The Next Food Network Star thread!

kermiegirl

Reaction score
Hey everyone! This thread is entirely about The Next Food Network Star! If anyone likes to comment on this thread about the episodes and eliminations, feel free.

Did anyone see the premiere episode of TNFNS? If you didn't, I'll catch you up:
At the beginning of the episode, we were introduced to the 10 finalists: Aaron, Adam, Cory, Jeffrey, Jennifer, Kelsey, Kevin, Lisa, Nipa and Shane. The 3 judges - Bobby Flay, Susie Fogelson VP of Marketing on FN and Bob Tuschman Senior VP of Programming and Production - gave the finalists a champange toast and wished them good luck. Then, Alton Brown appeared from behind a blue curtain and gave the finalists their very first challenge: present your culinary point of view in front of a video camera. I felt that Kelsey's POV was the best, Lisa's was confusing and Cory blanked out, but the rest were okay.
Then, Alton broke up teams into two and told them their next challenge. Create 3 dishes - 2 individual dishes and 1 team dish - under 30 minutes and present them to the Food Network Chefs. I felt that Cory and Jeffery were the worst and Kelsey and Aaron were the best.
Then, it was time for the first elimination. The first time, Aaron, Adam, Jeffrey, Jennifer, Kelsey and Kevin were safe. The second time, Shane and Nipa were safe. Now, it all came down to Lisa and Cory. They decided to keep Lisa and send Cory home because even though Cory was a part-time stand-up comedian, she didn't seem funny at all.

Keep watching The Next Food Network Star, Sundays at 10/9 central only on the Food Network!

kermiegirl

Reaction score
I have noticed that no one is commenting on this thread. It would be nice if you would comment on your opinions on each episode and make this thread blossom. Anyway, here is this week's episode:

The episode began when chef Robert Irvine - who appears to be not yet out of his contract - enters the finalists apartment at 3 a.m. and waking them up by banging pots and pans. When all of the finalists woke up, RI told them that they were going to be divided into 3 teams of 3: the Gray Team - Adam, Aaron and Jennifer - , the Blue Team - Lisa, Nipa and Shane - and the Green Team - Jeffrey, Kelsey and Kevin. They must go to 3 places: a deli, a cheese store and a bakery and answer a question about the food - ex: if a team was at a bakery, they must answer a question about bread. If they got a question correct, they would pick the bread, cheese or meat they wish, which would be essential in the main challenge. If not, they would have to do a food prep. Whoever won the main challenge would be featured in USA Weekend magazine. When RI said their time started now, all of the finalists were in a hurry to get dressed and get out of the apartment.
When the finalists were all done, they went to a place called Whippeneene (sp?), New Jersey and sure enough, they stopped at a train station. There, RI gave them the main challenge: each team must prepare a brunch with the foods they have gotten at each place and must serve it to the selection committee - plus RI - and 30 other passengers on a moving train and they must do it in 30 minutes. Because the Gray Team arrived first, they had the advantage of going first to serve their food.
The moment they got on the train, things began to get bad for the Gray Team. Adam wanted to do poached eggs but Aaron told him that it would take too long. Jennifer made french toast, Adam made his poached eggs and at the moment I forgot what Aaron made. When the team presented the food to the selection committee and the passengers, only Adam and Jennifer appeared. Suddenly, Aaron made a bold entrance and told the crowd they were going to like his dish. When it was time to eat, the SC thought Adams eggs were raw and so did the passengers.
Then, it was the Blue Team's turn. Shane made a salad, Nipa made a lamb with spices on top and Lisa made French Toast Crostini with Honey Creme Fraiche. During their presentation, Shane talked too fast, Nipa didn't show any emotion when talking about her dish and Lisa had changed her culinary point of view, which made the SC very happy. Everyone agreed they liked Lisa's dish.
Finally, it was the Green Team's turn. Kevin made Honey Glazed Figs with Mozzerela Crostini, Kelsey made a pudding and Jeffrey made a New York Strip Steak with an Orange Bourbon Glaze. When time had run out, all of the dishes had not been done plating. When they presented their food, they told the crowd about the plating issue. When the crowd ate the food, the SC thought the strip steak was a bit too sweet.
That night, the finalists went back to the apartment. Soon, it was time for the finalists to go to the elimination room. Bobby Flay told Kevin that he didn't like the idea of bringing love into the kitchen because it didn't make sense. The SC told Adam about the raw eggs and said that he does have good ideas but ignored the realities of the situation.
When the SC looked at Nipa, they asked her if she was enthusiastic about being a Food Network Star. She seemed uncertain. The SC told her that she has a great personality, but it was not showing through. Suddenly, she left the room and the rest of the finalists were stunned. Nipa thought that being a Food Network Star was extremely stressful and felt like she didn't want to do it anymore. After a few minutes, she came back into the elimination room, apologizing to the SC and said that she was really serious about being a Food Network Star.
After that incident, the SC told the finalists who won the chance to be in USA Weekend: Lisa and Aaron. Because of this, they were safe and so was Jennifer, Kelsey, Adam, Shane and Jeffrey. Now it came down to Kevin and Nipa. They decided to get rid of Kevin, but the SC gave Nipa a warning that if she lost her temper again, she would be gone for good. Later that night, Nipa apologized to the finalists and they gave Nipa a big group hug.

Keep watching The Next Food Network Star, Sunday's at 10/9 central on Food Network!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi KG. This is actually Next Food Network Star 4. Previous winners include Guy guietti, Duff Goldman, and Amy Finley—though I'm not sure what happened to her show, The Gourmet Next Door. Don't have a clear-cut favorite this year though. Couple of things... The teams went to the bakery first, then the dairy, and finally the deli/butcher's shop. The reason you're missing Aaron's dish is because you gave it to Jeffrey instead. Aaron was the one who made the NY steak with orange burban glaze. Jeffrey made the bread pudding, Kelsey made the duck breast salad. Glad they eliminated Kevin, I wasn't getting the romantic vibe with what he was making... And who's the big special guest for the next episode?

BTW: Thanks for starting this thread... Just don't take it personally if not that many people reply.
*Hugs. :batty:

kermiegirl

Reaction score
Oops! I forgot about the Season 4 part. I'm sorry if I was forcing anybody to comment on this thread.
Guy's last name is actually Fierri, not the other way around. Technically, there were two winners in season 1: Duff Goldman and that other guy that made it seem like they were a gay couple.
I agree about the fact I don't see Amy's show on TV anymore. Maybe it was because it wasn't as exciting as the fans of season 3 might have expected.
Thanks for telling me about the order of the shops; I just didn't know which came first. Thanks also for my mix-up of the foods. I don't know why I keep forgetting who did which and if I do that again, you can remind me if you want.
I do agree about the fact Kevin got eliminated; I never liked his idea of bringing love in the kitchen because it just seems silly.
If you want to know who the special guest is for next week's episode, I can give it to you in pig Latin: arthaMay ewartStay.
Thanks for caring about this thread, Countie! :smile: :hugs back:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I just got hooked on this show last week. I watched on Sunday and thought it was really interesting to watch them make the food on the train. And I couldn't believe what Nipa did! I think she has an interesting concept so I hope she figures out how to sell herself better.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... No worries KG. Thanks for correcting me with the names... It helps, rully it does. But why would she be on this show? She's not even an FN celebrity. Hmm, must be cross-promotion between FN and Fine Living. Will keep watching, but I'm not sold on any of the remaining eight just yet. Maybe a favorite will emerge. Maybe not.

BTW: Bethy! *Glomp.

kermiegirl

Reaction score
I think MS will be on the show because she wanted to see if the finalists could sell their own food products. I can't believe she's redeemed herself after being let out of jail so many years ago.
At the moment, my favorite finalist is Kelsey because of her spunky attitude.
BTW: What's Bethy?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... That's just a nickname some of us use for Beth (redBoobergurl), was replying with excitement at seeing her here last night.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Hi Kermiegirl, I'm Beth. :smile: I've got a new job that keeps me busy so I'm not on here as often so Ed (The Count) was just expressing joy at seeing me.

I enjoy Kelsey too, I think she could have a good show, she's got a Rachael Ray/Giada DeLaurentis type quality to her.

kermiegirl

Reaction score
OH! Okay, now I get it.
It's okay if your not on as much, but is it okay if we can be buds or something? I'm kinda new here - I joined 5 months ago - and I don't have very many friends.
What kind of weather does Minnesota have for summer? Cold? Hot? In between? I heard that Minnesota a really cold place.