"The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" disappoints - Jim Hill

beemer

Reaction score
Ive only see a bit of muppets wizard of oz and was allready dissapionted at it as it looks so cheap and shabby.
i miss it when they used to have high buget weird sureal back grounds like in treasure island and christmas carol.
the ashanti person in wizard of oz couldnt act and was juat annoying and i dont realy want them 2 cram the movie wiff unnesesery camios of mildly famous ppl like tarintino

dwayne1115

Reaction score
you all make me sick with your remarks of what a bad movie Wizierd of Oz kermit swamp years and a very merry muppet christmass movies are.
Now some points are valied but some are just crule mean and just not what the muppets need at all. Each movie i mentionted above has its own muppty uniqness to them that only the muppets could do.
Yes i aggre that the cameos need some work i think ever since muppets from Space they needed work on the cameos. but thats just a small part of the big picture. The big picture is the Muppets have to change with the times to some extent. the writieng the muppets themselfs and there movies/tv shows.
One thing that should not change is our love for the muppets NO MATTER WHAT!!! they need the die hard fans now more then ever to stay alive. Yes i know that sometimes the muppets will and have done things i probley have not liked but i dont listen to Jim Hill ethier he has as far as i can see been out to hurt the muppets in any way shape or from he can. Just look at the latest apperence of Kermit the Frog on extrem makeover home edditon. He was the old frog we grew to know and love, it was by far the best muppet thing done i quite some time. (Not to say all the other stuff they have done was bad this was just really really good.) It had what i feel the muppets really have kind of missed on some levels and that is Heart thats the magic of the muppets it wasnt that they could tell jokes or ride bicycles it was that they really had big HEARTS. thats what they need more of more passion and more Heart put into what they are doing.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well everyone is entitled to their say.

I thought "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie was great myself. Kermit Swamp years was ok, could of been better. Muppets Wizard of Oz was perrty good. So all in all, out of these three movies, IAVMMCM is the best, in my opinion. But I'm a collector of everything Muppets, so I"ll buy all three of these DVDs.:smile:

beemer

Reaction score
why cant they make a big buget movie like before, was muppets from space such a flop?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well i think muppets from space had some problems like they had a directer that really didnt know what he was doing the story was good but i think it needed more kermit. It really did give gonzo more charictuer which was nice and it explained that long qustion what he was but he still now is a whatever. The cameos where lame to me thats the biggest problem i had with the movie plus it was at the time of swiching Frank Oz with Erick Jackabson, so there where not a lot of Franks muppets. Witch was really hard for some to take. Plus Brian Henson told i think it was Sony or the Directoer not to but the movie out in the big time summer run of movies that they do better off season, so that was a bit of a hurt for them numbers wise at the box-office. You can find out more at ign.com if i have the time ill look up that intervews of Frank and Brian henson about Muppets from Space and other things at that time going on with them and the muppets. i think it puts a lot of things into good view. heres the Brian henson interview http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/035/035899p1.html

One more inside problem Muppets From Space had was that there where two versions of the movie written. One by Kirt T Thacher who know is a Muppet Director and the other version was written by Jerry Jull RIP. The one by Thacher was the one that was used for one reason or another. this was the beggingin of Jerry Jull pulling back from his work with the muppets here is that interviw http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/interviews/juhl1.shtml
He talks about some of the problems the Muppets where haveing at the time like the lack of the Kermit and Fozzie relationship and so forth i hope all this info helps with your qustions about Muppets From Space. take your time read what these great men have to say then maybe you can kind of tell why they have been a little leary of doing another big screen movie.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Yeah, it's sad. Muppets from Space, as well as the last three made for tv Muppet movies, just didn't have that Muppet magic. In Muppets from Space, there was a total lack of realationship with Kermit and Miss. Piggy as well as Kermit and Fozzie. Kermit's Swamp Years was ,of course, all about Kermit, and I love Kermit, but this made for tv movie was, in my opinion, was the worst Muppet film of all time. I know some people are saying the Muppets Wizard of Oz, but I think MWoO beats KSY hands down.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i think a VMMCM was the best movie done since MTI cause if you think about it first they are palying themselfs that was huge even for JHC it was the frist time they had done that n a movie since Jim had passed. Second it broght back some old faces with speaking parts. Janice, Scooter, and even Rowlf had a few lines. Also they where back at the muppet theater wich i for one was glad to see cause thats really where i think the muppets home really is. the theater can just have so much going on backstage and on stage that it just the perfect place for the muppets.

I can understand how everyone can say the magic from the muppets is gone. I have done a lot of thinking about this and the thing i think will really help the muppets in every way shape and frome is they need another "Rainbow Conection". That one song has had so much meaning for the muppets over the years it kind of gave us what they where about what there Goals and dreams where. to make millions of people happy. The Lovers the Dreamers and You!!! thats what they need another dream another love and some magic from the magic store. There have been a few muppet movies/TV shows writtin by Jim Henson Jerry Juil and even Kirt T thather that may have that magic if only they where done out. I think as tribute to Jim and Jerry they should do there last work they did together. "the cheapest Muppet Movie ever Made" Frank Oz already has said that he wantted to direct it i dont see why they dont use it.

The Whatevers

Reaction score
Marky said:
I don't own Tresure Island (haven't even seen it)... I've seen and like Oz.

I you were to go out and buy only one of them which would it be? (I'm tryin' to get some Muppet fan opinions on Tresure Island!)
It's my 2nd Fav Muppet Movie.

It also has Tim Curry who does a very memorable role.

When you next see it, get it.

wiley207

Reaction score
I thought "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" was pretty cool. It was more faithful to the original novel than the 1939 movie! I also liked the dragon form the Wizard did, but I thought that lady turning into a chicken was kinda cheesy... it looked like the Wizard just performed a hologram! Plus, this was the first time I heard Eric Jacobson doing Frank Oz's characters. At first I thought they would sound pretty bad, but I was wrong! The voices were SO good, you'd think it actually WAS Frank Oz performing! The only exception was Fozzie Bear, whose voice sounded a bit high at first, kinda like Grover or Yoda.

BTW, does anyone think the inspiration for this TV movie came from the "Muppet Babies" opening sequence with the babies playing the Wizard of Oz cast? Baby Kermit was the Scarecrow, Gonzo as the Tinman, and Fozzie as the Lion, just like in the movie! Except Piggy was Dorothy, instead of the witches. To be honest, Piggy was better as the witches. When I first heard of this TV movie, that part of the "Muppet Babies" opening immediately flashed in my mind!

Misan

Reaction score
The movie was so so but can we please move on? Who cares what Jim Hill writes?