the full show. It isn't like they would necessarily just be adding filler every week... they really do have a lot of content that they have to leave out.
Yeah, that's why fans push for them to do "Super-sized" episodes. They have enough material to fill that time up with funny stuff. Plus, it's over 30 minutes for the last 3 episodes(This past week and the next 2 weeks) so we'll see. If not, they'll still have good material, it'll just be shorter. If you all wanna join us in the chatroom over at Office Chat, it's www.theofficechat.com we'd love to have ya.

Daniel