The Muppets and Lady Gaga in new Christmas special November 28 on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cars is one thing. Both movies were successful, and it was an established franchise. Planes was forced. Cars came off as an organic success (at least the first one), where Planes was nothing more than a calculated toy commercial of a film. The movie was meant to be a throwaway DTV release, and then was bumped to an August theatrical release date where it barely did well. Sure, it probably did slightly better domestically than Smurfs 2 and Turbo (which made back its budget and more, but only internationally), but it just doesn't have the same appeal beyond collectible die cast kid's vehicles. Whether or not it becomes a hit on home video remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, they couldn't sweep Ralph under the rug fast enough. And really... that had so much potential to becoming a retro gamer friendly franchise. T-Shirts, console skins... at least the Pop figures are getting a wider release.

Then of course there's the other issue. Disney has too many freakin' brands. Even without Marvel and Star Wars. They have at least 2 girls brands (Princesses and Fairies), 2 additional preschool girl's brands (Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First), Pixar... subbrands based on Toy Story and Cars, Planes (which they desperately want), whatever movie comes out that year that they made themselves, and Phineas and Ferb. I'm sure that in time they'll establish Gravity Falls and Wander over Yonder as well (they had better!) How the Muppets will fit in that will hinge on the next film, no doubt.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Cars came off as an organic success (at least the first one), where Planes was nothing more than a calculated toy commercial of a film.
Strange, it worked when they were called Autobots and Decepticons! :stick_out_tongue:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Cars is one thing. Both movies were successful, and it was an established franchise. Planes was forced. Cars came off as an organic success (at least the first one), where Planes was nothing more than a calculated toy commercial of a film. The movie was meant to be a throwaway DTV release, and then was bumped to an August theatrical release date where it barely did well. Sure, it probably did slightly better domestically than Smurfs 2 and Turbo (which made back its budget and more, but only internationally), but it just doesn't have the same appeal beyond collectible die cast kid's vehicles. Whether or not it becomes a hit on home video remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, they couldn't sweep Ralph under the rug fast enough. And really... that had so much potential to becoming a retro gamer friendly franchise. T-Shirts, console skins... at least the Pop figures are getting a wider release.

Then of course there's the other issue. Disney has too many freakin' brands. Even without Marvel and Star Wars. They have at least 2 girls brands (Princesses and Fairies), 2 additional preschool girl's brands (Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First), Pixar... subbrands based on Toy Story and Cars, Planes (which they desperately want), whatever movie comes out that year that they made themselves, and Phineas and Ferb. I'm sure that in time they'll establish Gravity Falls and Wander over Yonder as well (they had better!) How the Muppets will fit in that will hinge on the next film, no doubt.
Disney has been in the brand business for a while and there is no sign of that slowing down. That's neither a good nor a bad thing. It's just a fact. The creativity is left to those participating in each individual greenlit project. (FYI: That's kind of why we get good-looking content with lack-luster, yet strongly-branded, advertising design.)

It is my belief that Disney very much wants to get more product on the shelves, but that depends on retailer interest. That means store owners, not fans, have got to want to stock these things and right now there isn't a strong desire.

The reason why Wreck it Ralph had little merch is the same reason why nobody could find any Minion toys (aside from cheap carnival prizes) after Despicable Me. Products are planned, vetted and made a year or more in advance of a film's release. There's no guarantee of success, so the merchandising windfall is usually reserved for the sequel. That goes back to retailer interest.

For example, I'm certain all the heavy hitters were given a bite at The Muppets, Wreck it Ralph and Despicable Me a year or so ahead of their release dates and they were hesitant about committing to a high enough volume to meet the requirements for the level of products you are talking about. It's very much like the stock market in the sense of risk and investor interest. It takes months to manufacture things and rushing an order significantly increases the cost. The property has cooled by that point so a proportionate product push is planned for the sequel.

Despicable Me 2 received a Minion product infusion! Ralph 2 will likely get a lot more products upon release, more upon Blu-ray release and then fade away. The last Muppets film fared well here, but was kind of tepid overseas (probably due in part to a delayed release) and that's why they're visiting Europe this film! However, the products for Most Wanted will reflect the previous movie's success. Because of this, I expect a little more, but not much more, product than last time. However, the Muppets are a brand that's been around a long time and they'll always have something on shelves somewhere. Muppet merchandise is fanned by current projects, but they do not have to be directly tied to them and that's their strength. There's more potential for product staying power than with Ralph.

Those are the whys, pros and cons of the product world. In essence, you must have a current project that excites retailers in advance to stock them and once stocked they must sell. The Muppets still flounder a little under this criteria. Even when their stuff sells, they were probably given low order numbers so it doesn't register enough with retailers to make a difference. This next movie has a lot riding on it. That's it in a nutshell.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ralph had a fair, I'd say bountiful amount of merchandising in Disney Stores. There were:

• 3 Different figure sets- one for each major game
  • an assortment of plush toys
  • an assortment of small scented plush toys of just the obscure little Sugar Rush characters
  • Kid's and adults T-shirts
  • Large Talking Ralph toys
  • Ralph Gloves (like Caucasian colored Hulk Hands)
  • A set of Disney Store Exclusive Funko Pops (gaining general retail release recently)
  • Sugar Rush race cars with small figures
Also a set of Thinkway's usual overpriced small action figures.

Problem is, everything but the Sugar Rush stuff sold out very quickly, and what was left (again, Sugar Rush characters who barely got a line in the film) was cleared out just after Christmas. Everytime I went to look for the figure sets, they had one in stores if I was lucky. Why wouldn't you keep those in stock instead of rushing to clear them out? If anything, they need to re-release the figure sets. Combine them to just get the main characters.

What I'm saying is, why isn't Ralph a Brand? I see certain movie brands stay in the stores for years, while Ralph didn't even have until home video. And like I said, there was a lot of stuff Disney was selling.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Ralph had a fair, I'd say bountiful amount of merchandising in Disney Stores. There were:

• 3 Different figure sets- one for each major game
  • an assortment of plush toys
  • an assortment of small scented plush toys of just the obscure little Sugar Rush characters
  • Kid's and adults T-shirts
  • Large Talking Ralph toys
  • Ralph Gloves (like Caucasian colored Hulk Hands)
  • A set of Disney Store Exclusive Funko Pops (gaining general retail release recently)
  • Sugar Rush race cars with small figures
Also a set of Thinkway's usual overpriced small action figures.

Problem is, everything but the Sugar Rush stuff sold out very quickly, and what was left (again, Sugar Rush characters who barely got a line in the film) was cleared out just after Christmas. Everytime I went to look for the figure sets, they had one in stores if I was lucky. Why wouldn't you keep those in stock instead of rushing to clear them out? If anything, they need to re-release the figure sets. Combine them to just get the main characters.

What I'm saying is, why isn't Ralph a Brand? I see certain movie brands stay in the stores for years, while Ralph didn't even have until home video. And like I said, there was a lot of stuff Disney was selling.
Once he has multiple movies, he could be a brand. Other movies have other tie-ins or are listed in the nostalgia category. Wow, I didn't know there was that much Ralph stuff. Now it just seems like complaining for the sake of it. Disney often rotates its characters in and out. Now they're preparing for the next movie push.

beaker

Reaction score
I got some sweet Ralph stuff! Loved the figures. My only complaint was: WHERE was the crossover stuff? Like it would have cost anything to make Q Bert plushes, considering how he was one of the main cameos. Then again, Roger Rabbit figure lines and toys only had the actual Roger Rabbit characters.

I definitely am not a hater. In the last FIVE years: Tron Legacy, Gravity Falls, Avengers,
Modern Family, UP, Toy Story 3, Muppets 2011, new Mickey shorts, amazing Pixar shorts. There's a lot Im wild about with Disney.(NOT SO WILD about how they completely gutted and destroyed their very soul: 2d animation)
I just find it funny how Muppet fans always get shafted merch wise. Where is this "bountiful" Muppet merch people keep saying exists in stores??? In the UK? Well yeah, British people love the Muppets and get all the cool stuff. Unless people mean tacky garbage with Animals face at adult orientated gag shops in the mall.

How come Disney parks get a ton of Muppet merch, but none of that trickles to Disney mall stores or other retail outlets? Does this make sense? The "well we are living in an ever increasing digital world" doesn't explain it. Im always at the malls, stores and theres more crap to buy than ever.

Ugh, and planes...I saw prominently featured at the Disney store war planes from Planes, and I wanted to vomit. Surprised they don't have Droney the drone. At least the Monsters University toys look super amazing(just havent bothered to see the movie)

Bottom line is Ive seen people online complain about a lack of Muppet merch when the film came out, and even a couple times heard people ask workers at Disney stores where the merch was. There is NO excuse. It's total bollocks. Like a lack of Up toys. It makes no sense.

And those Minions, I hate to say are one of the most generic looking designs. I saw half a row at TRU taken up by Despicable Me crap.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a little more info from ABC on the upcoming special... Also, be on the lookout for promos on TV starting this week.

Lady Gaga & The Muppets' Holiday Spectacular

On Thanksgiving night, (USA), NOVEMBER 28 (9:30-11:00 p.m., ET), the ABC Television Network will air the 90-minute special, "Lady Gaga & The Muppets' Holiday Spectacular." The broadcast offers an avant-garde twist on the classic holiday variety show as Lady Gaga goes backstage with The Muppets, making a performance dream come true for the multi-platinum singer songwriter when they combine forces to sing holiday favorites and Lady Gaga hits.

"I was so excited when ABC called me about doing a holiday special this year," said Lady Gaga. "I knew it just wouldn't be a complete night of laughter and memories without The Muppets! Can't wait to see the gang again and I hope Miss Piggy's still not mad about Kermit. We're just friends!"

"What an incredible opportunity!" said Kermit the Frog. "We have a long history with Ms. Gaga, so we jumped at the chance to do a holiday special with her. We won't even mind if she mistakes some of the Muppets for pieces of her wardrobe-again."

The special features Lady Gaga performing songs from her new album, ARTPOP, available Monday, November 11 on Streamline/Interscope Records. Performance highlights include a duet between Lady Gaga and Kermit the Frog, a dazzling rendition of Gaga's hit "Applause" with special Muppet guests, and performance duets with Sir Elton John, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and RuPaul. Kristen Bell appears in a special sketch alongside the Muppets and Lady Gaga. In addition, Swedish Chef, Beaker and Animal will perform special Muppet renditions of the holiday classics "Deck the Halls" and "Jingle Bells."

The program will also feature a sneak peek from the upcoming Disney movie "Muppets Most Wanted," which features Lady Gaga herself in a spectacular cameo performance. Disney's "Muppets Most Wanted" hits theaters March 21, 2014.

This is Lady Gaga's second Primetime Thanksgiving night special for ABC. "Lady Gaga & The Muppets' Holiday Spectacular" is produced by Sunset Lane Entertainment, in association with ABC's Lincoln Square Productions, with Salli Frattini as executive producer and directed by Gregg Gelfand.

http://abc.go.com/shows/movies-and-...lady-gaga-and-the-muppets-holiday-spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.