The Muppet Show Comic Book: the Four Seasons V1 out now

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I remember Amy and Dave both complaining that they had to basically make happy, smiling to the camera pictures when they did their respective comic covers...

Dave wanted to use a disgruntled or slightly annoyed Kermit here, but Disney wouldn't let them.

I recall Amy was basically told to make a "Remember these guys?" cover.'

But even then, Boom and Disney gave them more artistic freedom the further the line went down.

I have to admit, I like the Spring cover... at least it has some nice movement to it, especially Animal... but it just doesn't have the same feel as the ones done by everyone else, and it makes me miss the artwork of James, Dave, Amy, and Shelli (who's doing a fantastic job with Adventure Time, BTW). It's too bad that Roger wouldn't work for Marvel (he's not really a fan, considering what happened to his "The Mighty Thor," I wouldn't wanna work their either), because they could have used his covers, and he could have drawn up fresh ones for the 2 that haven't been drawn yet.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The one thing I'm really not digging is the Disney covers. I can forgive the off-modelness, as Langridge's art certainly takes liberties with the characters. (Except for Camilla on the cover. Since when does she have Sam the Eagle hands?!) However, I'm getting tired of seeing the most marketable characters all making happy faces at the camera, particularly Animal. They're all "Yay!" pictures. The Boom! comics had some great covers, nifty images that caught the eye and got you interested in the story inside. The Disney covers just show you Muppets staring ecstatically into the camera lens. Blah.
I don't mind off-model at all - in fact lots of times i LOVE it...but that's usually because by going off model, the artist in question is utilizing a particular type of style. Langridge is masterful at this as were the early SST artists. But it's the type of style used with the current Disney covers that are a turn off...they're kiddified almost bordering on babyish, and doesn't encourage readers past a certain age to want to pick them up or get excited about them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But it's the type of style used with the current Disney covers that are a turn off...they're kiddified almost bordering on babyish, and doesn't encourage readers past a certain age to want to pick them up or get excited about them.
I have to say, even though I like the Spring cover to an extent, I don't like Camilla with nostrils. or even Camilla on the cover in a story with no Camilla in it.

Yeah, it's definitely kiddy marketing at work here. Seems like Marvel just basically tossed it off, didn't even bother to make a preview for these things, either. But at least they didn't dump overused poser pictures on the covers.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely kiddy marketing at work here. Seems like Marvel just basically tossed it off, didn't even bother to make a preview for these things, either. But at least they didn't dump overused poser pictures on the covers.
Ooh, good point.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Ye local comic shop in my town has this in the "kiddie comix" section of the store. Eh...at least they had one copy left when I snagged it today.

Decent story, agree with you all on the coloring...hoping the stories improve. This isn't Langridge's best stuff. But hey, at least it's finally seeing publication!
-------------

Drtooth

Reaction score
Summer is out.

The story is much stronger this time. And there's a LOT of sketches in this one. Very short one page skits, but there's a Vet's Hospital, a Muppet Labs, AND a Pigs in Space. A very short one.

And the layout is MUCH better with the credits page at the end. The first 3 pages only take 3 pages.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I got it too! I thought the snow came in too quick, did you? I wasn't sure if they edited out some stuff or not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that was the case. I think it was sudden onset of something unexpected. I don't think a full explanation was written or even necessary.

But I loved seeing YET another gang of Muppet doppelgangers. The Whatnots, featuring Miss Tiggy, Dr. Tounge, and a giant carrot that's obsessed with spoons.