The Muppet Show...Continued?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll have to admit I haven't watched many of the Muppet Show episodes simply because I don't connect to its guest stars, I have always enjoyed the various sketches that go on. I'd feel sad it they completely took them out.

Truthfully, the format should allow for at least one song. Certainly more backstage, but don't forget at least one random skit, or even part of a skit really- I'd like to see if they could come up with something similar to Java, or Hugga Wugga, or just a little break.
Any time they had a bad guest or one I just couldn't connect with, or worse... didn't know because I wasn't alive in the 70's, the show just felt... off. Especially when they talked to the Muppets. However, stuff like Pigs in Space, The Swedish Chef, and Bear on Patrol are always good.

Now that I think of it, a show with a format similar to the Sex and violence pilot might just work. The quick cuts, the short skits... why, look at Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and Mad. They're all a loose collection of jump cuts and short skits. Just put some celeb cameos in it, and you got a perfect Muppet program.

Folks - a number of you are jumping the gun here. I think we should just wait and see how well the film does before we start worrying about whether or not this will lead to a new series.
Agreed. Somehow, I don't see this happening no matter how successful the movie is. It's still a gamble, and TV networks don't like to gamble. Even though most of the time, gambling pays off.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
heralde could you or anybody please tell me what LTS stands for? I may well know the show in question. But I can't picture just what it is.:confused:
Letters to Santa. :smile:

Any time they had a bad guest or one I just couldn't connect with, or worse... didn't know because I wasn't alive in the 70's, the show just felt... off.
I don't mind not knowing the stars, sometimes it's cool to learn more about pop culture figures from the past. As far as "bad guests," for me it's just that sometimes the guests and the skits just don't gell.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The guests didn't really affect my enjoyment of an episode. I don't really care for Loretta Lynn but that was one of my all time favorite overall episodes...likewise, Debbie Harry is one of my favorite people in the universe but i thought the non-guest star segments was one of the series' weaker episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The guests didn't really affect my enjoyment of an episode. I don't really care for Loretta Lynn but that was one of my all time favorite overall episodes...likewise, Debbie Harry is one of my favorite people in the universe but i thought the non-guest star segments was one of the series' weaker episodes.
That was the one where they took the show to a train station, right? Yeah, I love the concepts of that one... of course, I think the concepts used in the Steve Martin episode kinda hurt the episode's potential. Meanwhile, you have the John Cleese episode, where the guest and the concepts work together (didn't he even help out with the writing of that one?), and it's one of my favorite episodes.

I will say this... to look for a great example of Muppets Tonight, I LOVE the Andie McDowell episode. You actually have an A and B story AND skits. Bunsen, without Beaker, feels depressed and searches for his identity (taking the story out of the studio), meanwhile, Beaker's on a Star Trek cruise, talking to a George Takai that won't shut up. That part alone was gold. If only the rest of the series was that good.

Nothing would be worse than having to see them whoring out Lady Goo Goo Gaga and Ke$ha on this show.
Unlike.

How is Lady Gaga any different than... uh...errr... half the 1970's ONLY Muppet Show guests? She IS a huge Muppet fan... we've seen her Kermit outfit. If someone's a Muppet fan, they SHOULD be a considered guest.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have a very different and strong thought about where the Muppets should go after the movie. I feel that the Muppets are going to be huge and fans are going to want to
watch them from week to week after the movie. I feel that it's almost inportiant
for them to have a show shortly after the movie is relessed. I also feel that we should
have the Muppet Show DVD's and other shows the Muppets have done on DVD. I think we have really waited to long for season 4 and I personaly would love to see the all of the seasons re relessed on blu-ray with some great bouns featuers. I'm getting side
tracked, anyways
I feel that as far as a show would go we need to bring back the old show aspects
with some new skits and bring back a lot of the old skits and for Lord's sake don't
replace Dr. Theeth and the band with some cheeys whatnot band.
The only host or star of the show should and needs to be Kermit. The world will
not respond well to any other Muppet being the host/star of the show.
Muppets like Rowlf, Scooter, Link, Strangpork, the EM band they all have a new
person to give them a voice. give them the chance to make these Muppets
grow. We have heard that some of that is going on in the movie, but you
can't have ehough of that in a 1hour and 20 mim movie.
Theater or TV station does not bother me but I do love how much time they
did take to build the old theater for the movie, so if they could use something like
that and the arches for the theme song I would be happy.
The bottem line is the Muppets belong on TV again America and the world
are ready for the Muppets again It's time to play the music It's time to light
the lights' It's time to meet the Muppets and get them back on TV tonight!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only time Dr. Teeth's band was replaced during Henson's time was for Jim Henson Hour... but that entire show went off in a completely different direction from the Muppet Show. After his time, the band was replaced due to a recasting issue. Teeth and Janice yet to find a permanent recast, Animal was all up to Frank Oz... the sequence in MTI where Zoot and Floyd were talking sums it up... Zoot's a silent character who barely says any major lines. In fact, all we got out of Teeth in years was a "Shalom!" in MFS.

But things have since changed. Janice, Dr. Teeth, and Floyd not only have been recast, but they've been major players in recent projects... at least compared to before. They even played backup in an episode of AFV.

The Electric Mayhem has become very important to the Muppet brand lately, be it in projects like Bohemian Rhapsody, or merchandising like the Vynalmation figures.

In the case of Muppets Tonight, a LOT of new characters were created to fill in gaps left by classic ones that were yet to be recast. Some were dumped, and some need to be recast anyway, since Brian's not with Disney's part of the Muppets. So, ironically, old characters will now fill the roles left by new characters that filled the roles they once had. The only major new Muppet I could see joining the cast based on the performance of the movie is Walter. Maybe Angelo as a background... but mostly Walter.

Now if we can just hear Link and Strangepork's new recasts.... I wanna see the REAL Pigs in Space, not the Next Generation.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
heralde could you or anybody please tell me what LTS stands for? I may well know the show in question. But I can't picture just what it is.:confused:
Bill, in case heradle hasn't heard you LTS is Letters To Santa where Gonzo, Kermit, Fozzie, Rizzo, and Pepe went to deliever letters from kids to Santa Claus.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Thank you Dominic though heralde has in fact already told me it stands for Letters To Santa. However she only told me its name so thank you for the brief description. It sounds like a very exciting show. :smile: