The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Muppet Wikia only has domestic sales of the movies figured in their calculations. Internationally, it made just a bit more, but it was only released in Mexico and Brazil so far.

TinTin is huge in Europe... not so much here. It's by far the more popular of the Eurocomics (technically the most popular would be the Smurfs, but I get the feeling people here only know of the cartoon series and figure its an 80's thing). It is getting large buzz as a movie and it may just do quite well (It's the movie I was second most juiced to see this year). I see the comics hitting more retailers (I have to go to one comic shop for all my Eurocomic needs, though I unfortunately don't have the money to frequent it), and the DVD set of the Nelvana produced cartoon is quite easy to find. I'm sure this will be America's big introduction. I can only hope this leads to Eurocomics being much more well known in the states.

So far, I'm sure everyone thinks Marsupilami was created by the Disney Studios.
1. I wasn't going by the Wiki, I was going by Box Office Mojo - which does have international sales for at least the post-Jim movies. I just didn't include them here.

2. Spielberg and Jackson are big names, which should hopefully push the film more here. Either way, it will make a profit, since, again, its budget has been made back.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I'm definitely looking forward to watching the figures of how The Muppets does internationally- I think we're going to see a gigantic boost in the international market.

The Muppet Show used to be the most popular television show in the world!! This movie is also for the many, many fans especially in the UK and around the globe and I think the ticket sales in the international markets are going to show that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure it will explode in the UK. It may not have been #1 at the BO for 3 consecutive weeks of Summer traffic, but it made a modest 70 mil over in the US/Canda release. Anything beyond its first week was gravy anyway, it made back its budget... and it did no where near as bad as the last movie or even Elmo in Grouchland (the lowest grossing Muppet Project).

beaker

Reaction score
Im now thinking this may have done better in July or August. It feels like a summer film, it got lost in the holiday shuffle...heck even the holiday films it beat are now beating it(because of the holiday theme of course) plus the dvd woulda been out in time for holiday shopping:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
August is death. Instant death. Is there ever a successful movie that's released in August? Late July... had it not been for Smurfs, I'm sure it would have done okay... but Winnie the Pooh opened at 4th and basically disappeared the next week.

Next time I might want to see them try Summer, but it doesn't seem like it would do that much better.

robodog

Reaction score
I know it did well all things considered but I was really hoping it'd crack the hundred million mark.

zoebell

Reaction score
me too. i still think it may have a chance...these next two weeks tend to be good for the box office, so it might hang on. if you look at the dailies, it's monday gross wasn't too bad, i think it may have been an increase from some days last week actually. the holidays could push it across 80 million, which is perfectly respectable

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'm so glad it was succesful. Where I live it was supposed to end today but just today they extended it to January 5th. (Now I can see it a few more times on the big screen!:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hate how like 10 films came out in less than 3 weeks. But like I said, they're all going to be scraping and scratching at each other and I doubt any of them will quite make budget. I don't know if Disney saw such a competitive streak coming. I don't really see anyone wanting to see We Bought a Zoo... it's like the film's campaign is, "It's not as stupid as it sounds! It got the guy who did Jerry Maguire directing it!" Seriously... Matt Damon went on Jon Stewart to basically say that, and said it twice!

Smaller theaters will no doubt have dropped the Muppets for those films, but the larger cineplexes will still hang on... a couple lo0cal indie theaters... it could make a little more back during Christmas vacation.

But the film did not open at 4th or 5th and disappeared on its second week. Plenty of films are the number one at the box office opening weekend but never make their budget back.