The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly don't even remember the last time I went to Blockbuster, but I can remember as a little tyke (this was before DVD), going to Blockbuster was actually quite fun: they even had a little corner of the store set up as a kids area, where they'd have kid tapes playing on a TV (SST, Hanna-Barbera cartoons, whatever) . . . I remember there was a large toy bin with an attached lid that I would often crawl inside, then pretend I was Oscar and pop out whenever another kid would walk by and say, "Scraaaam!" Then pop myself back in.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I haven't been in a Blockbuster since I was like five! I still remember the excitement I felt when we picked up a movie every weekend. Most of the time we rented a Nickelodeon movie. Sometimes, I would get excited that it was Nickelodeon VHS, but then get disappointed when we got home because I realized it was a live action movie as opposed to animated.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, GOOD BURGER and SNOWDAY were . . . well, okay, I enjoyed them, I know most people pan both of them, but they entertained me.

I actually still remember watching GOOD BURGER for the first time as a kid - I didn't laugh so hard and loud and frequently at a movie until I was a teenager and saw DODGEBALL for the first time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I honestly don't even remember the last time I went to Blockbuster, but I can remember as a little tyke (this was before DVD), going to Blockbuster was actually quite fun: they even had a little corner of the store set up as a kids area, where they'd have kid tapes playing on a TV (SST, Hanna-Barbera cartoons, whatever) . . . I remember there was a large toy bin with an attached lid that I would often crawl inside, then pretend I was Oscar and pop out whenever another kid would walk by and say, "Scraaaam!" Then pop myself back in.
Movie Gallery had the same deal.... There was one close to my house before it went out of business.

I have fond memories of renting a few Thomas the Tank Engine VHS tapes, as well as a few Goldenbooks tapes and peanuts tapes, then later on renting some ps2 games when I was 13.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Well, GOOD BURGER and SNOWDAY were . . . well, okay, I enjoyed them, I know most people pan both of them, but they entertained me.

I actually still remember watching GOOD BURGER for the first time as a kid - I didn't laugh so hard and loud and frequently at a movie until I was a teenager and saw DODGEBALL for the first time.
Good Burger was great! I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, cause we're all dudes, HEY!

Snow Day was okay. I only saw it once when I was 13 on Nick at Nite. It just bugged me that I felt like there were too many stories you had to follow.

What got me laughing the most was the running gag of Principal Weaver getting pelted with snow balls... How the kids got into his house at the end I still wonder to this day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll agree the writing for SNOWDAY wasn't particular strong (and Hal comes off as a creepy, obsessive stalker when you think about it), and giving almost every major character in the movie a subplot that were intertwined with the other plot threads was unusual for a kids movie . . . still, as a southern kid, snow days aren't common (but not unheard of) down here, so this movie seemed like quite a wonderful fantasy for me as a kid.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
*sniff* I miss Blockbuster so much. I used to go there allll the time when I was younger, and I was SO sad when the one in our town closed down. I remember I would always rent the Mario and Sonic cartoons the most. And I, too remember the kids corner. Didn't it have beanbag chairs to sit in? Anyway, good memories.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I actually didn't visit Blockbuster that much as a kid, I'll admit. The only video I remember renting anywhere was Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves at our local grocery store in about 2003. We already owned a bunch of videos at our house so I guess I wasn't that interested in renting something.

I did visit a Family Video store five years ago wondering if they had used VHS tapes, and, surprise surprise, they didn't.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And irony is VCRs just went obsolete within the last year or two.

My current one is really, really picky about certain tapes . . . it'll play really old ones (like say 15-20 years or older) just fine, but then there are certain tapes that are less then ten years old that it won't play without a lot of noise and tracking.