The Real O'Neals impressions

mr3urious

Reaction score
I have to say, I felt tonight's episode was much better this time, and had some genuinely heartfelt moments with the dad giving Shannon a "period toolkit" that contained essentials like tampons and ibuprofen that was topped off with a picture of them together, as well as Kenny having a heart-to-heart talk with mom about her being judgmental and his breakup with a boy he met at the arts & crafts shop. Stuff like this to balance out the dysfunction really makes a difference here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, I watched a Bob's Burgers rerun on Cartoon Network instead. I should give the show another chance, perhaps next week. If I didn't like watching FOTB so much, I'd start up with "The Flash." I'm not going to be all passive aggressive about this taking over the timeslot of a show they only ordered 16 episodes of, but I'm not sure if I actually dig this show or not. It's certainly no Goldbergs or Black-ish.

Plus...it was the episode where Tina becomes addicted to espressos, and Linda steals the machine to pawn to pay for a scam baseball camp. Couldn't resist.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Meh, I dropped it, the only show I watch on Tuesdays now is Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it was nice watching The Muppets followed by Brooklyn Nine-Nine like a custom one hour comedy block, but eh I didn't really like Real O' Neals, wasn't very funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That said, I loved the hypocrisy of the mother forcing the youngest son into premarital relations because it's a smaller sin than being gay.
See? And you guys wonder why I hate modern television.

It's not an exaggeration, it's the truth: every new show is automatically bad.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
See? And you guys wonder why I hate modern television.

It's not an exaggeration, it's the truth: every new show is automatically bad.
Labeling all of television based on this one mediocre cliche sitcom, there's tons of great shows out there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Then name one show, just one, where gratuitous sexual deviance isn't shoehorned into it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then name one show, just one, where gratuitous sexual deviance isn't shoehorned into it.
I'll give the O'Neals credit for something. The hypocrisy of religious types about sex. It wasn't gratuitous, nor did it even happen. It's a perfectly justifiably angry rant about these controlling religious parental figures forcing their beliefs down their kid's throats at the risk of them growing up miserable and twisted. An ultra-conservative ultra-catholic mother preferring premarital forced sex on her son (which is still pointed out as a sin) than him growing up a gay man. Which is sadly a commentary on a huge swath of people in this country. And to their credit, they're playing it off as a loving mother who just happens to have a need to be the perfect Catholic in a comedy. Write it the right way, and it's an overly dramatic Oscar Bait (or Tony Bait if its a play).

I just don't think the show has that much mileage.

That said, I'm surprised that "Not One Million Not Moms" hasn't whined about this series pushing an agenda of "not being a complete butt to gay people" yet. Then again "Barely a Hundred Turdpipes on Facebook" is Evangelical, and they hate Catholics even though they believe the same Biblical footnotes they do.