The VHS Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow, when one of our video rentals closed they were just giving them away, lol.
If they were just giving away (in cases) 25-30 year old VHS, I'd've brought a wheel barrow. Then, I'd be a huge hypocrite and sell them on Amazon for just as much as they would have sold them for.

But a lot of that stuff was really old stuff that would never see a DVD release ever. Especially the Little Lulu... though there were things, like Heathcliff, that were on DVD and easy to find online... those went for more than the volume one and only of Heathcliff... am I glad Mill Creek has that license now, lemme tell you... Some of the more recent, 90's stuff went for like 5 bucks (almost got a Groovy Goolies, but bought the DVD set of all the episodes used for like a buck more)...

The best was when a Japanese Grocer had to close down (though I miss the place dearly... got some nice Gundam candy figures there), the guy let me take as many videos as I could carry out for like 5 bucks. Too bad I wasn't in town the day he closed up for good, he probably would have just given the rest of them to me for free... but then again, I cleaned the store out of Doraemon, and all they had were dramas and game shows...I think there were a couple Anpanmans I couldn't carry home from there...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There is a used video/DVD/music/video game store in town, and it seems they have collectors in mind for certain things. Like some of the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs costing almost 80 dollars (they didn't even cost that much used), and that store sold a used copy of the infamous Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES game for over 100 dollars (and fans tend to hate that one... Though I wonder if the Angry Video Game Nerd's review had anything to do with it's value).

Then again, at that used video store I don't ever recall purchasing anything that only cost a few dollars. A lot of things there seem to cost close to ten dollars.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
), and that store sold a used copy of the infamous Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES game for over 100 dollars (and fans tend to hate that one... Though I wonder if the Angry Video Game Nerd's review had anything to do with it's value).
Rarity also plays a part. If the game sold poorly do it being rather sucky, there are less of them in existance, therefore, collectors are willing to pay more. Of course, thats not to say AVGN didn't help with it

Anyway, I am always amazed as what I find in the crap my mom gets for free. She recently got a bag of vhs tapes, mostly religious, and I managed to find Hey Cinderella (still haven't actually watched it), the Sandlot, Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue, Land Before Time 4, and the Pebble and the Penguin.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rarity also plays a part. If the game sold poorly do it being rather sucky, there are less of them in existance, therefore, collectors are willing to pay more. Of course, thats not to say AVGN didn't help with it
I recall hearing that game sold well because they were at the very start of their popularity. I know I got suckered into buying it. I'm sure collectors would buy the cartridge just to say they have it, but it's just more likely when it comes to something that out of print, someone's just going to get the emulation ROM...

and if you save state a million times and put in every Game Genie code they make for it, it's almost a fun game.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I like how you say "almost" XD

Never played it myself. I probably should. OFF TO DOWNLOAD!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like how you say "almost" XD
If you can get past the horrible to control water level, pass the third level that requires you to jump over sewer water passages with the horrible jumping control, manage to get through the maze at the airport, you'll still freakin' die at the gauntlet before Shredder without EVERY Game Genie code there is.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recall hearing that game sold well because they were at the very start of their popularity.
I read on wikipedia that the game sold over 4 million copies. There is a list on wikipedia that lists best-selling games from each system, based on a certain number of sold/produced cartridges, and none of the other TMNT NES games are listed, and wikipedia doesn't list how well the other games sold (I would have expected them to do better... Did some fans actually resist due to the first game?). But then again, it is Wikipedia where I got this info...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but you gotta figure... the "fans" at that point were like 7-10 year old boys who'd buy anything with the TMNT on it at the time. I'm not sure if 4 million is impressive or not... I don't know what the average sales number was back then... but at least they didn't have to dig a mass grave for the unsold carts, like Atari had to do with E.T. and some other games near the end of the Atari's popularity.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, but you gotta figure... the "fans" at that point were like 7-10 year old boys who'd buy anything with the TMNT on it at the time.
Yeah, and by that logic I'd think the average fans would continue buying future TMNT games even after the first wasn't very good.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Gamers are quick to abandon a franchise if they don't like something