1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Speed Tracer, Dec 16, 2011.

1. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

by the way, it's daily average went up again yesterday. it seems the daily average of every movie is going up again, probably because of christmas break and all. these last few weeks of the year tend to be very lucrative for box office. arthur christmas and hugo for example are really gaining as well. so, there's every chance that it WILL make it past 80 million now, imo. if it were to somehow finish at 90 million + domestically, that is a very successful relaunch, in all honesty. esp considering the budget
  2. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

Theater counts will drop today... so it will easily plummet.
  3. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

it's average went up huge again yesterday
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It made basically what it made over the weekend over the course of this week. Not bad considering. And they're still airing ads for it, though not as many as they should. it could very well reach 80 mil by the end of the year at that... or at the very least 75 mil. Modest... not quite summer money, but still good enough.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Box office Mojo says it has passed 80 million
    DannyRWW likes this.
  6. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I'm hoping it closes passed 90 million (I think it can). I think the movie did well (and wait until the foreign returns come in. It seems like there is so much doom and gloom but I think its been great having the Muppets back (at least where everyone can see them)
  7. Drtooth

80 million domestically, or 80 million internationally? It's in a few more international markets and has been since the 8th.
  8. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

how much do you think it will take in internationally?
  9. goldenstate5

Internationally is a wild card, I won't even begin to guess it. It could explode or just do modestly.

Disney will probably let the film domestically run until it limps its way to 80 million, just so they can point to that number.
  10. Taco Monster

Taco Monster Member

Wow... The Muppets had a rough Christmas. The movie fell down to #13 in the rankings (its first individual day out of the top 10), dropping 23.2% from the previous day to $466,000. Meanwhile, pretty much every other movie in theatres saw an increase in sales from the previous day. What the heck happened? The theatre count did drop by 216 from Christmas Eve, but similar or bigger drops in the past haven't hurt the movie THAT much.
  11. goldenstate5

To be fair, those increases for every other movie was extremely pathetic. It was a rough Christmas for pretty much every release.

But yeah, the next week should earn it another 3 million to 78, and it's off to limp its way slowly to 80.
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Btw, in another post you said Winnie the Pooh under performed. I just rewatched that film, my god that "movie" is awful. Hate to say it. The voices were all wrong, the trying to be way too much like the 60's and 70's specials. To me Piglet, Tigger and Huffalump movies were divine...this one seemed like it was phoning it in.

Also having watched Letters to Santa tonight, even at only 46 minutes I love it more than the new movie. But pretty much a lot of you are correct in that it's going to soar way past $100 million easily when it hits Europe. With dvd/blu ray, it's going to do quite well since this is a movie many might be waiting for the home market.
  13. goldenstate5

Soar over 100 million in its overall gross is probably correct? A full 100 million overseas? Ehhh... I'm not sure on that.

I am fully confident that it will be a hit on DVD.

Also Letters to Santa better than the new movie?! I... we'll have to agree to disagree :D
  14. Drtooth

Yeah, TinTin opened 5th... that Dumb Chipmunks movie didn't even get what The Muppets did by the 2 week period in its two weeks... Christmas vacation will be the telling sign. 75 million domestically isn't bad. It might just barely get to 80 mil by the end of next week, it might fall a little short. Even thin, it did as good as a movie released this time of year possibly could.
  15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I was saying combined with european and dvd sales on top of north american gross it'll soar way past $100 million
  16. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

it's estimated to take in 1.2 million just for today. if that turns out right then i think it will have a very good week this week. pass 80 million by the weekend
  17. Drtooth

Across the board NO ONE is going to movies anymore. There are those who are completely too poor to be able to go to the huge expensive, crummy theaters, but then there are the technodorks that LOVE watching stuff on tiny phones because they can, or wait for the blu ray.

I doubt any of the big Winter blockbusters are even going to make budget, let alone be massive hits. The Muppets, having a relatively small budget, might be the ONLY movie in the past couple months (other than Twibilght) that actually made a modest amount of money afterwards.
  18. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

It helps too that the critics liked this. I haven't heard anything from Disney since their comments after opening weekend but seeing as how even the higher end muppet merchandise is selling I think they will count this as a success. It shows that people are interested in buy merchandise with the muppets on. I hope we see more merchandises soon as a result of this though.
  19. Drtooth

I hope so. The Muppets made as best they could in a very slow season where everyone is either buying presence or waiting to see everything on the glory of a credit card sized screen on a phone... you know, the way movies were meant to be seen :rolleyes: . At this point I'm MUCH more worried about TinTin opening a dismal 5th. I had a feeling it wouldn't hit much in the US, but I really wish it at least came in at least 4th, behind Chipmunks. On the other hand, I'm snickering at how bad We Bought a Zoo opened up. Hate that Arthur Christmas had such a bump, but hopefully it falls completely the end of the week.

Still, a modest success that made up its budget and the buzz it created are all it needs. I doubt anything released the past week will make budget. They released WAAAAAY too many movies in a single period.
  20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Yeah just bad timing for the Muppets movie, since all the articles point toward the historically abysmal box office showings for thanksgiving through new years.

On the plus side, noone could have predicted the INSANE positive reviews and word of mouth it would get...just, that didn't at all translate into much of the movie going boom we would have hoped.