Tim Burton Fans

jvcarroll

Reaction score
While Tim Burton is a visionary, much of the vision attributed to Nightmare Before Christmas actually belongs to Coraline's Henry Selick. Does anybody remember those stop motion MTV interstitials? That was Henry Selick.

I'm glad to see Burton going back to his roots with Frankenweenie and don't forget that Selick's ParaNorman comes out two months before that. This is a good year for animation!

Mandy The Bunny

Reaction score
While Tim Burton is a visionary, much of the vision attributed to Nightmare Before Christmas actually belongs to Coraline's Henry Selick. Does anybody remember those stop motion MTV interstitials? That was Henry Selick.

I'm glad to see Burton going back to his roots with Frankenweenie and don't forget that Selick's ParaNorman comes out two months before that. This is a good year for animation!
YESH I TOTALLY AGREE! :big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW: Is there truth to the tidbit I once read that when the Beldam cracked eggs when making breakfast for Coraline, the yolks sort of formed the image of Jack Skellington?
*Loves the expanded Selick/Burton animated worlds.

Mandy The Bunny

Reaction score
Speaking of Burton, I have the circles around my eyes like one of his characters and no it's not make up. LOL

Hayley B

Reaction score
Really hope Beetlejuice 2 lives up to the hype when they finally start working on it.
I hope so too. One of my other forum chats brought this up a while back. I'm excited that Michael Keaton is going to play him again. But I felt that he's too old now. One poster said "He's not old'. Well, in makeup no. But physically. I can't see him jumping around like he use too.

Mandy The Bunny

Reaction score
I have one complaint about the animated BJ series. They should've kept Lydia as a teenager and not a kid. Other then that, I love the series.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I can't think of anything that I found wrong about the BJ cartoon. Just that Claire was such an easy villain.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I think Henry Selick is a much better stop motion director. I used to like Tim Burton but lately...

ParaNorman is not directed by Selick. Chris Butler and Sam Fell are directing it. I don't think Selick has anything to do with the movie. It might be the same animators, and its the same studio, Laika, who apparently also did work on Corpse Bride

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think Henry Selick is a much better stop motion director. I used to like Tim Burton but lately...

ParaNorman is not directed by Selick. Chris Butler and Sam Fell are directing it. I don't think Selick has anything to do with the movie. It might be the same animators, and its the same studio, Laika, who apparently also did work on Corpse Bride
I totally thought that was Selick, but you're right. :wisdom: It's the same Coraline company. I guess thats what confused me. I think Disney's snatched Selick up for all of his future endeavors so I'm sure he's up to something good over there. Coraline was so lush and beautiful and interesting and morbid while being something completely apart from Burton. I love that. Neil Gaiman's material is really hit-or-miss with me, but his book and the film were very much "hit!" :smile:

Tim Burton seems to have lost his way since his telling of Planet of the Apes. His tale was interesting, but once again his style eclipsed a much richer substance. He did the same thing with Batman, but for some reason it worked there even though he discarded so many key elements. I still find him rather ungracious for not having anything nice to say about Nolan's work on the franchise. Not only did Nolan reinvent a character securely locked in the minds of the public, he took great creative care to respect the roots of that character. Tim Burton, on the other hand, is on record mocking those who read comic books and saying that he read very little for his work on Batman. (shivers) :batty:

Burton's return to Frankenweenie and Beetlejuice give me hope that he's on the right track again. I was sorely disappointed in his Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure what to think about Dark Shadows, but the ads seem fun. And of course there's the animated Addams Family reboot he's working on. Not sure if he's actually directing that, but everyone will think he did either way. :coy: