1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"The Muppets" out on DVD and Blu-Ray in the UK on June 11, 2012

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by panmanthe2nd, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hubert Well-Known Member

See, this is the type thing I was worried about when Disney bought the Muppets. Don't get me wrong here, the Muppets have come a long, long way with Disney, but it seems to me the Muppets don't belong with a big company. They need a small company that doesn't care about losing the extra buck by giving DVD player people bonus features.

And also, did it ever occur to them that by doing this it may make some crazy fans go buy a blu-ray player, and devote the money to the blu-ray player instead of more Disney merch. Oh wait, Disney probably owns the blu-ray business.
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  2. dwmckim Well-Known Member

On the contrary - we should ALL write to Disney.

Ten years ago the Muppet fan community was outraged and actively contacted Disney (and Henson since this was before they were owned by Disney) when Disney was releasing the dvds of Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island in fullscreen rather than widescreen. That was a major hot button issue that lit a fire under Muppet fans - and that was over not getting a portion of something we've already seen (in the theatres) It strikes me as odd that there isn't as big a fire over fans being frozen out of seeing ALL of something completely new.

Speaking of writing, i've been working on a major indepth look at this topic for MuppetFreak which should ideally finally get published this week.
  3. Hubert Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Can't wait.
  4. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Wow it feels like the American release all over again. XXD
  5. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I really am not that mad about the Blu-Ray extra deal. I mean, Disney's main priority is to make money, and Blu-Ray movies are more frequently bought than DVDs now a days.:o
  6. Hubert Well-Known Member

And that's back to the same issue: should that be their main priority? I mean, I know it's important to make money to pay everyone and stuff, but can't we do the fans a favor for once?
  7. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Just know Disney is no different then any other company it's all about $$$$$$$$. :/
  8. panmanthe2nd Active Member

As far as I know, they are both the same.
  9. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

What do we mean by different anyways?
  10. panmanthe2nd Active Member

It's not that unusual for films to have small differences in different parts of the world.

For example, "The Pirates! In an Adventure With Scientists", (called "The Pirates! - Band of Misfits" in the US) had some jokes, that were removed from the US version, because they weren't 'family friendly'.

As far as I know, they didn't do this with The Muppets anywhere (although I remember something about them removing the 'Fart-shoes' bit in India).
  11. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I love how far Disney has brought the Muppets, but I wish that they were still with the Jim Henson Company. I mean, at least there they care about the fans. DVDs were what fans wanted and expected. Sadly, the Jim Henson Company is only suriving because of Sesame Street. I wish it was like it was back in the 80's. :cry:
  12. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Oh okay! I see what you mean now
  13. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

And to be honest the muppets probably would've gone to Disney anyways since Jim was in talks at the time to sell his company to them. Unfortunately he past away before any further talks were made but I think if Jim was still alive he probably would've sold them anyways so...
  14. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

To me it's more like how far Jason brought the muppets I mean he wanted to do it, Disney wasn't even initally on board from what I heard at the start. Its been only till how much money the movie has brought in that Disney is finally sitting up straight in their chairs and now the shoe is on the other food now Disney wants the next movie out ASAP.
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  15. dwmckim Well-Known Member

Actually towards the end he was starting to get a sense of buyer's remorse particularly with how Disney kept trying to go after the Sesame Muppets and seeing how the corporate philosophy of the Disney execs were in contrast with his own.
  16. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I have never read or heard about that. Like I said those talks never got very far because he past away. So I'll take back I don't know if Jim would've sold or not however I do think with him wanting a big company like Disney to handle the business side so he could do more creative things shows he was very much serious. I personally am fine with the muppets being with Disney. I mean if you wanna write to anyone write to Jim's kids their the ones that sold the muppets to Disney.
  17. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Wow, I completely forgot about Jason when posting that. He is the reason the Muppets came this far. Hmmm... now I have conflicting thoughts about Disney... :grr: