The Muppet Movie Ride

tallnikky

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about this attraction that was supposed to be built at MGM Studios theme park located at Walt Disney World.

I never heard anything about this until I ran across an article at
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.htm?../articles/02192004.1.htm~contentFrame

Here's part of the article...

"Jim Henson's MuppetVision 3D" was only supposed to be ... the start of things. That the whole backmost corner of Disney/MGM Studio Theme Park wasn't meant to be home to just the Hunchback amphitheater and/or that bland bunch of New York Street facades. But -- had the Disney/Muppet merger (actually) gone through the way it was supposed to -- this part of the park would have become home to Muppet Studios.

Which -- as it turns out -- Muppet Studios would then have been home to Disney-MGM's best ever ride-through attraction: "The Muppet Movie Ride."
This was going to be *THE* ride for Disney/MGM. The one that -- barring all others -- you *HAD TO* see during your day at the theme park. A "Pirates of the Caribbean" for the 1990s. An epic attraction that would have featured elaborate set pieces, amazing special effects as well as dozens upon dozens of audio-animatronic Muppets."

-Jim Hill Media

Apparently the deal never went through because of Jim Henson's death, but I wonder now with the recent merger if it becomes a possibility again.

:smirk:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oooh, I've heard of this. It's so cool, ain't it.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Oh my gosh,what phenomenal ideas! I have been to Disney numerous times(6),and have enjoyed MGM,especially Muppet Vision.I remember when Jim created Waldo,he had just 'touched' into CGI animation,and with Muppet Vision,he just 'touched' into animatronic animation.I have forever thought of where Jim's imagination would go,if he was still around(with these new mediums/that were new to him). I really hope,now that Disney has the Muppets,they introduce future generations to what we already know #1 and #2 the sky's the limit.If Disney wants to (badly enough),to take the Muppets to new heights,(after reading that article all the way through); if they are serious about the Muppets,we should see great things coming from humble beginnings.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
tallnikky said:
Has anyone else heard about this attraction that was supposed to be built at MGM Studios theme park located at Walt Disney World.

I never heard anything about this until I ran across an article at
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.htm?../articles/02192004.1.htm~contentFrame

Apparently the deal never went through because of Jim Henson's death, but I wonder now with the recent merger if it becomes a possibility again.
As mentioned before on this forum, Jim Hill uses a lot of hyperbole and half-truths in his columns. It's entirely possible the ride never got beyond a brainstorming session and (maybe) a few rough sketches. For one, the animatronics and special effects described in the column would be insanely expensive.

Of course, it's still a cool idea especially the restaurant. They did a great job with Muppetvision 3D and I hope they add more Muppet attractions in the future.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Are they any more expensive than the Pirates of the Carrabien? Probably not. I think it's still plausable. I only hope that Frank Oz does the voice work for Piggy, Fozzie, Animal, and Sam. I also hope that Steve does any voice work for Statler. I'd also like Jim Henson's voice to be used as much as possible for his characters, though I doubt that will happen.

I think there will most definatly be Muppet attractions added to Disney World/Disney Land. I still hold out hope for a Muppet section. Call it Muppet Land just like Tormoow Land or Frontier Land.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I like that Muppet Movie ride idea. That would be a dream come true if that ever came about. I wouuld have to make sure to take a trip to Disney World. And WiGgY I dream of a section called Muppet Land too. Wouldn't that be the best part of the park :smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
I see Muppet Land (or something like it ) as being like Toon Town at Disney Land, not the crapy one at Disney World. At Toon Town in Disney land they actually have scenes set up with toon fire works and stuff. This could totally be done with the muppets. It's the exact same type of thing, only with animatronic puppets instead of animatronic toons. Disney is big on animatronic attractions too, so I totally see something like this happening in the next few years.

Also, expect muppet rides to have the same kind of video that was playing in the waiting area of Muppet Vision to be playing in line for any new muppet rides or attractions. I see an animatronic Kermit greeting people, maybe some muppet themed shops. PErhaps a candy sop with rats making candy, animal in the music section, plenty of stuff that can and will likely be done.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Can you imagine the Muppet fan party we'd have if this ride was opened? :crazy: That would be awesome!

Beauregard

Reaction score
No fear of that :wink:

Meaning, sorry, but that just ain't going to happen.