The Storyteller on DVD

doctort13

Reaction score
WHY?

Can this mean that there will be a Region 1 DVD release by 2064?:frown:

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by doctort13
Can this mean that there will be a Region 1 DVD release by 2064?
I emailed Henson and they replied stating that there were no plans for any future releases of Storyteller on DVD at all.

Bored

Reaction score
Hate to say this, but The Henson company has been saying that for Decades. :/ From what I've read in one of the Jim Henson books (I think it was "No Strings Attached") The Series hit it big in Continental Europe, the UK and Australia, but fizzled in the US. If what I remember is correct (I might be wrong) the "Greek Myth" versions were an attempt to gain the interest of the US markets but like before, it fizzled. My belief is since Henson.com pretty much sends out a "Form email" to the question about if the Storyteller series would ever make it to DVD, and that it HAS been released on DVD in both the Netherlands AND Germany (friend of mine pointed it out to me on a site once) that the Henson Company has decided to market the series on DVD to what they feel are markets that have shown a great deal of interest ($$$$$) in the past.

It seems that unless The Henson Company finally realizes that people in the US still CRAVE the series and hop on the DVD bandwagon, we (the fans of the series) are not gonna get any results. This is the main problem these days - VHS lasts only so many years before it starts to decay. If any of you have tried renting a Henson movie from a video store and have met with really BAD audio/video problems, you know what I mean. With age and use, the tape becomes pretty much worthless in the way of quality after X-number of years. Last I checked, there are DVDs out there that advertise themselves as having a life of "100 years". All I'm saying is that, if any of you want to share the magic of Jim Henson with your kids, grand-kids, GREAT grand-kids, The Henson Company had better put the series out on DVD.

Well, that's my 2 cents :big_grin:

GuySmiley

Reaction score
Just ordered these myself! Took me absolutely ages - had to use the WorldLingo.com translator for just about every word, but I think I did it OK. Almost sent them to Estonia though!

Came to about GBP35 for the three DVDs and postage.

Looking forward to receiving these - I have never seen the StoryTeller at all!!

Guy!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Bored,

Could you show me a link to the German releases please ?

Guy,
You will love them, I have them all and they are great !

They were on BBC2 last year you know !

see ya

scarecroe

Reaction score
Bored,

The implications of that email are meant to say that they weren't publicly announcing R1 DVDs at that time. You'll find that Henson is a little more friendly than your average media company and if there were an inkling of a chance that such a product was being considered, they'd not have been so firm on denouncing the notion.

LOL, and that was over a half a year ago anyway. The answer could be different today... but I doubt it.

As for Storyteller not doing well with US viewers, that would be because US viewers don't know a good thing when they've got one. Greek Myths failing to gain US interest, is a direct result of the fact that it just wasn't very good.

GuySmiley

Reaction score
Hey Warrick,

I didn't know that Storyteller had been on BBC2 last year! Now, how did I manage to miss that!

Guy!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guy,

Yeah, it was on in the 'learning' times, About 10-11.

See ya