The second DTV Garfield Movie is revealed

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I have to admit that I did not like US Acres as much when I was little, and I wanted more Garfield. But the longer the show was on them more I started to like them! But I am hooked and a big fan of them!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I loved the character Aliwishus Pig! He was Awsome! "That's 25 dimarits!" "You can't do that! That just not right!" I loved how he always pointed out all the things that "the network" limited them from doing!
*lol* To each their own :smile:. I guess I did not get the whole 'the network controls things' part, he just seemed like my ma nagging all the time to do my homework, only in pig form (plus, I heard 'That's not right' so many times when I was in grade school with my learning disability, it was hard to link that saying with a joke)
I would not have minded as much if he did not take the spotlight off Wade and the other characters:coy:.
I used to read the US Acres comic books as a kid, but didn't seem to think it translated well to television.
I never saw them in any of the newspapers where I lived, or I'm sure I would have liked them more...
I always felt they needed more Garfield and less Friends. He he.
*lol* Me to!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
U.S. Acres (known as Orson's Farm outside the United States) is a comic strip that ran from 1986 to 1989 created by Jim Davis. The comic was launched on March 3, 1986 in a then-unprecedented 505 newspapers by United Feature Syndicate.

At the peak of the comic's popularity, there were children's books, plush animals (particularly of the characters Booker, Sheldon, and Orson), and posters of the main characters. Its animated adaptation was included in the TV show Garfield and Friends.

The final daily strip was printed on April 15, 1989, while the final Sunday, and the strip itself, appeared on May 7, 1989. The strip's cancellation did not affect its animated counterpart, though, which remained a part of Garfield and Friends in its seven-year run until 1994.

Bill Watterson, the artist who drew the popular strip Calvin and Hobbes called U.S. Acres "an abomination" and "an insult to the intelligence".

From the Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Acres

Wow. I didn't know Bill Watterson was such a difficult sort of artist. I liked the US Acres books. Not as much as Garfield, of course.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I guess my towns newspaper was not one of those, of course we have never had much out here in the middle of nowhere California...
I have a couple of the collection books now:smile:. I bought them from amazon, but they seem hard to find...
Wow. I didn't know Bill Watterson was such a difficult sort of artist. I liked the US Acres books. Not as much as Garfield, of course.
Oh he was..is, he is still around :smile:. He's always been very outspoken..it fits the style of his characters very well IMHO -.- If he wasn't he might still be doing C&H (yay! :big_grin:) but then, the comic would not have been the same...
Watterson was vocally critical of Jim Davis' decision to license his strip Garfield to so many different things, saying that it "cheapened" the originality of the strip.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh he was..is, he is still around :smile:. He's always been very outspoken..it fits the style of his characters very well IMHO -.- If he wasn't he might still be doing C&H (yay! :big_grin:) but then, the comic would not have been the same...
He's someone like John K . Someone whos work I love, but they're completely snobby and disagreeable when it comes to people outside themselves.

But enough of that.

I really liked how US Acres didn't upstage the Garfield cartoons. In the DIC Heathcliff series (I have never seen the Ruby Spears ones), I felt the Catillac Cats where the best part of the show. US Acres wasn't my favorite, but I really liked the segments. Though, Wade and Roy arguably had the best parts. And they were better later down the line, especially the ones with Alluisious Pig.

Personally, if the show returns, I want to see the same self awareness type humor. You know, where the characters are painfully aware they are cartoons. I especially love how the characters would complain about how they didn't have enough lines, or weren't on the show often. Floyd the mouse was notorious for this, even griping that the Ants got call backs.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ha! I love Floyd! Yeah, I felt Like the DIC series Cat's and company just didn't have the exact same feel as the original Heathcliff. It was off having the character Heathcliff leading the Cadillac Cats and then having Riff Raff do in the next Cartoon. I'm a bit confused myself.

I would agree with Bill Watterson's point of view about Garfield, and he is right as over licensing usually ruins the quality of something. But Garfield always has such quality merchandise, so I can not complain. That are top north and almost no one comes ever close! Jim Davis is just as difficult about the quality of his merchandising as Bill is an artist!

Redsonga

Reaction score
One of my earliest memories is washing the stripes off my stuffed Garfield with only soap and water:coy:..So they may be mostly good, but the dye not so much:excited: *lol*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ha! I love Floyd! Yeah, I felt Like the DIC series Cat's and company just didn't have the exact same feel as the original Heathcliff. It was off having the character Heathcliff leading the Cadillac Cats and then having Riff Raff do in the next Cartoon. I'm a bit confused myself.
I always wanted to see how the Ruby/Spears Heathcliff was different. I only saw the Heathcliff and Marmaduke themsong (sung by the great Scatman Crothers). The Heathcliff cartoons were good, but the Cattillac Cats were better. you can almost tell Mel Blanc didn't want to be there. It didn't sound like he had too much fun doing it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
On the subject of Alluisious. My mom is forever saying "That's not right!"

Anyway, I've seen the Heathcliff and Marmaduke series before, but I am familiar with the other one. I remember the great debate over who was the number one cat. I feel for Mel Blanc because you just can't go back to that kind of quality he did.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's funny seeing all the different spellings of his name (Aliwishus is the spelling I've seen most often)..it is my mom's least favorite name, and also the name of a famous teddy bear...I have half a mind to use the name if I ever have a son, if I didn't know he would be teased for it *lol*

I wonder is the 2nd movie going to have the same world setting where being in a comic is just a job? :\