The Muppet Cast's Job Descriptions

Vic Romano

Reaction score
This is a little something I wrote a while ago that lists the simple things about the Muppets you don't really think about. It's a part of a bigger project I'm working on that will be posted soon. Please comment or add your thoughts!

We see the barrage of characters on The Muppet Show and enjoy it for what we see, but what happens behind the scenes? The responsibilities of certain Muppets are over looked or not thought about much, but they do in fact “work” at the Muppet theatre, having paid positions with full and part time staff members. The Muppet Theatre has to hire performance acts, pay the bills, cover sales and advertising, run an in-house commissary, and produce daily rehearsals and weekly performances as well as a plethora of other responsibilities. So based on what we see and what happens in actual production, this is a proposed list of various “key” Muppets and what some of their responsibilities would include.

Kermit the Frog - Along with responsibilities of performing as the “Master of Ceremonies” every show, duties also included:
o Billing and over-looking of ticket sales
o Financing and payroll
o Casting and performance act selection
o Director and executive producer
o Billeting and promotional advertising

Scooter - Even though he probably got a paid gig on the Muppet Show because of his uncle, he has much more to do then just get coffee (eventually a responsibility turned over to a rat) and is actually a very vital member of the staff; responsibilities include (but not limited to):
o Community and public relations
o Selection of print houses and other forms of public advertising
o Creating a welcome and comfortable environment for special guests
o Stagehand
o Personal assistant to Kermit

George the Janitor and Beauregard - Both janitors and maintenance, George disappeared after the first season and was replaced with Beau. Chances are he was fired for having a “poor attitude” as well as “failure to work comfortably with other employees”. Hence the sweet and bumbling Beau is hired. Responsibilities most likely included:
o Upkeep and cleanliness of theatre and theatre grounds
o Storage and maintenance of props, sets, equipment (electrical and musical)
o Set design and construction
o Deliveries and reception of all goods imported to the theatre (paint, props, food for the cafeteria, etc.)
o Security
o Stagehand
o Control of special effects and pyrotechnics (Crazy Harry may help and be the brains behind this one, but because of maintenance responsibilities, Beau most likely oversees these projects)
o According to the storybook “Beauregard Saves the Day”, Beau's responsibility also require he feeds and cares for all the Monsters of the Muppet Show who are locked in the basement (for safety reasons)
Beau most likely worked later in the day or even well into the evening for convenience toward the performances and rehearsals during the day. Beau also most likely lived very close to the theatre in case of emergencies, even possibly in the theatre.

Pops - If there were a job with less responsibility, it would be Pops position.
o Check-in and verification of all who enter through the backdoor
o Security… sadly, if you can believe it
o Pops also most likely guards the safe and answers the phone playing a double role as a receptionist too
o He may also be responsible for controlling the immediate books, such as counting that night's ticket sales, even though the full responsibility most likely falls on Kermit

Gladys, Winny and the Swedish Chef - There is a cafeteria in the basement of the theatre, so it does require staffing. Originally, the cafeteria was run by Gladys, after her was Winny who had a very short lived career as the Muppet's chef. Eventually it just made too much sense to have the Swedish Chef to take on full responsibility, even though most of his cooking was probably done on set, and not in the basement cafeteria's kitchen.
o The ordering, preparing and serving of food
o Menu preparation
o Cleaning the kitchen area and kitchen utensils
o Maintain a clean and healthy environment, adhering to all Health Inspection codes.

Dr. Teeth, Nigel and Rowlf - Along with being crucial to the performing of music, these three are most likely responsible for arranging, composing, selecting and mixing all the music that is performed on the Muppet Show (A whatnot Muppet named Roger assisted in one episode). They also probably assist in hiring additional musicians or casting temp studio musicians. Floyd is probably a part of this as well, just not as much.

Sam the Eagle - He really is there to control censorship and indecency! Sam is probably a hired hand to help regulate programming and control to make sure the Muppet Show adheres to FCC regulations. This most likely includes keeping a journal of what happened on the show and describes what the acts consisted of, the content of the script as well as control of wardrobe. Sam may not be a lawyer, but he most certainly accompanies Kermit to any legal meetings or corporate events, and while strict, his intentions are good in that making sure the Muppets don't incur any fines based on indecency or FCC violations. Sam's position is actually quite practical and helpful when you take into consideration the Muppet Show is a prime time international television broadcast. While it is never mentioned or shown, Sam would be in control of the "Dump Button."

Hilda - Wardrobe, not seen really at all, but most likely just hid in the unseen backgrounds, as the Muppet Show would require a large inventory of wardrobe and someone would indeed have to manage it.

Bunsen and Beaker - Why on earth would a variety show need two scientists? Chances are, the wackiness of the Muppets allowed them to integrate Muppet Labs as a funded operation in return for the leasing of space in the theatre. Even a flop enterprise as Muppet labs would have to eventually invent something useful (and profitable), hence allowing Muppet Labs to display their most recent inventions (with the accessibility of a prime-time television show) and therefore receive either government or public funding, of which profits were passed along to the theatre. In a word: Sponsorship.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I actually wrote a mini-play for a school project about a stage hand for the muppets. It ran on the same premise that the Muppet Theater was a real place and she got hired by Jim one day.

I think Harry is in charge of special and stage effects and the whatnot, but I also think that Gonzo has a hand in these things, with all the stunts he pulls. :crazy: :concern:

Uncle deadly

Reaction score
Dave, you have a lot of time on your hands man!
thats pretty cool!

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Gladys, Winny and the Swedish Chef - There is a cafeteria in the basement of the theatre, so it does require staffing. Originally, the cafeteria was run by Gladys, after her was Winny who had a very short lived career as the Muppet's chef. Eventually it just made too much sense to have the Swedish Chef to take on full responsibility, even though most of his cooking was probably done on set, and not in the basement cafeteria's kitchen.
o The ordering, preparing and serving of food
o Menu preparation
o Cleaning the kitchen area and kitchen utensils
o Maintain a clean and healthy environment, adhering to all Health Inspection codes.
I dont think Swedish Chef actually works backtage, I think he's supposed to be like a TV chef. Although he did cook in the Boarding House

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Wow. This must have taken you a while to figure out and write down. I enjoyed it very much; very descriptive, and the duties fit the characters very well.

TuttertheMouse said:
I dont think Swedish Chef actually works backtage, I think he's supposed to be like a TV chef. Although he did cook in the Boarding House
Actually, the Chef has been known to work in the canteen at the Muppet Theatre. The example I'm thinking of right now is from the episode with the Percolator Sketch (where the Chef winds up with a Percolator on his head and is examined by the cast from Veterinarian's Hospital). Right before that sketch Scooter has to go down to the canteen and tell the Swedish Chef to get ready to go on, because the Chef is cooking in the kitchen while Gladys is serving the food.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I used the Kermitage as a source for this, and it credits the Chef as working down there. Excellent and useful site too.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good job Vic. Few questions/doubts.
1 What's "billeting"?
2 I personally wouldn't have Bo as the theater's security force.
3 Though it may be just me, I think of George the Janitor as the theater's janitor and Beauregard as the theater's handyman and/or stagehand.
Hope this helps and have a good weekend.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I suppose you could do some Muppets Tonight Characters as well...

Clifford's role might be similar to Kermit's at the Muppet Show

Rizzo's is similar to Scooter's

Kermit probably had some sort of Executive Producer credit

Nigel seemed to be the director

Andy and Randy had some general off-screen work

Bobo is security

Seymour and Pepe are the lift operators as you know

I'll leave you to pick that up if you wish to Vic...

Vic Romano

Reaction score
1 What's "billeting"?
This means Kermit would be responsible for lodging guests, performers on the move or even the regular cast and housing them. But now that I think about it more, maybe billeting would have been Scooter's responsibility, but I hope this is a decent definition.
2 I personally wouldn't have Bo as the theater's security force.
Probably not, but in my opinion it's simply a defacto role, something he kind of slipped into simply because no one else is available.
3 Though it may be just me, I think of George the Janitor as the theater's janitor and Beauregard as the theater's handyman and/or stagehand.
I did too, and like the idea of Beau having more theatre oriented knowledge and not a janitor, along with the idea that that is all we really ever saw George do is clean. However, take this into consideration:
* George is gone after the first season
* Beau is also synonomous with a mop: Kermit gives him a special mop, his Palisades figure comes with a mop, he is very conscious about keeping the theatre tidy. Beau is very much a janitor in that sense, and in my opinion, a much better one then George ever was.

As far as Muppet's Tonight is concerned, I never watched it, I never cared for it. I like Clifford, I love Kevin Clash, but the idea of making a show with Kermit in it and he's not the host burns me in a way I can't explain. But that's just me. However, Harvey Towers, you seem to have something really good going, maybe you could create that list, I'd enjoy learning more about it.