The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So apparently Goody's is back in business . . . again . . . and man, I have so many unpleasant memories associated with that place, because when I was a kid, shopping at Goody's meant only one thing: the annual back-to-school clothes shopping. I hated it. Such a drag! I hated having to go through clothes, pick stuff out, try them all on, blah-blah-blah . . . and my mom hated because she always said I was hard to buy clothes for. And to compound things even further, she would always bring my nana shopping with us, and I have no idea why, because she was never any help, and she always picked up awful clothes anyway.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
So apparently Goody's is back in business . . . again . . . and man, I have so many unpleasant memories associated with that place, because when I was a kid, shopping at Goody's meant only one thing: the annual back-to-school clothes shopping. I hated it. Such a drag! I hated having to go through clothes, pick stuff out, try them all on, blah-blah-blah . . . and my mom hated because she always said I was hard to buy clothes for. And to compound things even further, she would always bring my nana shopping with us, and I have no idea why, because she was never any help, and she always picked up awful clothes anyway.
Up here, Goody's meant Sam Goody's, which sold records, tapes, CD's until they closed in the 90's. Great selection, cheap prices, they had tv and radio ads, "Goody's Got It!"
But I hated clothes shopping as much as you did, especially in grade school. In the 70's, most everything was polyester, and coyote ugly!
Only way to make it worse, tagging along while they're buying clothes for your sister!
My sister was the clothes horse, I was not.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We used to have a Sam Goody's in one of our malls - it was my go-to stop for new DVD releases, since retail stores like Walmart and what have you were (and in some cases, still are) always months behind in new releases hitting the shelves. They too went out of business, so I started going to Best Buy instead, because the only other alternative was fye, and they always jack their prices up: what may usually have been $29 in other stores would be $43 at fye.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
i bought a bootleg sex pistols cd at fye once

the fact i found a bootleg cd being sold as new with actual sex pistols cds was...definitely something. it's some weird unofficial amalgamation of various live recordings smushed together to form a 'concert'. absolutely garbage quality but its an interesting thing to have for novelty sake

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I always found it intruiging how only the season premiere (along with the season 5 one? If I'm not mistaken) was the only season 6 episode on Unpaved.
Noggin aired all the season 1-20 premieres except for season 16. I guess it was important to air most of the season premieres, though the average casual fan wouldn't instantly know it was the season premiere (they'd be more likely now in an age of Muppet Wiki). Some seasons were only represented with one episode, obviously the season premiere. Season 10 was one of those season, and season 11 started out that way before they added the two episodes with C-3PO and R2D2.

And it seems we now know the full rundowns of all three episodes from season 11, including what Noggin cut, since those two with C-3PO and R2D2 were actually broadcast uncut when they first aired on Noggin. Of course that's assuming nothing from episode 1316 was cut from both Noggin and Old School Volume 3.

It would have been great if Noggin started each episode with some special info about each episode, like what Nick at Nite often did for its programming, where they'd include an episode number and title in addition to the announcer providing some fact, I can't remember if they provided any other info like air dates. Though I feel Nick at Nite did not do that for Happy Days or Newhart, yet did for The Wonder Years and the color episodes of Bewitched which were added later. But if Noggin did that for at least Sesame Workshop's classic programming, they could have included info like episode numbers, air dates, info on the plot or one of the sketches, maybe note if it's a season premiere, note guest stars or some fact. Though that might have meant editing out a few more seconds of each show (or maybe put the fact in the special Sesame Street Unpaved opening... which also took up some time that could have been better spent with less edits).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
i bought a bootleg sex pistols cd at fye once

the fact i found a bootleg cd being sold as new with actual sex pistols cds was...definitely something. it's some weird unofficial amalgamation of various live recordings smushed together to form a 'concert'. absolutely garbage quality but its an interesting thing to have for novelty sake
Fye started out as the opposite of Sam Goody's. Goody's had lower prices, so their profit margin was smaller, but they survived through sheer volume.
Fye started out with higher prices, but became more competitive when they became less strict with their return policies.
You started seeing used CD's and DVD's offered at a discount (red sticker) which a smart shopper could really clean up on.
Too bad neither chain is still around.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure fye is still in the mall. I'm pretty sure. Not sure, I haven't been to the mall in a long time because the malls are pretty much turning into ghost towns now thanks to Amazon and other online retailers.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
fye is still around but its not as common as it once was. most stores that sell cds seem to be dropping off the face of the earth because no one wants cds anymore. one used cd store near me closed and the other one sold all their stock and became a guitar store. shame really because i would go like every week to both of them and usually came back with something of interest

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I still remember when Suncoast was a thing.

I rented so many tapes there....