Thoughts on Kami

spiderman

Reaction score
i'm glad you liked my movie

i hope you had as much fun watching the movie as i had making it. it was tons of fun, and that kirsten dunst is one hot chick, and she's all natural!!!!

watch out for the next installment of my life due out in summer 2004

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Spidey,

Not all of them got Aids because they wanted to have Sex...

and not all from drugs...

See ya

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Spiderman

At the moment I think you are a person who likes to inflame people. I'm sure you are a nice guy, but you are coming off rather strong. You may consider settling in and start meeting other members before making such bold statements.

The character of Kami will not have parents (keeping the Sesame tradition) and I believe she contacted the virus at birth. That is the scope of the character - nothing more. It's for kids. But it is needed in a country where the disease is so rampant. That’s it, nothing more.

spiderman

Reaction score
I KNOW NOT ALL OF THEM

get it from sex/drugs but MOST of them do. of course the muppet character jsut got it from birth, i just think they should explore the whole issue and not just water it down for kids.

and yes, i do like to see a certain reaction when i post. most of these subjects are just kinda boring..lets make it interesting

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Being interesting is fine, but offensive behavior will not be tolerated on the board. This is a place for people who love the work of Jim Henson.

radionate

Reaction score
Mr. "Spiderman",

While I'm proud to see that just about anyone can now get into college, I'm very disappointed that someone of your upstanding social skills would try and tackle a research paper of such great depth.

Be aware there are people from all walks of life and all corners of the world here. From "normal everyday Joes" to folks with disabilities, there is one thing we all have in common, our common respect for others.

Please don't try to stir up trouble because you find posts "boring". Delve deeper into the forum, and find topics that interest you. You might be surprised in the responses you'll receive from people.

The internet is an interesting place. Don't perpetuate the stereotype of people hiding behind the shadows of the web to post inane items just because nobody knows who they are or where they are from. Being banned from MC has happened in the past and most unfortunately will happen again I'm sure.

spiderman

Reaction score
gimme a break

i'm not trying to be offensive or anything else. like i said, i'm writing a paper on this issue, and it brings up a very interesting point of what we should and should not subject our children to. i'm just trying to cover all aspects of what people think, and this forum has helped me to see other points of views. i'm sure everybody can tell what i think, which is why i wanted to see what all you guys thought.

it's been interesting to see what people think, so please keep your responses coming

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What the FOZ be thinkin'...

I think this thread is becoming over-heated and folks shouldn't push opinions around too harshly. Keep in mind, it's only opinions. Very few opinions are worth worrying this much over.

Here's what I'm thinking, though. It's a kids' show. Of COURSE you should water it down for kids, but at the same time you can still give the proper information in a watered-down course. You can't be all "tell-all" with kids who won't understand what you're saying most of the time anyhow. I don't think we have to delve deeper into Kami's parent's lives...her story is about HER, and it's not so much a lesson on living with having been born-with HIV, it's about living with HIV and taking care of one's self (I'm sure), so I think the other option is completely out of the question.

I mean, if you think it should be delved into deeper, you should discuss how it could be done on a level that children could understand that would not be offensive to their parents and be educational.

The current course they're sailing seems to be what will work best to me.

FOZ

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I think it is dangerous to make assumptions about an entire continent. Africa is the largest continent and is made up of many diverse cultures.

The AIDS epidemic is a huge problem for many African nations. Before making judgements about the character and behaviors of Africans with AIDS, you might want to do some research into the spread of AIDS in Africa and the availablity of medical care and condoms.

Kids are dying. Kids are dying after their grandparents and parents have died of AIDS. Can you imagine what that must be like-- watching your entire family, all the adults who care about you, die of this horrible disease and then having to go throw it yourself, alone, while just a little kid?

In South Africa there is a growing belief that HIV is not connected to AIDS. So people who are HIV+ and trying to come to terms with what the future holds for them, also have to deal with others denying what that future is. The drugs that prolong life and improve the quality of life for people with AIDS and HIV are not as readily available in South Africa as they are in the US. Last figures I saw said 1 in 9 children in South Africa are HIV+. That's kids born with this disease.

If Takalani Sesame can help 1 in 9 South African children come to terms with their life or can help educate even a handful of other kids-- help them see the person and not just the disease, help them learn they can safely be friends with people with HIV-- well, I think that's great! I wish more organizations were willing to take on the wrath of a few Congressional leaders (among others) to try and make a difference in the world.

Kami is a child. She is a child who was born with HIV. Her mother died of AIDS. She lives with a foster mother and is making friends with other Muppets. She is living life with a positive attitude. Her job is to show people they do not have to fear people with HIV and kids with HIV can still have full, productive lives. This is a show for young children. It is not a medical show. South Africans are all too aware of the reality of what dying of AIDS is. Kami is about compassion and understanding and acceptance. She is about life, not death.

spiderman

Reaction score
SOMEONE HAND ME A KLEENEX

that was so touching, it made me cry. you deserve some kind of humanitarium award.

gimme a break, i think people really need to be honest and realize how most of the AIDS virus is spread. some people (kids) are born with it, but you people can't accept the fact that most people bring it on themselves because they are stupid and are not careful.

yeah, i feel really bad about the kids, it's not their faults their parents were dumb. i wish we could help the kids.

everybody is getting a little too touchy. i think everybody needs to realize that this isn't Hardball with chris matthews, but a muppet message board

peace out