Tim Burton Fans

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Also off-topic, but since it was brought up earlier in here...

Just read that Disney has bought the rights to another Neil Gaiman literary work titled The Graveyard Book and will develop into a stop-motion animated film directed by Henry Selick of Nightmare/Coraline fame.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Also off-topic, but since it was brought up earlier in here...

Just read that Disney has bought the rights to another Neil Gaiman literary work titled The Graveyard Book and will develop into a stop-motion animated film directed by Henry Selick of Nightmare/Coraline fame.
Oh! Oh! OH!!!!!

*swoon*

I collect Gaiman first editions. Loved the quiet weirdness of that one and have been impatiently awaiting a sequel, as the book's ending obviously implies. Selick on that one?? Woo HOOO!

Burton: loved the eye candy in "Sleepy Hollow", loved the outright insanity of "Batman." "Nightmare Before Xmas", while wonderful, was a bit of a letdown for me, especially when I learned that some of the visuals (such as leaves coming out of the patchwork girl's torn arm) were waaayy toned down to please Disney. It could have been (and ought to have been) much, much, MUCH darker. But yeah...love Burton...especially anything Burton/Depp/Elfman! I can't imagine a proper Burton film without Elfman's music. Catchy yet ethereal. Great stuff.

THANKYOU for the heads up, Ed!
------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I like Tim Burton mainly when he has original ideas. When he remakes other people's work I'm often disappointed. The only exception being his Batman films. I'll take them over Dark Knight any day, hehe.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Regarding Nightamare Before Christmas. It is techinally a Burton movie since he produced it, but it is his since he did write the pom on which it is based. It's the same things as when you say Dr. Suess' Horton Hears a Who. That being said I love that movie, as well as Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands, and Beetlejuice. (And Charlie and the Choclate Factor and Mars Attacks and Alicein Wonderland I like just not as much.)

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Oh! Oh! OH!!!!!

*swoon*

I collect Gaiman first editions. Loved the quiet weirdness of that one and have been impatiently awaiting a sequel, as the book's ending obviously implies. Selick on that one?? Woo HOOO!

Burton: loved the eye candy in "Sleepy Hollow", loved the outright insanity of "Batman." "Nightmare Before Xmas", while wonderful, was a bit of a letdown for me, especially when I learned that some of the visuals (such as leaves coming out of the patchwork girl's torn arm) were waaayy toned down to please Disney. It could have been (and ought to have been) much, much, MUCH darker. But yeah...love Burton...especially anything Burton/Depp/Elfman! I can't imagine a proper Burton film without Elfman's music. Catchy yet ethereal. Great stuff.

THANKYOU for the heads up, Ed!
------------------
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disney do NOT interfere with this awesome story! Let Selick do it all himself!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like Tim Burton mainly when he has original ideas. When he remakes other people's work I'm often disappointed. The only exception being his Batman films. I'll take them over Dark Knight any day, hehe.
The first two movies that were his doing had a style to them, and we probably wouldn't have had everyone's favorite Batman adaption, Batman TAS, if it wasn't for those films.

But the second two that weren't under his control were putrid. Forever was alright, though I hate how Two-Face was basically just doing warmed over Joker schtick instead of actually being Two-Face. But saying the next film was a franchise killing disaster that Batman almost never walked out of isn't even an understatement. The DVD commentary is reportedly Joel Schumaker apologizing for the whole 90 minutes. The Chris Nolan movies didn't just rescue the franchise, it made it WB's biggest selling point. In the span of the three movies, we've got just as many Batman cartoons (counting the upcoming Beware the Batman). Considering that they've failed at Rebooting Superman once (we won't know about the next one until next year), had iffy footing on the overbudgeted Green Lantern, and are absolutely fumble thumbs over trying to get Wonder Woman her own project (not to mention whatever the heck Jonah Hex was for), they haven't just been lucky with the Chris Nolan Batman films. They're basically the only thing they have that's remotely quality as a film franchise.

Marvel, BTW, just keeps licensing out characters to make movies, and the law of averages states that they have more lousy films than good ones... but they have at least 2 or 3 a year since the first Spider-Man. And they've rebooted Hulk twice, with a third on the way.

But I do like Tim Burton's two Batman films. But if you heard what his plans were for Superman, you're hair would stand up on end. But he's more of a dark film expert anyway. That works better for Batman than Superman.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Did anyone here see Dark Shadows? If you did, what did you think of it?

My mom so much wants to see it. But she hasn't been liking the commercials too much. It seems more like a comedy. When the old show was like a soap opera.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yeah, my mom wants to see it too. Quite honestly, I may be interested if it wasn't another gosh darn Johnny Depp movie