The "I Saw Something REALLY Weird Today" Thread

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It really is a fun class, because we've done a lot of work with media representation, and looked at a lot of studies that try to show if there are differences between how men and women communicate. The answer is pretty close to no, though you wouldn't know that if you watch television or any movie.

mr3urious

Reaction score
In my gender and communication class we're doing presentations on stereotypes in prominent advertising campaigns and how to rectify them and one group today did their presentation on Carl's Jr. I had thought all along that the business was named Carl Jr's, because that actually makes sense grammar-wise (this is Carl Jr's restaurant). But Carl's Jr just sounds really strange.
Carl Karcher is not a Jr. It's called Carl's Jr. because it was a smaller version of Carl's Drive-In Restaurants, which no longer exists.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Ah. That makes sense. Wish the group would have explained that.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Just watched Friends with Benefits, starring Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis (with a cameo by our Muppet-supporting buddies Jason Segel and Rashida Jones). Inspired many questions.

1. What were the scriptwriters thinking in suddenly shifting from a parody of a romantic comedies to a family drama halfway through? I mean, all of a sudden, you find out that Justin Timberlake's dad has Alzheimer's and he had problems with stuttering and math as a kid, and there's all this talk about being damaged emotionally and stuff. Odd shift in tone.

2. Why does anyone think Justin Timberlake is attractive? Andy Samberg had a very tiny cameo at the beginning of the movie, and I think he's a lot better looking than Timberlake any day. (PS Emma Stone made a cameo as well, and I never really noticed her before, but she can give Mila Kunis a run for her money.)

3. What is the song "Pumped Up Kicks" about? Am I wrong in thinking that it's about a guy planning a murder, and that it has no business being in a romantic comedy?

Very strange movie.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I personally find Timberlake more attractive than Andy, but I'd still choose Andy over him because that man is so incredibly funny. And Emma Stone is the most gorgeous woman in Hollywood.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Apparently it's about Robert Hawkins, and I have no idea why it's in a RomCom. :rolleyes:
Had to look up who Robert Hawkins was, and my goodness! That song does not belong in a romantic comedy at all. I guess the movie's producers were too lazy to figure out what the guy was saying through all that vocoder.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This was actually yesterday, but I was in a roadside cafe with drink coolers in the back of the store, and I came across this bottle of stuff, I guess it was like an energy drink or something... but you know what the label on the bottle said? Well... I probably can't really say it completely on this forum, but here's a hint: it was two words, the first word was "Neuro", and the second word starts with 'G' and rhymes with "spasm".