The Smurf's Triumphant return!

Drtooth

Reaction score
*Sits and waits for more DVDs of the 80's series*
Cobwebs are gonna grow on you, you know! They have no intention of releasing any more season sets... there's a lame 10 episode Cartoon Catchphrase collection coming... and judging by what happened with the ALLLLVIIIIINNNN collection, they could just as easily be 10 halfs of an episode.

I'M waiting for Smurfs and the Magic Flute. That's the closest we'll ever get to an animated version of the REAL Smurfs.

The comics, however, just keep coming. Man, I wish I had money to grab them all.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I'M waiting for Smurfs and the Magic Flute. That's the closest we'll ever get to an animated version of the REAL Smurfs.
I actually picked this up on VHS a while back- do you think this movie is closer to Peyo's comics more so than the cartoon series then?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I have some of the comics but I still like the 80's series better :X

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually picked this up on VHS a while back- do you think this movie is closer to Peyo's comics more so than the cartoon series then?
Well, it was made directly after the comics... I didn't pick the Magic Flute comic up yet, but I flipped through it and I noticed the sequence where Peewit was trying to talk like a Smurf was turned into a Music number

It really seems with the 80's series, even though they took the plots and stories from some of the comics at first, they went off in their own direction. Ironically, the 80's series is closer to the comic books than the 80's version of TMNT, which threw almost everything out the window to do it differently. But still, there's an air of 1980's artificial sweetness that covered up the great Belgian comic humor... again, the Smurfs actually BEAT up on each other. Especially Brainy. The ending of the Black/Purple Smurf comic is different in that aspect, because the weary Smurfs get furious with Jokey's attempt to prank them by pretending to be a purple Smurf. they just beat the tar out of him... comedically of course.

Also, there's a LOT less "get allongy" feel... they are very disorganized and it usually takes Papa Smurf to get the troups back in line. Not that they didn't do it in the comics, but it's to a much further extent.

That said... freaking movie's coming out... WB could at LEAST start releasing stuff in season sets again. Literally NO ONE was buying the 10 dollar volumes.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay- thanks for the breakdown on that.
And yeah- I'm thinking Warner Bros. will be doing some more Smurfs releases soon- there is supposed to be a new DVD set of episodes coming soon....

Redsonga

Reaction score
I dunno, I guess if you don't like 80's sweetness it could be seen as artificial but keep in mind their are plenty of us that like it just fine for what it is. Which really came first doesn't change my pov :smile:.
All the fighting a such, I dunno, it wasn't that funny to me. Fighting can be funny, but the comics version, it rang hollow to me...If the 80's series gets artificial sweetness, then the comic to me gets artificial slapstick (and slapstick is normally my thing). And then ..I never was a fan of the castle humans in any version :stick_out_tongue:
Forget fighting or no fighting, I would just like it if the movie got the setting right -.-
Literally NO ONE was buying the 10 dollar volumes.
We were. At least I would hope so :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno, I guess if you don't like 80's sweetness it could be seen as artificial but keep in mind their are plenty of us that like it just fine for what it is. Which really came first doesn't change my pov :smile:.
All the fighting a such, I dunno, it wasn't that funny to me. Fighting can be funny, but the comics version, it rang hollow to me...If the 80's series gets artificial sweetness, then the comic to me gets artificial slapstick (and slapstick is normally my thing). And then ..I never was a fan of the castle humans in any version :stick_out_tongue:
Forget fighting or no fighting, I would just like it if the movie got the setting right -.-
It's all comedic slapstick "Why I Oughtta....." stuff. Again, akin to (and possibly inspiration for) Asterix, and how Cacophinix gets punched out and hog tied for even threatening to sing. As much as I like the old cartoon, it did kinda hurt the legacy of the comics (which we, again, JUST got) in the US. Remember, they may be an 80's throwback to us, but they're every part of the historic pop culture Superman and Spider-Man are over here to Europe.

As for the volumes... really.. 4 episodes for 10 bucks? That's a slap in the face to collectors. There's one 10 episode movie tie in, but other than that, I don't believe we'd see any more.

Redsonga

Reaction score
But...we're not Europe :\. I don't think we have to like it for the same reason they do to be seen as 'true' fans. I think it is sort of good that we each like them for different reasons. The comic might be were is started but the cartoon..it just means more to me in how I am a fan of the Smurfs...
Just like, I read the comics from Disney dating back a long way, but Ducktales means more to me all and all...

Still, I'd rather buy those DVD sets as they are than not buy them out of protest and have the company think there is *no* market -.- I did it with many different series and they all got bigger sets later on... Support is support :3

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not so much boycotting them as I find it difficult to believe that a 10 dollar single disk with 4-5 episodes on it will sell better than a 20 dollar set with 12-13 or more on it. If they can get away with half seasons of Batman Brave and the Bold for 15 bucks, they can sure as heck do the same for the Smurfs. It's a great pet peeve of mine. It's 2011, the DVD is nearing the end of it's relevance, and they're treating DVD releases like it's 1999, and we should be thankful to see expensive releases akin to VHS. Remember when we had to pay 20 bucks for 2 episodes? That's blasphemy now.

And really, people WERE buying the in order sets... it's more cost effective to the consumer to release sets.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Smurf Villiage Appearance

The new Smurf Village can be seen in this new trailer for "The Smurfs". I'm still not sold on the idea of what they did to the Smurfs, but this trailer does have some moments that access my childhood recollection of the characters. Plus NPH is in it. :wink: Anyway, thoughts?