The MARVELOUS Muppets: Four Plus Two Over Five

muppetwriter

Reaction score
The Count said:
But there's a problem I have. The black blind woman, that was Alicia? Guess that's sticking out like a rock-hued hero because you did mention Alicia being Ben's girlfriend in one of the previous chapters. So for her to make her introductory appearance now as if she didn't know Ben from before kind of clashes with how the Thing felt after returning to Earth, ashamed of letting even her see him in his current state.
Actually, the woman that I mentioned in that earlier chapter was in fact Debbie, the woman that Ben was going to marry until he became The Thing. The only reason I referred to her just as "Ben's fiancee" was because I figured the readers have already seen the movie and knew who Ben's first love was before meeting Alicia Masters.

The way I played out the end of Ben and Debbie's relationship was just that she felt neglected after waiting several hours for her fiancee to return home, and we can only assume that she probably saw Ben's new appearance on television and just could not handle it (like in the movie), so she canceled their engagement.

The Count said:
In other news, I watched the new Fantastic Four series premiere on Cartoon Network last night, and a new episode of W.I.T.C.H. though only the last half. I have some thoughts on both, LMK if you want to talk about it.
Yeah, I don't know about anyone else, but I loved that new F4 series!:smile: The way they made Susan Storm look in that cartoon is a far cry from Jessica Alba (lol!). I mean, she is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see the episode when Doom will make his first appearance. And the voices for the F4 are perfect, especially Reed's and Ben's (they sound exactly the way they did in the 90s cartoon).

Also, the recent new episode of W.I.T.C.H., was it that one when Nerissa brought in the ghost of that dead guardian that she and Yan-Lin knew a long time ago, while Will fought again that Knight who was posing as Matt? I think the episode was titled "M is for Mercy".

Hopefully I'll have more story soon.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... Lemme go through all of this.
1 That makes sense, never knew about a Debbie though.
2 Thought Alicia was a sort of darkened beige or lightened brownish skinned woman, at least going by what I remember when I still had better sight from the 94-96 series.
3 The music for the new F4 series was good, reminded me of the 70's series where you saw this white angled 4 and the faces of each around the corners of the number itself.
4 Reed's and Ben's voices weren't exactly alike to the voices from the 90's series. Though Ben's was similar and better than the one they gave him in the Secret Wars episodes of the 92-96 Spider-Man series from Fox.
5 Didn't like Susan's voice that much... She came off as too much of a drama queen.
6 That's why I'm looking forward to whenever it is they start repeating the entire season of W.I.T.C.H., they're just jamming new episodes into the lineup and you miss out on some you never knew were airing.
The episode I'm refering to is where Nerissa apparently took possession of Terranee, trying to go after the others. She was stopped when Hai Lynn's grandmother explained that the Hearts of Meridian and Candricar are equal in power.
Frankly, I'm a bit lost/behind regarding the chronology of the series.

That's all I got for now, post the next chapter when ready though.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
The Count said:
6 That's why I'm looking forward to whenever it is they start repeating the entire season of W.I.T.C.H., they're just jamming new episodes into the lineup and you miss out on some you never knew were airing.
The episode I'm refering to is where Nerissa apparently took possession of Terranee, trying to go after the others. She was stopped when Hai Lynn's grandmother explained that the Hearts of Meridian and Candricar are equal in power.
Frankly, I'm a bit lost/behind regarding the chronology of the series.
Yeah, I'm pretty lost myself. Jetix's schedule on Toon Disney won't be the same, now that they've stopped airing their programs on ABC Family. I'm just going by whatever episode they show on Monday nights; but according to tv.com, the next new episode (the one I was talking about in my previous post) won't be airing until this Friday (September 9th). I'd already seen it on YouTube, and it looked pretty awesome. The Knight that feeds off everyone's hatred seems to be really getting on Will's nerves, which is exactly what he wants.

I saw that one episode you were talking about. Taranee found her own boyfriend, which pretty much leaves all of the W.I.T.C.H. girls hitched; that is, until Will runs into some problems with Matt. I believe that episode came right before the one where Irma calls Martin a loser. So you might've been watching a repeat of the episode from the week before last.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, thanks... That helps a bit. And the knight that feeds off of other's hatred is named Shagon, but is really Matt converted by Nerissa although I'm unsure as to why she called him "deerheart".
And the block of Jettix that would normally air on ABC Family is now on Toon Disney weekends in the morning, along with the weekend block starting from 4 PM. Then again, the lineup's going to get even more out of whack with the new shows. Heads up, Jackie Chan starts on 9/5 at 7 PM, taking over what used to be the Power Rangers Generation spot on Tuesdays-Thursdays.
Hope this helps, talk to you later.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Chapter Eight

The ESPN Moto X-Games were in full effect the next day at Madison Square Garden. Irma, who had been saving the nine tickets that she won over a radio contest, was able to talk her friends into coming to the event with her, bringing Gonzo, Pepe, Rizzo, and Robin along with them. They were able to get great seats, which were pretty close to the track. As they sat down there, Gonzo couldn’t help but to notice how restless Will seemed, nearly nodding off to sleep at times.

“Hey, Will.” Gonzo uttered, slightly nudging her arm and waking her up. “Are you okay? You seem a little drowsy.”

“If I do, it’s only because I’ve been having these funky dreams lately.” Will said, as the other girls heard her, getting curious and bringing themselves into the conversation.

“What’re they about?” Taranee asked, and Will was a bit sheepish, knowing how freaky her dreams often were and feeling embarrassed as she shared them with her friends. Although, sometimes her dreams had a connection to her duties as a Guardian of Infinite Dimensions.

“Well…” Will started, “They’re about the Oracle.” The other girls paid close attention to her, figuring that anything that dealt with their mentor was vital. “I dreamt that he visited me in my bedroom, warning me about some cosmic entity whose herald will soon arise on Earth and help him devour it.”

“Devour?!” Hay Lin exclaimed. “You mean like…eat it? The whole thing?”

“Now that is just gross.” Cornelia uttered. “I wonder what you had to eat before you had that dream, Will.”

“I’m a lot more freaked out about it more than you are, Cornelia.” Will remarked. “But the Oracle is obviously trying to warn us about something. And when it’s something that big, then I’m the one who he usually comes to about it.”

“Did he say anything else about this ‘Devourer of Planets’ in your dream?” Gonzo asked, more interested in Will’s dream than the other girls were.

“No.” Will replied. “Just that his herald will be here one day, and when he comes, we must be prepared to defend our world.” Gonzo and the other Guardians were really taken aback by Will’s dream (which they were beginning to believe was a vision given to her from the Oracle). They were shaken by it, even as the X games began. It was hard to enjoy motorbikes launching over a maze of mountainous dirt hills and ramps, when the world’s fate was on one’s mind.

“She had to tell us all that before the bikes came out.” said Irma, who was obviously too distracted to be delighted by the riders, who were performing aerial acrobatics on their spinning and flipping bikes.

And now, ladies and gentlemen,” The X-Games announcer said, “We have a special guest for you…

“Not even Napoleon Dynamite could lift our spirits back up.” Irma uttered.

Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four!!” Gonzo, Pepe, Rizzo, Robin, and the Guardians nearly jumped out of their seats in mixed feelings of confusion, excitement, and fear (of making a fool out of the team) when they heard Johnny’s name blare out through the speakers. Johnny, wearing a motocross outfit over his blue uniform, with the number “004” on the back and a small four over his heart. He waved to the crowd, making them go wild, right before he hit the first hill and caught the air, flipping extremely high in the air. “Look at that lift, ladies and gentlemen!!

“You gotta admit,” Rizzo said, “Da guy’s got moves.”

“Sí.” Pepe said. “He is an example of what it would be like if Tony Hawk and Pee-Wee Herman had a son, h’okay.” Rizzo, Gonzo, and the Guardians turned and looked strangely at Pepe, who was puzzled by their looks. “What? Jou t’ink it would be a bad marriage?”

After landing from his previous aerial move, Johnny revved up his engine, preparing himself for his next one. His body was starting to steam, and his adrenaline was burning. Finally, he went for the hill, speeding faster and faster, with trails of flame starting to streak off his back. He raced like a rocket up the hill, launching to impossible heights and spinning like a top. Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Robin, and the Guardians rose from their seats, looking up at the flaming blur that was Johnny Storm.

“Whoa!!!” Robin shouted, just as they noticed how Johnny was still rising, leaving his bike to drop away from him; he flamed on, spiraling upward.

“Is he…flying?” Will asked, just before Johnny suddenly plummeted back down, landing on his bike in midair. He makes a perfect landing, even kicking a little dirt up at some other bikers. Johnny swerved to a stop; he couldn’t believe what just happened to him, and neither could Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Robin, or the Guardians.

Unbelievable, ladies and gentlemen!!!” The announcer yelled, as the crowd (with the exception of Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, and the Guardians) had gone berserk over Johnny, giving him a standing ovation. Hot, attractive girls swarmed over him, and between them and the fans, he was starting to feel like one big superstar.

---------------------

At the KMUP station, Johnny Fiama and Sal Manilla were both watching the live broadcast of the X-Games on a television set in Johnny’s dressing room. Out of everyone in Manhattan, those two were the ones that were most interested in the Fantastic Four, catching any stories on them in newspapers, magazines, or television as often as they could. When Johnny and Sal noticed how Clifford was passing by the dressing room, they quickly turned from the set and caught his attention.

“Hey, Cliff!” Johnny exclaimed. “Ya better come check this out, baby.”

“If it’s another Tony Bennett infomercial, I don’t got the time.” Clifford remarked.

“Trust me, babe.” Johnny said. “It’s…half as good as that.” Clifford came into the dressing room and watched the set along with Johnny and Sal. When he noticed how Johnny Storm was on television, being interview by an attractive X-Games reporter, he almost had a heart attack.

“Hey, Cliff, when are we gonna get these guys on one of our programs?” Sal asked, and when he turned his head to where Clifford was standing, he noticed how the muppet had disappeared from the spot and the room completely. “Guess he couldn’t have waited until the next commercial.”

-----------------------

In the media room of Reed’s apartment inside the Baxter Building, the Fantastic Four were watching the same live broadcast of the X-Games on their wall-sized television set, along with a stunned Beaker, Bunsen, and Doc. Sprocket was barking at the close-up image of Johnny on the set, thinking that it was the actual thing. Neither of them were pleased with what Johnny had done at the event or the answers that he gave to the reporter.

So what can you tell us about the outfit?” The reporter asked, as Johnny was peeling off the burned remains of his motocross outfit, revealing his F4 uniform, with a “4” stitched onto the chest. Bunsen and Beaker were a little offended over the display of that four on the chest, which they took as a sign that Johnny was completely neglecting the fact that the two scientists were part of the team.

Not too much, but I will say that it’s all weather and no leather.” Johnny said. “Kind of like Armani meets Astronaut.

“What did he do to the uniform?!” Sue exclaimed, turning to Reed, who gave a sheepish shrug and peeled back his lab coat revealing a “4” stitched onto his chest as well. Sue, Ben, Bunsen, Beaker, and Doc couldn’t believe Reed’s involvement in Johnny’s gimmick.

“He talked me into it.” Reed said, before returning their attention back to the television set.

So what are your superhero names?” The reporter asked.

I go by the Human Torch.” Johnny stated. “The ladies call me Torch.

And what about the rest of the team?” The reporter said, and the uncomfortable look on Johnny’s face indicated that he hadn’t thought about them, which was what brought on the improvisation.

Uh, we call my sister the invisible girl…Yeah, that’s right! The Invisible girl!” Johnny said, and an offended look came across Sue’s face when she heard the “girl” part.

Well, that’s easy to remember.” The reporter said. “And Reed Richards? He’s the leader. So what’s he? Mr. Fantastic?

I wouldn’t say he’s the leader.” Johnny remarked, and Reed shrugged, not seeming to mind about the name. The group continued watching as a photograph of Ben appeared on the screen.

What about this one?” The reporter asked. “What do you call this thing?” Johnny smiled and looked right into the camera.

That’s it.” Johnny uttered. “Just…The Thing.” Ben couldn’t have been more angered and offended by Johnny’s sudden remark; he balled up his rock-hewn fists, as he turned and headed towards the elevator.

“Where are you going, Grimm?” Doc asked, seeming to be worried still about the team leaving the building.

“I’m gonna go commit a murder.” Ben answered, and before he could’ve taken another step, Reed wrapped an arm around him.

“Ben!” He shouted. “Slow down a second and…” Reed stopped once he noticed a photo of himself on the screen.

Is it true what they say?” The reporter said, asking the next part of the question with great enthusiasm. “That Mr. Fantastic can expand any part of his anatomy?

Let’s just say that there’s a good reason why this woman isn’t smiling.” Johnny said, just before a photo of Susan appeared on the screen. Johnny’s joke angered and offended both Reed and Sue, just as much as the one directed towards Ben had.

“Wait for me, Ben.” Reed said.

“I’m driving.” Sue added, while Bunsen and Beaker were watching them leave the room from the couch. They both turned to each other and exchanged worried looks, and then they got up from the couch and followed Ben, Sue, and Reed. As they were heading into the elevator, Bunsen turned to Doc and spoke in a apologetic tone.

“Dr. Christian, please pray that this doesn’t turn into another bad altercation amongst good friends.” Bunsen told Doc, who watched the elevator door close in front of them. Doc just shrugged his shoulders and turned to Sprocket, who was still barking at the television screen.

“Sprocket, old boy,” Doc said, “Something told me that we should’ve settled ourselves in a nice old workshop by the bay. That way, we wouldn’t have to worry about babysitting six super-powered strangers.” Sprocket barked in agreement with that sentiment of Doc’s, before the both of them turned to the set. “I wonder if Little Muppet Monsters is on.”

------------------------

A short moment later, after Ben and the others had left the Baxter Building, he rounded the corner of an alleyway near the arena and spotted a crowd of girls lined up near a red Porsche parked out front, with the word “Torched” on the license plate. A wicked grin crept across Ben’s face, as he stomped towards the Porsche.

A little later, Johnny exited the arena with a hot girl, signing autographs for girls in line. Behind him were Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Robin, and the Guardians, who were trying to catch up to talk to him, but were blocked by several of Johnny’s fans. Johnny was eventually confronted by Sue and Reed, who approached him with Beaker and Bunsen in tow, glaring at him like angry parents. Johnny found the valet, who looked rather ill at the time, and he noticed how his Porsche was gone.

“Where’s my ride?” Johnny asked, looking around, just as a four by four solid cube of red junk metal slid down the street and stopped at the curb in front of Johnny. It wasn’t long before he got pelted in the head with the license plate. He rubbed the sting out of his head, as he watched the plate rattle to the ground. Gonzo, Pepe, Robin, Rizzo, the Guardians, and everyone else turned their heads to the left and saw Ben in the distance, dusting off his hands.

“Oh, this is not good.” Irma uttered.

“Jou t’ink?” Pepe said, just as Johnny noticed Ben and got very upset.

“You’re gonna pay for that, Peebles!” Johnny shouted, just as Sue came up to him and blocked his path to Ben. “What?!?!”

“You gave us names?” Sue asked him. “What are you, the ‘face’ of the Fantastic Four now?”

“It’s about to be a broken face.” Ben grumbled.

“And what about Bunsen and Beaker?” Sue added. “Did you ever think about them, before you officially decided the number to put on our uniforms?”

“Now, now, Susan,” Bunsen interjected, “I wouldn’t suggest bringing Beaker and I into this.” Johnny looked over at Bunsen and Beaker, forgetting all about their involvement with the team. For a moment, he felt ashamed with himself for ever making such a horrible mistake.

“This isn’t permanent, Johnny.” Reed told him. “We need to be careful until we’re normal again.”

“What if some of us don’t want to be ‘normal’ again, Reed?!” Johnny snapped. “We didn’t all turn into monsters like…” Ben reeled back a fist the size of an anvil, ready to punch the living daylights out of Johnny. But he stopped himself, and instead of attacking, he started to walk off, much to the disappointment of Pepe.

“Boo! Boo!” He shouted. “We wanted to see a fight, h’okay!”

“Would you shut up?!” Irma told Pepe.

“Only if jou make me, baby.” Pepe remarked, in a sultry tone that made Irma roll her eyes in disgust. Ben, who had been ignoring Pepe’s complaints, just continued to walk off, until a fireball from Johnny smacked him in the back of the head. Ben stopped and turned around, seeming to be more shocked than hurt.

“Did you just…?” Ben asked, just as another fireball smacked him, right in the face. “Okay! That’s it, tinkerbell! You wanna fly? FLY!!!” Ben charged towards Johnny like an angry bull, just as Reed stepped in the way. It was too late for Reed to talk any sense into him, because Ben’s fist punched into Reed’s chest and indented it. Reed’s back expanded with Ben’s fist, punching into Johnny and launching him off his fist.

“Ouch!!” Rizzo exclaimed. “I know dat had to hurt!” Johnny slammed into a moving advertisement truck, with a Pete’s Diner flame-broiled burger on the side. He left a flaming imprint on the all-beef patty (and the image of Pete above it). The crowd stood stunned, and so did Reed, Sue, Bunsen, and Beaker, while camera were flashing everywhere.

“Good thing Pete wasn’t here to see his face catch on fire.” Gonzo commented, as Johnny slowly pulled himself up. The paint on the truck began to bubble around his hand while he stood up, beaten and bruised. He was heating up, with both of his hands becoming flaming fists.

“Let’s see if we can get blood from a stone.” Johnny uttered, and as Ben and Johnny locked eyes, Bunsen and Beaker were becoming very agitated.

“Please! I beg you both not to inflict any pain on each other and just calm down!” Bunsen pleaded, but neither of the two combatants were willing to listen to reason. Instead, they started running toward each other. When they were almost within range, Sue stepped between them and stopped them both in their tracks with just a look.

“You two need a timeout!!” Sue yelled.

“Blockhead started it!!” Johnny shouted, and Ben just stormed off. The crowd began to clear, some of them scared over what just happened, while a paparazzi snapped a picture of Ben, who grabbed the camera and flicked the lens. In the clearing crowd, Robin had been watching Ben walk away from the scene, as he and his friends remained where they were standing. Without telling them, he moved away from the group and ran towards Ben.

“Robin! Come back!” Will exclaimed.

“I will! Don’t worry!” Robin assured, and he disappeared, while Sue did the same, leaving just Reed, Johnny, Bunsen, and Beaker on the sidewalk, with Gonzo, Pepe, Rizzo, and the Guardians nearby playing spectators.

“For heaven’s sakes, Jonathan!” Bunsen said. “Must we go on with these childish games! Can you not just consider the feelings of others once in a while?”

“Bunsen’s right, Johnny.” Reed said. “You need to control yourself and think before you…”

“Act.” Johnny said, finishing Reed’s statement. “Here we go again.”

“Oh, you’re not gonna start complaining are you?” said a sarcastic Irma, stepping into the conversation. “That really just takes the fun out of things.” Johnny, more furious than ever after Irma’s comment, just let loose in front of his friends.

“Did you people for once ever thought about the possibility that we got these gifts for a reason?” Johnny asked. “What if we have some, you know…like, calling?”

“So I guess God meant for you to get girls and make money.” Cornelia said.

“I wish I had dat type of god, h’okay!” Pepe remarked, with a chuckle, and when everyone shot dirty looks at him, he immediately stopped chuckling.

“At least someone agrees with me on this.” Johnny said, and Reed looked at him in disgust. “This is who we are, guys. Accept it. Or better yet…enjoy it.” Johnny walked off in anger, leaving the others to stand alone.

-------------------

Sue and Robin waded through the throng of New Yorkers, both trying to catch up with Ben, whose presence parted the crowd and allowed him to pass. Sue called for Ben to wait up; he glanced sideways at her and Robin, but he didn’t stop. Fortunately, the two were able to catch up with him.

“Mr. Grimm?” Robin said. “Don’t let what the Human Torch said get you down. I still believe in you.”

“It’s not him.” Ben uttered, and he pointed to the crowd, screaming. “It’s them!!!” He lowered his head in despair, avoiding eye contact with Robin. “I can’t live like this.”

“You have to give it a little more time, Ben.” Sue said. “I’m sure Doc will be finished with Dr. Neuter’s machine sooner than you think.”

“It’s easy for you to be patient.” Ben remarked.

“No, it’s not.” Sue contradicted. “I thought I was done waiting for Reed. We’re all in this together now, Ben.”

Together?” Ben said. “Look at me, Susie. You got no idea what I’d give…to be invisible. Your nightmare…is my dream.”

“Well, I wouldn’t say that, Mr. Grimm.” Robin said. “You have something that I’d give to be, too.”

“And what’s that, kid?” Ben asked.

“To be big and strong.” Robin replied, and Ben felt his spirits somewhat lifted from that comment. “What you think is your nightmare is my dream, too. That’s why you’re such a hero to me.” Ben was intrigued by Robin’s admiration; but his depression had soon brought him down back to earth, which was what he tried to do with Robin.

“Kid, I hate to break this to ya…but there’s no such thing as heroes…or dreams.” Ben said, and Sue opened her mouth, wanting to respond, but she had nothing to say. She nor Robin knew Ben’s depth of pain. As he disappeared into an alley, Robin looked up at Sue, feeling very sorry for Ben.

“I tried my best.” Robin said.

“You did fine, sweetie.” Sue said, with a smile. “You go ahead and get back to your friends. I’ll…just stay here for a while.” Robin nodded, and he headed down the sidewalk, leaving Sue to continue staring at the alley that Ben went down in. While Robin was passing by another alley, something grabbed him from behind and pulled him into the darkness, just as Sue faced the direction he went in and walked. As she passed by the same alleyway, she barely noticed how Robin was being taken away by an unknown, cloaked stranger.

END OF CHAPTER EIGHT​

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
There's so much here in this chapter...

The X-Games with Johnny... Great descript of his ashy aerobatics.
The dream the Oracle gave Will... Ooh, foreshadowing for the second movie or F4/Muppets story.
The fight! Wow, that was intense and powerful, how the team's splitting up when it's just barely coming together.
Johnny and Sal watching the broadcast of the X-Games, and Doc and Sprocket watching it too... Very good showing us how the same event's playing out at different locals at the same time.
Poor Pete, he's going to have to pay to get that advertising truck replaced.

And then, the ending... Robin's talk with Ben, and Ben calling the Invisible Woman "Susie"...
"Your nightmare is my dream." Poinient.
But this cloaked figure... Oh, I hope Robin'll be OK.
Post more when ready.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Thanks, Count. And Happy Labor Day, everybody!:smile:

Chapter Nine

Phil van Neuter stood within the shadows of an underground parking garage, located beneath a bank that invested Von Doom Industries. A short while ago, during an edgy meeting with the bankers, Victor was turned down by Ned Cecil, the power-broker that played the role of leader to the other bankers, who even embarrassed Victor in front of them. Neuter was keeping a careful eye on Cecil, as he came out of an elevator and headed for his car.

It was very late at night (close to midnight to be more exact). The floor of the garage was slick with water; puddles were in every direction. Phil heard the sound of feet splashing in one of the puddles, and when he turned his head, he saw a cloaked figure approaching him, with a small bag in his grasps. The figure had soon removed his hood, revealing the face of Mulch.

“Did you get him?” Phil asked, and Mulch nodded with a slight grunt, just before he emptied Robin the Frog out of the bag, making him splash into a puddle as he fell. He looked up and recognized his kidnappers, not seeming so scared or intimidated by them.

“Dr. Neuter? Mulch?” Robin said. “You guys are the ones that captured me?”

“Yes, we did.” Phil remarked. “And you wanna know why?” Robin was going to answer his question, but Phil didn’t give him the chance to do so. “You’ve gotten so close to those Fantastic Four freaks that we just cannot allow you to find out about our secret plan.” Robin made a strange face, wondering what Phil was talking about and why he brought him into the situation. “We have found a way to ‘cure’ those people of their diseases. But with every good grant comes a good price. The Fantastic Four will be cured…but in exchange, they’ll be giving us something that we’ve always wanted.”

“What are you talking about, Dr. Neuter?” asked the puzzled Robin. “What are you going to do with the Fantastic Four?” Before Phil could answer, the structure lights started to flicker; he, Robin, and Mulch (as well as Ned Cecil) all looked up and watched the lights go out one by one, furthest to closest. It wasn’t long before Victor Von Doom had stepped out from a different shadow, coming towards Cecil.

“Von Doom? Gave me a little shock.” Cecil said, almost relieved to see him; but seeing the furious expression on Victor’s face reminded him of the meeting earlier. “No hard feelings, right? Nothing personal.” Victor didn’t reply, and Ned just grinned. “You know, you could always move back to Latvura and start of fresh.” He mispronounced Latveria (Victor’s home county), dripping with arrogance. “Maybe that’s where you belong…back in the ‘old country’.” That one comment from Cecil was what triggered Victor’s boiling point. A surge of electricity coursed through his body. His eyes narrowed, and the electricity crackled down his leg to the ground.

The electric spark hit the water and electric currents raced across the ground, slithering lightning-fast across the water and heading straight for Ned. His eyes grew wide, just as he was electrocuted. Robin watched in horror as Ned slumped to the ground and died, with smoke rising from his body. The power-swelled Victor stood over him, with his scar split open, revealing a metal glow beneath the skin; he remained frighteningly calm.

“This meeting’s over, Ned.” He uttered, and that’s when Robin, who no longer could take the bone-chilling scene, hopped away from Phil and Mulch and headed out of the garage. Mulch and Phil were about to go after him, until Victor stopped them. “Let him go.”

“But he’ll tell everyone about our plan!” Phil exclaimed.

“You didn’t tell him much about it. You only spoke in pointless riddles.” Victor said. “Besides, who’d believe a kid with an overactive imagination? Especially when it deals with the soon-to-be Not-So-Fantastic Four.” Phil admitted that Victor was right; as long as Robin didn’t know the whole story about their plan, they were still in the clear.

“So what now?” Phil asked, and a wicked grin crept across Victor’s partially scarred face.

“Now we give an old friend a hand.” Victor said, and Phil looked at him oddly. Now who’s the one speaking in riddles, he thought.

-------------------

Later that night, while Will was sleeping comfortably in her bedroom, which was decorated with materials related to the frog species (including posters and framed pictures of Kermit the Frog himself), she began to have another one of her “Oracle Dreams.” This time, she was in her Guardian mode, flying through an endless fog that she could barely see through. Soon she was able to make out a small figure in the distance; she could only make out the shape of it, not the appearance. She noticed how the figure’s shape was elf-like, but nothing like what one would see in the North Pole. Then, in a different direction, Will spotted Elyon Brown, a dear friend of the Guardians and the current ruler of Meridian; she was the sister of Phobos, the evil prince that ruled before her.

Will…” She said, softly, with a hint of fear expressed in her face, “The crystal is the power. It will save the lives of everyone in every dimension.” Will wanted to speak up, but some unknown force seemed to be keeping her from uttering a single word. “You must trust them, Will. To save our way of living, you must trust him.” Elyon pointed to the elf-like figure that Will had noticed before; in his hand was a small crystal object that glowed in a purplish color, illuminating his face. But before Will could’ve gotten a good look at it, she was awakened by a small voice that spoke outside of her dream.

“Will! Will!” The voice exclaimed, and Will opened her tired eyes to see Robin, standing right next to her bed. For a moment, she thought it might’ve been one of her frog dolls coming to life (she was still half-asleep). But once she remembered how worried she and the others were about Robin’s sudden disappearance, she became fully awake, jumping out of her bed and picking Robin up. She gave him a big hug and lifted him high in the air, as if she was holding an infant, and twirled around with him.

“Oh, man! Robin! Am I ever glad to see you!!” Will yelled, but not so loud that she might wake up her mother. She set Robin down on her bed and started checking on him. “Are you okay? What happened to you?”

“I was kidnapped by Dr. Phil van Neuter and his assistant, Mulch.” Robin said, and the names seemed vaguely familiar to Will.

“Those freaks we saw in the elevator at the Baxter Building?” Will remarked. “What could they possibly want with a little dude like you?”

“I don’t know,” Robin said, “But they took me to this parking garage, where I saw Victor Von Doom electrocute a man to death!” Will was a bit startled by that news, wondering how Doom could commit such a horrible act. “It was terrible, Will! Dr. Neuter told me something that curing the Fantastic Four and how he’ll get an exchange for it.” She saw tears coming out of the frightened little frog’s eyes. “I don’t want them to be cured, Will! I like the Fantastic Four just the way they are! Especially Ben Grimm!” He started crying on Will’s bed, which forced Will to come to his aid and comfort him.

“Oh, don’t cry, Robin.” Will said, putting a hand over his tiny back. “We’ll…find some way to keep them…fantastic.” Will made that promise, feeling a bit fretful. She knew how bad the Fantastic Four wanted to get back to their normal selves; but she also knew how much their heroic acts were an inspiration to Robin. Between that situation and the one that she was going through in her dreams, she never felt so lost in her life.

“Thanks, Will.” Robin said, as he stopped crying and started sniffing. “I knew I could always count on you.”

“Yeah, well…” Will said, with a sigh, “You realize how much a pain it’s going to be telling everyone, including your uncle, where you’ve been gone.” Robin looked to one of the posters of Kermit that Will had in her room, and he felt really nervous, feeling as if his uncle was in that room with them that very moment and listening to what had been said. Robin swallowed hard, as he looked back to Will.

“Yeah, I know.” Robin said, and Will smiled, glad that Robin was safe and unharmed.

-----------------------

The next day, inside the Baxter Building, Reed entered a room that he labeled as the “Transformation Lab,” since it was where Doc was developing Phil van Neuter’s machine, along with Bunsen and Beaker. They were carrying stacks of boxes—Reed carrying more than Bunsen, Beaker, or any normal being could handle or balance; his arms were wrapped around the boxes five times over like human twine. But he stopped short and dropped the boxes when he, Bunsen, and Beaker noticed Phil van Neuter himself, overseeing a group of technicians that were boxing up some of the work that Doc had done so far, from equipment to research notes.

“Dr. Neuter?!” Reed exclaimed, and Phil turned to them, showing off a smile that could’ve looked more phony (or freaky) on a person like him.

“Why, hello, my colleagues!” Phil said, coming up to Reed, Beaker, and Bunsen, while Doc and Sprocket were sadly watching their accomplishments being hauled away.

“What are you doing here?” Bunsen asked him.

“What I should have done a long time ago.” Phil replied. “You see, since this invention was my idea, Victor and I figured that I should have an involvement in it. This all belongs to me…and, if you wanna be picky, Von Doom Industries.” Reed looked past Phil and noticed how Doc was grabbing his coat, hat, and suitcase, which signified that he was focused on leaving the building.

“But Doc isn’t finished with the machine.” Reed said.

“Precisely.” Phil uttered. “Doc is a brilliant man, Richards. He taught us all everything that he knows. But he’s too old-fashioned, relying on technology that older than Bill Gates. What I’m trying to say is that he is way too old for this type of project.” Reed, Bunsen, and Beaker were wondering where these remarks from Phil van Neuter were coming from. Was it coming from Victor himself? If so, it was ironic to them how manipulated the muppet was being.

“You boys don’t have to worry about Sprocket and me.” Doc said, as he passed by them. “We get the idea that you young folks would rather stick to the cutting-edge stuff.” Reed, Bunsen, and Beaker felt bad for Doc and Sprocket; they wanted to talk them into staying, but they knew from experience that there was no reasoning Jerome “Doc” Christian. “We’ll see you around. Come on, Sprocket.” His dog whimpered as he sadly looked at Reed, Bunsen, and Beaker, not before turning to Neuter and growling viciously at him.

“Hey, d-don’t look at me,” said the frightened Phil, “I’m just doin’ my job.”

“Come along, Sprocket.” Doc said, tugging on the leash that Sprocket was attached to, as the both of them stepped into the elevator and disappeared from the twentieth floor. Reed, Bunsen, and Beaker were disappointed over Doc’s departure, while Phil kept his giddy attitude intact.

“Don’t worry about him.” Phil said. “Von Doom’s men will get things mass-produced a lot more quicker than Doc would’ve.” Reed just shook his head, defending Doc’s career.

“Mass-produced?” He uttered. “This isn’t a toaster, Phil.”

“Look here, I know exactly how this invention works! I’m the one who drew up the schematics on that blueprint for cryin’ out loud!” Phil shouted, seemingly offended. “So, don’t talk to me like I’m some schoolboy!”

“I’m sure Dr. Richards didn’t mean to do that, Dr. Neuter.” Bunsen stated. “But you must realize how careful we must be during the developmental stages.”

“We need time to verify data.” Reed indicated. “We can’t afford any mistakes, especially when there’s only enough ions for two or three attempts.”

“If you got any problems, take them up to Mr. Doom, if you have the guts to.” Phil said. “Otherwise, shut up and let us build it, while you guys check the specs.” Reed, Bunsen, and Beaker looked very unsure about where the situation was going, as Phil went back to the five V.D.I. technicians in the room, who immediately went to work on the machine.

None of the people in that room, except for maybe Phil van Neuter, had no idea that the whole process was being observed by Victor Von Doom, who was sitting in his dimly lit office and watching everyone on a bank of video screens. He had the Baxter Building under surveillance, installing a small camera in a vent grate within the lab. He paid very close attention, as both him and Phil watched his technicians begin working the machine, while Beaker, Bunsen, and Reed stood by and just watched.

“Just like clockwork.” Victor said.

--------------------------

Somewhere on the nighttime streets of New York, right near a few nightclubs and classy restaurants, fans swarmed around Johnny, who was signing their autographs and posing for their pictures. He was soon distracted by something far more beautiful that the girls that were with him: a sleek, black, third generation Dodge Viper SRT-10. Everyone, especially Johnny was attracted by the delicious vehicle that was driven by none other than Clifford.

“Yo, man!” Johnny exclaimed. “I am definitely diggin’ those wheels!”

“Hey, if ya like the car, then I know you’ll love this.” Clifford said, just before three impossibly gorgeous models (human models—not muppets) stepped out of the car and surrounded Johnny, making some of the other girls that he was with jealous. Though it was night, Clifford still had on his cool shades; he couldn’t have looked more cooler with the car, the girls, and the techno mix of The Muppet Show theme blaring through the speakers.

“Ya got any more ‘Muppet Babes’ in there, man?” Johnny asked, and Clifford chuckled, as he gestured for Johnny and the models to get inside. They climbed in, sitting in the backseat, while Clifford started driving around the streets of NYC. It was evident that this wasn’t just a pleasure meeting; there was business involved.

“Look, Mr. Storm, it’s obvious that everybody wants you on their shows, movies, and concerts.” Clifford said. “But the one place that I think they’d really like to see you is on a Muppet program, like Muppets Tonight, for example.”

“Well, I have to admit that I’ve been loving you crazy puppets since I was a kid.” Johnny said. “But I just wonder what a muppet show might do for my reputation.”

“It’ll boost it up to the tenth degree, man! That’s what it’ll do for ya!” Clifford remarked. “I’m serious, man. We’re talking action figures, video games, sponsors…”

“Video games?” Johnny interjected. “Shoot! You are serious!”

“Man, if you can get Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Girl, and that Thing dude on this, then you might as well consider yourself one of the biggest role models in the world.” Clifford assured. “You’re already up there next to Donald Trump, man!”

“Yeah, except I’m already fired.” Johnny bantered.

“And ya still got all of your hair, too.” Clifford added, and they both laughed hysterically, just as Clifford pulled over to the side, parked the car, and turned to face Johnny and the models. “So, you wanna talk with your other teammates first, before we strike this deal?” Johnny didn’t take a second thought on the idea; instead, he just reached up and shook Clifford’s hand.

“Forget it, man.” Johnny said. “I know they’ll agree with me on this.”

“Well, alright then!” Clifford exclaimed, just before he hopped out of the car and allowed Johnny to sit in the driver’s seat. “Take it for a spin, my friend. You’re gonna need the adrenaline for tomorrow night’s broadcast.” Johnny smiled at Clifford, just before he took off in the car, taking the models with him. As Clifford watched the car speed away, he noticed how the windows were quickly beginning to steam up. Clifford couldn’t have been more pleased over finally getting KMUP involved with the Fantastic Four. But the smile on his face had suddenly turn into a frown, once he pulled out his cellular phone and contacted the station. “Yo, Beau! I need a ride back, man. And could you please not try to drive through the Hudson River again? Your cab ain’t a submarine, man!”

END OF CHAPTER NINE

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Truly wonderful Sean.

The electrocution of Ned Cecil, shockingly chilling.
The fact that Doc's leaving because Phil took over the project... Awkward and angering at the same time.
Will's dream... Intrigued about this elvan character and the purplish crystal.
And of course, yaey for Robin being safe and back with her.
Eerie how he feels his uncle's presence in the room with them hearing their conversation, just from seeing the picture of Kermit there.
And Clifford's meeting with Johnny Storm... That was great, even his little pot shot at Beau at the end.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Chapter Ten

It was raining heavily in Queens, as Ben sat at the counter inside Pete’s Diner, with his hat pulled low and coat tight. Nobody sat within four chairs of him, and neither Jenny, Pete, or the rats working inside the diner could go near him without freaking out by his appearance. He sipped his coffee in a metal bowl, as Victor Von Doom entered the diner and approached him.

“This seat taken?” He asked, and Ben turned to him, surprised.

“What are you doing here?” Ben said.

“I’m worried about you.”

“About me? How sweet.”

“Come on. Let me buy you something to eat.” Victor offered. “Looks like you could use the company.” Ben considered his offer; he did feel alone with all of the employees and customers staring at him the whole time he was there. A moment later, he and Victor were sitting in a window booth, as Jenny came by their table and set a foot high stack of pancakes in front of Ben, before removing huge plates he had just cleared.

“E-Enjoy, Mr. G-Grimm.” Jenny stammered, and as she departed from the table, Ben let out a loud belch, rattling the other plates.

“’Scuse me.” Ben uttered, while Victor eyes moved left and right, aware of the other customers in the diner starting at Ben.

“I know it can’t be easy.” Victor said. “Life hasn’t changed that much for Reed, Sue, and Johnny. At least they can go out in public. But for you? People staring and whispering behind your back…”

“If you’re trying to cheer me up, you’re doing a bang up job.” Ben remarked, as he shoved a huge piece of pie in his mouth.

“I’m just saying, I know what it’s like to lose something you love.” Victor said. “To see it slip away and know it’s never coming back.”

“Look, I know what you’re tryin’ to do to me, Vic.” Ben said. “But I’m still keeping my faith in your boy, Neuter, and this machine of his. I know it’ll fix us up.”

“For your sake, I hope you’re right.” Victor remarked, and Ben looked at him strangely, after gulping down four pancakes.

“You know, I don’t get ya, Vic.” Ben said. “One minute, you’re this pain-in-the-butt that no one can stand; and then the next you’re this sensitive guy that people can share their feelings with. I don’t know if you’ve got some ‘Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde’ thing goin’ or not.”

“I don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about, Ben.” Victor said. “I’m just trying to help you out.”

“Oh, yeah? Like you helped Doc out by removing him from the project?” Ben asked, and a sheepish look appeared on Victor’s face. “Yeah…Reed told me what you did today. That guy nearly had things done, ‘til you kicked him to the curve.”

“Ben, that wasn’t my idea.” Victor said. “It was Reed’s.” Ben’s eyes widened in surprise; he felt a little puzzled at first, but then he realized who was telling him this.

“I don’t believe ya.” He said. “You’re just playing mind games with me again.”

“Am I?” Victor said, with a grin, as he leaned back in his seat. “Reed’s a brilliant man. So why does he depend on an old fossil like Jerome Christian to do his work for him? That’s exactly the question that was going through his mind, before he decided to call me and have Christian removed from the project.” Ben found this very hard to believe; yet it seemed possible to him in some strange way. Victor read Ben’s rock-hewn face and knew that he was falling right into his trap. “We should trust he’s working as hard as he can with Dr. Neuter. So what possible reason could he have for taking his time?” He paused for a moment, leaning in closer to Ben. “I mean, other than getting close to Sue?” A seed of doubt had been planted in Ben; he couldn’t help but find truth in Victor’s words.

-----------------

The next day, during the late part of the afternoon, right next door to the Baxter Building, several of the crewmembers at the KMUP station were preparing for a live appearance by the Fantastic Four on the night’s broadcast of Muppets Tonight. When Clifford arrived at the station with Johnny Storm, he noticed how everything was running smoothly, as everyone was doing exactly what he or she was supposed to do. The Guardians were also there, accompanying Robin (who was still a bit shaken up from the previous night) as he told his story to Bunsen, Beaker, and the other Guardians.

“Oh, and it was really scary.” Robin concluded. “The last time I had ever been so frightened was when Sweetums nearly stepped on me, while going down the stairs.” Bunsen, Beaker, and the other Guardians were just as surprised by Robin’s story as Will was; they were also pleased that Robin was safe and unharmed, yet they were still troubled.

“Something just doesn’t seem right here.” Bunsen stated. “In fact, nothing has ever been right, since Dr. Christian was removed from the project. Dr. Neuter and Victor Von Doom’s technicians started developing the machine just yesterday, and they’ve already completed the five chambers by this morning.” Robin and the Guardians didn’t know much about technology, but something about the number of chambers being used for Phil van Neuter’s machine seemed rather awkward.

“Why do they have five chambers, when there were six of you that were exposed to that cosmic storm?” Will asked, and even Bunsen didn’t have a reasonable answer for that question, which was why he and Beaker became just as suspicious as Robin and the Guardians were. The area around them was just as quiet as they were for a moment, until Clifford approached with Johnny Storm, Gonzo, Pepe, and Rizzo following.

“Hey, hey!” Clifford exclaimed. “What’s up, my friends! Are you ready for to-night?!” The others could detect the excitement in Clifford’s voice; he had a good reason to be, considering that Muppets Tonight was going to have its biggest broadcast, since the move to Manhattan.

“I’m ready to find out what’s going on at the Bax…” Irma said, and before she could’ve finished, Cornelia’s hand shot up and went over her mouth.

“What was that?” Clifford asked, and Bunsen, Beaker, Robin, and the Guardians just smiled at Clifford, not wanting to reveal any information involving the rest of the Fantastic Four, Phil van Neuter, or the project they were involved in.

“Irma’s just curious as to when the rest of the team will arrive.” Taranee stated, and Johnny looked a bit anxious, glancing at his watch between every five seconds that had passed.

“They should’ve been here by now.” Johnny said. “I told them about tonight’s show. And Reed and Sue promised me that as soon as they left the planetarium, they’d come straight here. And I don’t know where that rock-head, Ben Grimm, is right now.”

“Just chill, man.” Clifford told Johnny. “The show won’t start ‘til another couple of hours. They’ve got plenty of time.”

“Yeah, well, you can never be too careful.” Johnny said, and as he headed towards the exit, Clifford started to loose his cool.

“Hey, man! Where are you goin’?!” He exclaimed.

“I promised New York and the rest of the world that they’ll see four superheroes on tonight’s program, and I’m gonna make sure they do.” Johnny said, and soon after he left the building, Clifford went into a frenzy, taking off his sunglasses and throwing them to the floor and crushing them with his foot. He cursed under his breath, forcing Hay Lin to place her hands over where Robin’s ears should’ve been.

“Don’t worry.” Robin told Hay Lin. “I heard worse from Uncle Kermit.”

“Really?” remarked the surprised Hay Lin, just as Clifford immediately calmed himself down and regained composure.

“Be cool, Cliff. Be cool.” He muttered to himself. “Just remember that soon you’ll be leaving this stressful job and coming into a new career as a Daily Bugle reporter.” As Clifford departed from the room and headed elsewhere in the studio, Gonzo, Pepe, and Rizzo turned to Bunsen, Beaker, Robin, and the Guardians; they were curious about the project that the eight friends were just discussing.

“So, I wonder if da Fantastic Four’s plannin’ on curin’ themselves before or after da show.” Rizzo said.

“It must be after, h’okay.” Pepe told Rizzo. “Otherwise, it’d be trademark infringement to pose as somet’ing you’re not.”

“Would you two forget about the show?!” Irma exclaimed. “We’ve got bigger problems, like the stuff that Robin found out two nights ago about this so-called ‘Cure Machine’ of Phil van Wilder’s.”

“Actually, it’s van Neuter.” Gonzo said.

“Whatever!” Irma yelled, nearly startling some of the other people in the station.

“What did Robin found out?” Gonzo asked, focusing on the main subject that was being discussed.

“Well, I can tell ya this much,” Robin said, “It’s not good.”

---------------------

After their date at the planetarium, Reed and Sue returned to the Baxter Building, entering the transformation lab to grab their uniforms and prepare for their appearance on Muppets Tonight. They were both happy, laughing quietly with their bodies close together. Upon entering the lab, Reed turned on the lights, and they flinched when they noticed Ben and a grinning Phil van Neuter. Ben had been sitting in the lab for hours, waiting and scowling. Reed and Sue stopped laughing immediately, while Phil was keeping himself from doing so.

“Yeah, I have that effect on people.” Ben said, as he got up from where he was standing and walked near the five completed transformation chambers that were waiting for the Fantastic Four and a fifth unknown person. The V.D.I. technicians had gone home, leaving Reed, Sue, Ben, and Phil the only ones in the lab. “You know, last night at Pete’s Diner, I was talking to Victor. And he told me some things that sounded really crazy at first, but then started to strangely make sense as I thought about them.” Reed and Sue sighed in despair, realizing how angry Ben must’ve been that moment.

“Listen, Ben,” Reed uttered, “I don’t know what he told you, but…”

“Save it, Reed!” Ben snapped. “Save it for when we’re all normal again.” Reed and Sue turned to each other, looking rather surprised by what Ben had just said.

“What?!” They exclaimed.

“That’s right, Dr. Richards.” Phil said, gesturing towards the five chambers. “It is done. Mr. Doom’s men and I have completed my machine in record time. A lot faster than Doc Christian could’ve!” Reed and Sue couldn’t believe what they were hearing, and neither could Ben when Phil told him the same thing before their arrival.

“I don’t believe it.” Sue said, and as she stared at the chambers, she was a little confused over the number of them. “Why are there five? Is the fifth one for Bunsen and Beaker?” When Sue asked that, Phil seemed very surprised and confused at the same time, never suspecting Bunsen and Beaker true involvement with the Fantastic Four.

“What?!” He yelled. “What do they have to do with this?!”

“They were transformed like we were.” Reed said, which sent a big chill down Phil’s spine, biting on the fingers of his dark brown, stained gloves nervously, as he realized the flaw in his plan. “Bunsen has a crystallization power, while Beaker can move faster than lightning, which he becomes at his fastest speed.”

“Oh…dear.” Phil said, while at the verge of passing out; but he was able to compose himself, realizing that he could always do the same to his two scientific rivals. “Well, I guess we’ll just have to cure them later.” Reed, Sue, and Ben looked at each other; neither of them could help but to sense a bit of weirdness in the situation. “Now, then, where’s Johnny? We cannot get to curing if he’s not here with you three.”

Just as soon as Phil mentioned his name, Johnny arrived at the twentieth floor of the Baxter Building, accompanied by Mulch, who he met downstairs in the lobby. He was forced to come upstairs by, even though he was already going up to check on his teammates, having no idea why the muppet monster was being so aggressive.

“Hey, guys, what’re you doing up here?” Johnny asked. “We’ve got a show to…go…” Johnny stopped once he noticed the five transformation chambers in the lab, figuring that the time had finally come for the Fantastic Four to end. “Well, I knew this eventually come back and bite me in the butt.” Johnny sighed, not wanting to lose all of the attention that he had gained over the past three weeks. “What about the show?”

“Forget the show!!!” Ben snapped, furiously. “Look at me, kid! Do I look like I wanna go on national television, showing everyone how much of a freak I am?!?!” His words were, for the first time, going through Johnny’s head, making him feel guilty for forcing his friends and family into doing something that they had no intention of doing.

“I’m sorry.” Johnny uttered, being totally sincere. “I…I just didn’t want to feel like I was part of some freak show. I wanted to move back to the real world.”

“Is that what you call it? Real?” Sue asked him. “Johnny, to those people that you claim are your friends, you are the freak show. You’re just a sideshow attraction that people get their money’s worth to see.” Sue’s words were beginning to click with Johnny as well, making him completely agitated over his popularity. Phil was becoming bored with all of the drama, which was why he immediately went back to the “real” reason why the Fantastic Four had shown back up at the Baxter Building.

“Not to interrupt your ‘90210’ moment here, people,” He said, “But I’m sure that you are all more anxious to get this over with than I am.” The Fantastic Four admitted that Phil was right, and they nodded for him to start up the machine. Once he did near a control panel, the chambers roared to life, each creating the same cosmic storm that granted them their powers to swirl within the five chambers.

The hearts of each Fantastic Four team member was starting to race, and so was Phil’s. The moment of truth had arrived, as Phil opened the doors of the chambers and allowed each member of the Fantastic Four to step inside them. Soon four of the doors to the chambers slowly closed and sealed; and just as soon as they had, Victor Von Doom stepped out of the shadows and gazed at Phil and Mulch.

“You boys go into the fifth chamber.” He ordered, as he approached the controls. “I’ll take it from here.” And without uttering another word, Phil and Mulch ran up to the fifth chamber that was still open. Once they were inside it, its door had closed and sealed them inside, right before Victor initiated the sequence. As the lights went on inside the chambers, they dimmed in the lab. The storms swirled faster, as energy pumped into the chambers. Lights began to flicker, signifying that there wasn’t enough power for the machines.

That’s when Victor walked over to the main power box that powered the five machines and punched both of his hands right through it, unleashing a massive wave of electricity that gave enough power to start a countdown on the control panels. Parts of Victor’s clothing began to singe, as electricity coursed from his body and into the main power box. The chambers activated, and the storm struck the people in them hard. The Fantastic Four, Phil, and Mulch all screamed in agony, struggling violently inside.

Outside the Baxter Building, all of the city lights were dimming slightly, leaving a bright flash from the window of the Baxter Building the only thing shining brightly in the dimmed Manhattan skyline. Inside the KMUP station, everyone reacted in alarm, as the lights in the building went dim. Bunsen, Beaker, and the Guardians were the ones that were most cautious, and when they looked out the window of a dressing room, they noticed the bright flash that was coming from the very top of the Baxter Building.

“I don’t need binoculars to tell that’s a bad sign.” Irma uttered, and they immediately dashed out of the dressing room, running past a confused and startled Robin, Pepe, Rizzo, and Gonzo. Curious as to what was going on, the four of them followed Bunsen, Beaker, and the Guardians as they disappeared from the station. Clifford was glancing at his digital watch, activating its “glow in the dark” feature and seeing that airtime was not that far away.

“Where are the Fantastic Four, man?!” He exclaimed.

Back inside the Baxter Building, the red cloud of the storm swirled with debris within the five chambers, all crackling with light. The chambers rattled dangerously, as the power seemed to shake the very foundation of the building. And then it was all over; the lights had somewhat died down, still pulsing with the chambers. When the chamber doors slid open, the first person to step out was Ben Grimm, who was no longer the rock-hewn being known as “The Thing.” He was finally a normal man, left wearing an over-sized pair of pants that he struggled to keep up.

“Oh, my god!” Ben exclaimed, just as who used to be Mr. Fantastic, The Human Torch, and the Invisible Woman and now reverted back to Reed Richards, Johnny Storm, and Susan Storm had stepped out of their chambers. They each tried to do their special trait, only to discover that none of them could stretch, turn into flames, or become invisible any more.

“It worked.” Reed said, with a smile, and he turned to a tearful Sue, giving her a big, warm hug. Johnny snapped his fingers, wanting to try out the same trick that he did three weeks ago at the V.D.I. medical facility, but he was disappointed to discover that he could no longer do it.

“Man! This sucks!” Johnny exclaimed.

“Speak for yourself, kid.” Ben remarked, with a big smile, slipping on his trenchcoat (which was now too large for him) and looking at his hands and arms, amazed by the success of Phil van Neuter’s invention. “Hey, Philly! Phil! Where are ya? Thanks for the help, pal! You really…” Ben stopped talking once he and the others noticed a spark in the shadows. That spark turned out to be the arm of Victor Von Doom, who stepped forward and revealed himself to what used to be the Fantastic Four. Electricity pumped through his body; his skin was part flesh and part metal, with his cheekbone exposed, revealing steel tissue. There was no doubt that his appearance horrified the team.

“My god!” Reed exclaimed. “Victor, what happened to you?”

“You said that I would be safe behind those shields, Reed.” Victor uttered. “You were dead wrong!”

“Victor, listen,” Sue said, trying desperately to get past his horrifying look, “The machine worked for us. It can work for you.”

“It did, Sue.” Victor remarked. “It worked perfectly.” That’s when the team realized the truth about their cure.

“You planned this?” Ben said, and Victor smiled, reaching out his hand. Electricity built from his shoulders, coursing down his arms to his fingertips.

“It wasn’t just me.” Victor stated, and the eyes of Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben moved away from Victor and up above him, as a figure that was a tall as the room they were in had stepped over Victor and stood in front of him, looking down at the group. It was Phil van Neuter, whose arms and legs were stretched further than ever, giving him the appearance of a lanky giant.

“Check it out, guys!” Phil exclaimed. “I’m tall enough to join the NBA!!” It didn’t take Reed Richards long to recognize when his former ability was being used; however, he wasn’t the one using it. “No! Not the NBA!!!” That’s when Phil’s arms and legs went back to their normal size, leaving him hovering in midair. But instead of falling, Phil was flying; and soon he was completely on fire, soaring all around the room and leaving a trail of fire behind him. Johnny Storm couldn’t believe his eyes; he wasn’t sure if he was being mocked or not by someone who was using his power. “Or better yet! I can finally play hide and seek!” Soon both the fire and Phil disappeared; everyone looked around, trying to spot him. But then they noticed how one of the boxes in the room had started floating in midair, obviously being lifted by the invisible Phil.

“Oh, god!” Sue uttered, trying to comprehend the fact that her power was being copied by someone else. As soon as Phil reappeared, the Fantastic Four realized what exactly it was that Phil and Victor had done to them.

“The machine was never meant to cure us,” Reed said, “It was built to transfer our abilities over to Phil!”

“Wow, Reed. You are the smartest man in the world.” Phil said, sarcastically, right before he threw the box at Reed, who was hit in the chest by it and sent collapsing to the floor. “Had you remained flexible, that would’ve just bounced right off you.” As Sue and Johnny checked on Reed, Ben glared at Phil and Victor, still willing to fight them, even though he was no longer strong.

“So what about me?!” He exclaimed. “Was being a rock-headed mammoth too much for ya to handle?” Victor and Phil looked at each other and grinned, just as something inside the fifth transformation chamber roared. Ben watched in horror as Mulch leaped out of the chamber and landed in front of Ben; he was no longer regular Mulch—he was larger, more fierce version of the Thing. “Good lord!”

“Take a good look, Ben.” Victor said. “These are what men who embrace their destinies look like.” That’s when Mulch-Thing punched Ben, sending him flying backwards across the room and knocking him unconscious. The overconfident Victor and Phil were soon interrupted by the entrance of Bunsen, Beaker, Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Robin, and the Guardians, who all arrived in time to see the bizarre appearances of Victor, Phil, and Mulch.

“I know I made a Rocky Horror joke earlier, but t’is is ridiculous, h’okay.” Pepe said, just as Phil extended his arm far enough to snatch Robin away from the group.

“NO!!!” Will cried, and the next words that she uttered had transformed herself and the other girls from their regular forms into their Guardian forms. “Guardians, unite!!!” After their transformation, they flew towards Victor and Phil, attempting to retrieve Robin; but four of them were soon pinned back down the floor by Mulch-Thing, leaving Will the only one to confront Victor and Phil. However, a quick electrical blast from Victor sent her off course, making her crash through a huge window and fall several feet down the side of the Baxter Building.

Will’s body crashed hard over the roof of the black Dodge Viper that Clifford had given to Johnny, shattering the windows and leaving a massive dent that matched Will’s body. The Baxter doorman, Jimmy O’Hoolihan, looked at Will’s body in horror, as it lied on the top of the wrecked vehicle with several people surrounding it. He immediately went back inside and attempted to call 911, just as Victor and Mulch-Thing (who was dragging the other Guardians behind while they had a long metal pipe wrapped around them) stepped out of the elevator and approached the scared O’Hoolihan.

“Mr. Von Doom?” He said. “Are you…?”

“Never better, Jimmy.” Victor said, just before he grabbed the doorman and sent him crashing through the revolving doors. “And it’s Dr. Doom now.” Doom and Mulch-Thing stepped out onto the sidewalk, noticing Will’s motionless body over what was left of the Dodge Viper.

“Oh, no! Will!!” Cornelia yelled, as she and the other girls watched their unconscious friend in fear. Doom moved closer to Will’s body and looked at it carefully, wondering how an ordinary girl could transform into a slightly older version of herself, with wings. He jumped back in surprise when he saw her head move a little; she had survived the fall, much to the surprise of the other girls. However, it also effected her Guardian form, which had vanished at the same time the forms of her friends had, returning them back to ordinary girls.

“You’re as much of a freak as I am.” uttered a curious Doom, who afterwards turned to Mulch-Thing and gestured towards the other girls. “Leave them all to me. Go back and help your boss bring the others to the V.D.I. building, where you’ll find me and these…things.” The way he referred to the Guardians offended the girls in ways Doom couldn’t possibly imagine. While Mulch-Thing was heading back up to the twentieth floor, Doom had grabbed Will by her ankle, pulling her unconscious body off the damaged Viper. He then grabbed a hold of the pipe that the other girls were wrapped in, dragging both them and Will behind him. As Doom passed by several people, they cowered, obviously horrified by his face.

While the people were clearing out, Doom noticed his reflection in a window, seeing scarred skin and metallic veins. He knew he had become a monster, which infuriated him so much that he shattered the window with an iron fist. As he disappeared into the night, there was a lot of crashing and banging noises made from the top of the Baxter Building, signifying some sort of fierce rumble that was taking place there.

END OF CHAPTER TEN

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Chapter Eleven

Will couldn’t remember when she was in so much pain; it was enough to make her wish that she had died. But she hadn’t died…not yet. Her vision was totally out of focus; for a moment, she thought she was in Candracar meeting the Oracle and the rest of the Council, because the other girls were with her at the moment and the room they were in was massive and bright. However, the one thing that snapped her back to reality was the dark, hooded figure straight ahead of her.

Will’s eyes began to focus again, and she realized that she wasn’t in Candracar—she was still in New York. And she was no longer inside the Baxter Building; she was inside the conference room of the V.D.I. building, sitting across the table from Victor Von Doom. She was chained to a chair, along with the rest of the Guardians, and every time she tried to break out, she only inflicted more pain on herself.

“So glad you could join us again.” Doom told Will, who looked closely at Doom and noticed that beyond the green hood he was wearing, a eerie metal mask was covering his scarred face. But what really caught her and the other girls’ attention was the mysterious crates that were looming the shadows. “Through the power of intimidation, I was able to get your names, so don’t bother introducing yourselves.” Doom propped his feet up on the table and leaned back in his chair, getting comfortable as he fiddled with something in his metal hands. “Did you girls know that together your names spell ‘Witch’?” Doom chuckled wickedly. “I wonder what’d happen if Will here was replaced with a girl named Beth?” The Guardians didn’t laugh at the joke; instead, they just stared coldly at Doom.

“What do you want? Power?” Will asked. “Looks like you’ve already got it. So I guess there’s no need in having us here.”

“No, I don’t just want power.” Doom said, getting up from his chair and walking over to the captive Guardians. “I want more power.” That’s when Doom dropped the object from his hands, only to catch it again by the band it was attached to. It was the Heart of Candracar, which Will was shocked to see in the hands of Doom; it glowed in Doom’s eyes as it dangled in front of the helpless Guardians. “I want this power.”

“You can’t have it!” Will exclaimed. “You can never control something as powerful as the Heart!”

“I have controlled just about everything in this godforsaken country, so don’t tell me that I can’t control something as gorgeous as this.” Doom said, his voice was getting more vicious and demanding. “I want to know how this thing works. If it can make pathetic girls like you into stronger, vulnerable women, then it can turn me into a greater god.”

“A god?” Irma said, with a chuckle. “You’re just a loser in a dorky mask!” That comment from Irma was what made Doom stop asking questions and start taking action. He moved over to one of the crates at the other side of the room, reached inside it, and pulled out a military-issue rocket-launcher. The hearts of the Guardians nearly jumped out through their mouths, as Doom aimed the rocket-launcher directly at them.

“Now I’m just a loser in a dorky mask, holding a big gun!” Doom exclaimed, and the girls had become so desperate that they were resorting to begging for their lives.

“Please…don’t!” Cornelia yelled.

“We’re just kids!” Hay Lin exclaimed.

“We’ve got our whole lives ahead of us!” Taranee cried.

“We…uh…We…” Irma had a problem thinking up a good reason for Doom not to annihilate them. “Well, I don’t know about them, but I’ve got tickets to see Kevin Federline, and you killing me will just let them go to waste.”

“So sorry.” Doom remarked. “I’ll make sure Britney sends her condolences.” Irma was taken aback by Doom’s remark.

“Wow. That almost had me in tears.” She said, while Doom pointed the rocket-launcher solely on Will.

“You have anything to say…freak?” He asked, and that last word he uttered had replaced Will’s fear with anger. She wanted so desperately to break out of that chair and punch the life out of Doom. Her thoughts were racing, as she stared down the barrel of the launcher; and that’s when one word struck her mind. It was a word that she had been uttering for some time now.

“As a matter of fact, I do.” Will said, and, from the top of her lungs, she screamed out that one word, “QUINTESSENCE!!!” And with that word uttered, the chains that bounded the girls to their chairs broke apart, allowing them to jump out of them, while the rocket-launcher in Doom’s hands began to crumble to pieces and turn completely into ash. A surprised Doom looked at the girls, as they stood across from him, each ready to take him on (despite the fact that he now had custody of the Heart of Candracar).

“Is there anything you kids can’t do?” He asked.

“We can’t take this entire building and drop it over your ugly head!” Irma exclaimed, and beneath Doom’s metal mask, he was grinning confidently. He looked at the Heart of Candracar in his left iron hand, intrigued by its glowing beauty. However, a quick thought made him change his mind about it.

“Forget your power!” Doom told the girls. “Mine is stronger than any of yours combined!” Doom threw the Heart towards Will, and as soon as she caught it, she and the other girls transformed back into their Guardian forms. They stood puzzled over Doom’s reason for handing the Heart back to them, which was exactly how he wanted them to be, long enough to fire an electric shockwave at Irma, Taranee, Cornelia, and Hay Lin, launching them all back. They spiraled through the air, crashing into the wall and thudding to the floor. “Now that the I.T.C.H. has been scratched, it’s time to focus on the real pain!”

“You think your so funny, you pompous jerk!” Will exclaimed. “Let’s see how hard you’ll be laughing once I’m kicking your metallic butt!” Will fired her own electric shockwave, just as Doom fired his. The impact of both shockwaves hitting each other created an intense force that flew Doom and Will back and shattered the large window near them.

Doom had been hit harder than any living thing had ever been hit. The force sent him back through the air, toward the far wall, where he smashed into a massive “V” sculpture. It snapped, crashing onto him. There were a few sparks, and then there was nothing (no movement at all). Will, who was able to control her flight as she reeled back, noticed what the shockwave had done to Doom and realized that he might’ve been dead.

“I’m never doing that again.” Will promised herself, as she flew back down to the floor and checked on the other girls, who were relieving themselves from the blow they received from Doom. “Are you girls alright?”

“Ask me that question again, when I’m not having a migraine.” Irma replied, and Will could tell (not just from Irma’s witty remark) that they were going to be fine. She moved away from them and over to the open window, seeing the Baxter Building across from the V.D.I. building. From what she had seen, there seemed to have been a great battle happening between Bunsen, Beaker, Phil van Neuter, and Mulch, each unleashing their powers on one another. Will thought of Robin, who was still with them and Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe, and she wanted to fly over there and get him away from the danger. But it was that sudden something that kept her from doing so.

“Will! LOOK OUT!!!” Taranee shouted, and when Will turned her head, she noticed how Doom (alive and somewhat well) had emerged from the wreckage, power coursing through him. He charged at Will, who charged right back at him, and the two fell through the window and into thin air. It was impossible for Will to fly, with Doom’s heavy body over hers, so all she did was wrestle with the metallic being.

On the ground, people screamed and ducked for cover, as Doom and Will smashed through the large glass roof of a lower building across the street. Both locked in combat, the two dropped through the glass and landed in a large hotel pool. They landed hard underwater, and the weight from their bodies (mostly from Doom’s) cracked the floor of the pool. They both continued fighting, until the cracks opened wider, and they were pulled toward the hole. The water was all sucked out of the hole, as Will and Doom crashed down to a hallway, where a hotel guest noticed the water flood into the hall. The roaring rapids headed straight toward him, as he jammed his key into the lock, turning desperately. He just barely leaped out of the way as the wave carrying Will and Doom smashed through a window.

Will and Doom flew out the window, thrashing in the ten thousand-gallon waterfall to a New York City street, which the water flooded through. On that same street, Fozzie was driving his Studebaker behind a garbage truck, looking all around the city for Robin, who didn’t tell anyone back at the Happiness Hotel that he would be going out (thus the reason why everyone had been panicking over his disappearance). He had pulled his car over to the nearest sidewalk, spotting a payphone that he could contact the KMUP station on, just as he heard a loud noise.

“What the…?” Fozzie uttered, as he stepped out of the Studebaker and saw how Will and Doom had landed in a large garbage truck. “Boy, and I thought Oscar the Grouch loved trash.” Fozzie and other New York citizens watched the truck rock back and forth, denting from the inside, until it suddenly stopped. Cop cars speeded closer, with their sirens screaming, just as something (or someone) exploded from the truck. It was Will, who flew across the air and landed on top of Fozzie’s Studebaker. Fozzie remembered Will from their incident on Liberty Island, almost a year ago, and he was surprised to see her there and then on top of his dented Studebaker. “Will? Hey, it sure has been a long time since I’ve seen you! How have you been?” Will looked up at Fozzie, finding it hard to believe that he just asked her that question.

“My butt just gave you a new sunroof, Fozzie.” Will remarked, sarcastically, and then she said, in a more serious tone, “How do you think I’m doing?!?!” It was when Fozzie spotted Doom, who was stepping out of the garbage truck with water continuing to flood the street around him, that he realized the trouble she was in.

“Who’s t-that guy?!” Fozzie stammered, as Will painfully removed herself from the top of Fozzie’s Studebaker.

“Just get out of here, Fozzie!” Will demanded. “Get to somewhere safe!”

“But I have to find Robin!” Fozzie exclaimed, and when he mentioned Robin’s name, Will was caught off guard, her mind going back to Robin in the Baxter Building. Her distraction gave Doom the opportunity to fire another electrical blast at Will, sending her flying back and crashing through the display window of a nearby pawn shop. Fozzie, truly intimidated by Doom’s appearance, got out of harm’s way and hid himself in the phone booth that he pulled his car over for, watching the action from in there. Doom was about to come in for another attack, until a voice that he was just beginning to get familiar with spoke to him.

“Hey, you Darth Vader wannabe!!” He turned his head in time to see Irma, Taranee, Cornelia, and Hay Lin land on the flooded street and confront him. “You’re not finished with us yet!” Cornelia knelt to the concrete and used her earth power to create a tremendous quake that knocked Doom right off his feet. Then she used her secondary powers of levitation to hurl two vehicles directly at Doom. His body was struck by the two vehicles, creating nasty wreckage around the area he was in; but with an electric shockwave, he threw the two cars off his body and started firing several streams of electricity at Irma, Cornelia, Taranee, and Hay Lin, forcing them to fly through the air and dodge the blasts.

Will was just beginning to shake the cobwebs out of her head, as she hauled herself up and stepped out of the pawn shop. She was battered and bruised, with her Guardian outfit beginning to tear away from her body, exposing the bruised areas of her body. When she noticed how Doom was battling the other Guardians, some of which were caught by Doom’s blast and sent flying into either a wall, a car, or a window. It wasn’t long before they were ravaged from Doom’s power as well. Just watching them suffer made Will realize that Doom might’ve been right; there was no way they could beat him with their powers. But that didn’t mean they had to give up.

“Fozzie!!” Will yelled, noticing him hiding in the phone booth, as she moved over to his Studebaker. “I need to borrow your car!” Fozzie stuck his head out of the booth and made a funny face (not on purpose).

“Aren’t you a little too young to drive?” Fozzie asked, and Will gave him a dirty look, which told Fozzie that she wasn’t kidding around. “Uh…sure. But the clutch sticks a little.”

“Not a problem.” Will uttered, just before she used her remarkable Guardian strength to lift the Studebaker and throw it at Doom. Fozzie watched his car in a mixture of amazement and disappointment, as it flew through the air and hit Doom hard, knocking him back twenty feet. As Doom flew back, the other Guardians caught him in midair and then hurled his body even further, making him smash directly into an out of service bus that was passing right by the KMUP station. Many of the people inside heard the sound of Doom’s body crashing into the bus, and all of them looked out any available window inside to see the bus slam into an electricity pole and snap it.

As Will and the other Guardians landed in that part of the city, neither them or anyone else in that area noticed how Gonzo, Pepe, and Rizzo were coming out of the Baxter Building, with their clothes slightly torn apart and covered in dirt, and heading over to the secret entrance of the KMUP studio, which took them through Muppet Labs and to an elevator that they would go up in to meet up with a panicking Clifford. It wasn’t long before Bunsen and Beaker had escaped from the Baxter Building as well, with their clothes ripped up to the point where anyone could make out their uniforms underneath. These muppets had obviously forgotten all about Robin, who was still stuck in the Baxter Building with the Fantastic Four, Phil van Neuter, and Mulch-Thing. They barely had time to stay and see how shocked the Guardians were, as they watched Doom step out of the bus, unharmed.

“Oh, god!” Irma exclaimed, as she shared her exhaustion and pain with the rest of the Guardians. “We’re gonna be fighting this dude ‘til the next millennium!”

“If that’s the case…then let’s do it.” Will said, and the other Guardians looked at her as if she was insane. “Let’s take this turkey down!” Though the other Guardians were willing to give up, they knew that it would only bring an end to New York and the rest of the world. At that moment, they were the only ones who could take on Doom, with the Fantastic Four only normal people now. They just mustered their courage and confronted Doom like true Guardians of Infinite Dimensions.

“IT’S CLOBBERIN’ TIME!!!” They yelled, and as they charged towards Doom, Doom grabbed the broken electricity pole, flipped it into his hand, and wielded the pole like a giant stun-gun. Electric sparks flew through the air and into the Guardians, launching them off their feet and sending them flying backwards again. They landed hard, each cratering the street. Water rushed into the craters that they made, as they laid where they were, incapacitated. Doom watched them closely, as they all returned back to their normal forms.

“They made this way too easy for me.” Doom uttered, and he continued watching the girls, waiting for them to make another move (just so he could finish them off the “proper” way), while Bunsen and Beaker departed from the KMUP station through Muppets Labs’ secret exit/entrance, together carrying a large chrome-plated gun that had several knobs, buttons, switches, and lights all over it. As they ran to the Baxter Building, they noticed the defeated Guardians and nearly began to cry. But they knew that it wasn’t time for crying; it was time to set things straight. Upon entering the Baxter Building, they were noticed by Doom, who had paid them no mind; but he was, however, curious as to what they were up to.

END OF CHAPTER ELEVEN