The Muppet Show...Continued?

outerelf

Reaction score
The problem is, a lot of times people looked to the Muppet Show as a kids show. It isn't. It never was. Yes it was enjoyed by all ages, and created to embrace all ages, but it was never meant for kids alone.

I'd kind of like to see a new show in a more grown up setting.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Okay the big question is what would work best for a new Muppet television series?

I remember when I first heard advertisements for a new Muppet Show the way they were talking I assumed The Muppet Show was coming back for a brand new season after the passing of Jim. When I saw it was actually Muppets Tonight I was slightly taken aback but quickly adapted to the new format and style and I thought maybe they needed to try something fresh instead of the old routine for the new generation.

So looking at this thread I think there are at least three options for a comeback.

1. Return the Muppets to their old vaudeville theater
2. Continue the premise of the Muppet television studio
3. Go for something completely new as Dr. Tooth suggested and have Muppet characters star in situation comedy short stories on the likes of old Looney Tunes classic cartoons

I would probably enjoy any of those three scenarios but I do so hope we get something. We can't just let the Muppets gather dust and rot. We need them to continue.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly think LTS was a little juvenile, but still, better than the Simpsons-y tastes that VMX and Oz had. Personally, I liked how the mild innuendo (which itself was a joke about innuendo) flew in the face of parental groups that moaned and groaned and whined until they pulled Snoop Dog's cameo out of VMX. We lost a GREAT Electric Mayhem scene because of it. And for that reason, I'll never let it go.

A new project shouldn't be a retread either. I love the Muppet show and all, but I don't want to see a cheap clone of it. Again, I think Roger did so much service to the series with his comic book adaption... he improved the concept, I think.

I really feel that the second half of Muppets Tonight hit a mark they should strive for. Not just have one big celebrity for them to fawn over (which somehow didn't work all the time)... but rather, smaller cameos akin to the movies. make the shows first and foremost about the Muppet characters. All plot should be focused on them. If they can make a musical format based on a character's interactions through the day (Like the BEST episode of MT, Johnny Come Home) and just take the action outside of the studio/theater/whatever. The ONE thing I felt MT (and the comics) did better than TMS was taking action and plot points outside the theater. you could have some nice tender character moments that way.

Walter

Reaction score
However, I see one complication: It is a common practice among networks nowadays to cut out the original closing credits of a show and re-create them in fine print on a sidebar on one half of the screen while a commercial plays on the other half of the screen.
Actually, That is one thing Disney Channel has going for them... In live action shows, the credits are superimposed over the ending scene.. on animated shows, the top half of the screen shows a clip/cutscene and the bottom half has credits. This is actually a standard, and is consistent with all programming with the exception of imported shows( My BabySitters a Vampire)

The problem is, a lot of times people looked to the Muppet Show as a kids show. It isn't. It never was. Yes it was enjoyed by all ages, and created to embrace all ages, but it was never meant for kids alone.
Couldn't had said it better myself

1. Return the Muppets to their old vaudeville theater
2. Continue the premise of the Muppet television studio
3. Go for something completely new as Dr. Tooth suggested and have Muppet characters star in situation comedy short stories on the likes of old Looney Tunes classic cartoons
Like DrTooth said, Looneytunes is a good show, and it would be interesting to take that approach with it (THE MUPPETS already seems to be taking that sort of approach in terms of real world scenarios) But the more I think about it, It seems like the most likely thing to happen would be a new version of Studio DC.. except this time, they need to do it right.. and by that I mean, actually SHOW the skits they were working on.. Also It wouldn't hurt to put less emphasis on the Disney channel stars.. as it felt like the Muppets were guest starring...when it was their show!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I honestly think LTS solved that issue. If anything, it was a little juvenile
Well yeah see it was good that the tasteless stuff was gone, but then you could argue LTS was a bit too childish, lol. Balance is the key. :wink:

I really feel that the second half of Muppets Tonight hit a mark they should strive for.
I just don't know, I gave up on MT after one episode. And the clips I've heard on the MC radio didn't change my mind. I know sometimes a series need time to find its footing, I'd honestly have to see the rest of the show for myself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just don't know, I gave up on MT after one episode. And the clips I've heard on the MC radio didn't change my mind. I know sometimes a series need time to find its footing, I'd honestly have to see the rest of the show for myself.
The writers didn't find their footing until...

(Wait for it...)

THE LAST EPISODE!

It was canceled once they found the voice for the show. How much does that sting? :news:

I mean, not so much the tone, but to take the element of not having them stuck in the theater, fawning over one celebrity. That's what I'd like to see in a new show. Something that can incorporate segments like Pigs in Space and musical numbers, but to randomize them a little more. I would like to see something in between Muppets Tonight and the Muppet Central segments of the Jim Henson Hour. Something that can be irregular and regular. Above all, I want a TV show that thinks like a Muppet movie. Tell a story first, add the segments later. Again, that's why I think Roger improved the TMS format when he did the comics. But then again, the lack of celebrity made for more story for the characters, and the lack of audio in the format made some risky creative changes that paid off.

I love TMS and all, but there's something about the movies that the show just can't compare to. They added a lot of depth that can't be felt when you only have a few minutes of backstage plotlines. Sort of like how Follow that Bird benefits from not having the letters and numbers pop up. I want so see something that's got the soul and brains of a classic Muppet movie, but the portability of a TV show. MT tried that the later the show went on.

But that's the thing with MT... I've never seen a halfway skit. They're either incredibly good, or incredibly awful.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Again, that's why I think Roger improved the TMS format when he did the comics.
Yeah I finally did get to see one of the comics at the library and I see what you're saying. It's the Muppet Show, but with more possibilities for exploring the characters' relationships.

outerelf

Reaction score
I'll have to admit I haven't watched many of the Muppet Show episodes simply because I don't connect to its guest stars, I have always enjoyed the various sketches that go on. I'd feel sad it they completely took them out.

Truthfully, the format should allow for at least one song. Certainly more backstage, but don't forget at least one random skit, or even part of a skit really- I'd like to see if they could come up with something similar to Java, or Hugga Wugga, or just a little break.

Of course, they could always try the format of Muppet Babies.

David French

Reaction score
Folks - a number of you are jumping the gun here. I think we should just wait and see how well the film does before we start worrying about whether or not this will lead to a new series.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well yeah see it was good that the tasteless stuff was gone, but then you could argue LTS was a bit too childish, lol. Balance is the key. :wink:
heralde could you or anybody please tell me what LTS stands for? I may well know the show in question. But I can't picture just what it is.:confused: