The MuppetCast - Show #34 - An Afternoon with Dave Goelz

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Yep. Not kidding about that. Muppeteer Dave Goelz appears on The MuppetCast this week, in person, in an exclusive interview. We talk about Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, as well as his amazing career.

We take a good look at Emmet Otter this week. There are actually two special guests in this episode, musician Matt Surowiec and Muppeteer Dave Goelz. Matt recently released a 30th Anniversary tribute CD, and we hear from the music and the musician.

Dave Goelz was in Columbus, OH, this past weekend presenting the uncut, original version of Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. The film was presented by the Jim Henson Legacy (check out their new website!), and was a treat to see in its full unedited glory! Gonzo also came along, and we get to hear from Gonzo in this episode as well. Could it really get any better?

Thoughts, comments, and questions are always encouraged, both here in the forum and via email at me@muppetcast.com. You can even call and leave The MuppetCast a voicemail at 614-364-4270.

Have a great week!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Aah, that is so awesome! I am downloading it right this second. :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Great interview with Dave Goelz! I completely understand what he meant about the Muppets becoming a spiritual journey. I've always felt that way too, and though I hadn't noticed before, I guess Emmet Otter was one of the first times that side of the Muppets was revealed.

It was also so nice to hear Rowlf's song on the Jimmy Dean show. :cry: :smile:

I love Gonzo's line "We all live in the same warehouse!" :concern:

And finding out what inspired Jim and Richard's Emmet Otter characters, as they are rarely given much attention.

I really wish I could have been at that Q&A! Lol

Luke

Reaction score
Just finished listening to the 'cast, i stay up late every Sunday night to catch it and absolutely amazing to hear the fantastic Dave Goelz. Thank you so much Steve for going to these events for the fans and getting opportunities like this one, sounds like it was a great event to go to and kudos for getting it onto the show so fast!

:concern:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It was also nice to hear the kids at the Q&A, they really seemed to enjoy Emmet Otter and the Muppets in general. Which I think does go to show that kids today are still interested in Muppets and they don't need to change at all. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Steve... Finished listening. Thoughts and questions will be sent or posted... Nice save with the action figures at the end. Gonzo's appearance turned out much like last August's M3 special gathering. Funny schtuff there. There's a hunch I have that when Prawny comes back he'll love this episode.
Take care and have a great week.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve... Guess I'll ask here then.
1 Regarding the contest, can a person enter more than once? Are Muppet Christmas albums fair game as well?
2 Regarding the special-release Emmet Otter tribute album, was the combination song "Our World/Brothers" included in the track listings?
3 So great to listen to an interview with Dave Goelz. For me, it was a Ghostbusters 2 Louis Tully "Wow!" moment (the scene in the courthouse after they captured the Skelari Brothers...
"Two in the box, ready to go. We be fast," *points finger down at the trap "they be slow.")
Everything was fascinating and interesting to listen to from one of the core Muppeteers. And of course, there was Gonzo's contributions to the discussion.

Thanks, look forward to the next show.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm going to admit that it took #34 episodes of Muppetcast to lure me in, but Dave Goelz did it. Well, I have missed something amazing. The MuppetCast is amazingly professional, and put together so well that I don't even know where to start.

I'm still listening, but have one quick question, who is Emmet's friend who sounds exactly like Beauregard? Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas sounds amazing...I've never heard clips from it before.

I look forward to the interviews!

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Hi there Beauregard! Glad to have you aboard.

Emmet's friend is Wendel the Porcupine, and he is performed by the one, the only, Dave Goelz! Lol...probaly why they sound similar. He was built by Rollie Krewson, a veteran Muppet builder.

Thanks again for your kind comments about the show, and don't be a stranger!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I happen to love the fact that you managed to scoopt the Dave G interview before Henson.com podcast! They made their announcement today and I couldn't help thinking, "And what else is new?" :halo:

Good job Lizard!