Time Warner offers $3 billion for MGM

The Storyteller

Reaction score
MGM(Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios inc, United Artist Corp., and Orion Pictures) is offically a member of SONY's Electronic/Media family! Also COMCAST is working on a deal to start a Pay-Per-View/On-Demand service, and Cable Channels with SONY-MGM.

Sony Media Properties:
Columbia Pictures
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment
SONY Pictures Television
GSN(fomerly Game Show Network)
Sony-BMG Music
Sony Digital Entertainment(Makes Special Effects for Movies)
Screen Gems
Sony Pictures Classics
Sony PlayStation Entertainment

MGM Media Properties:
MGM Pictures
United Artist Pictures
Orion Pictures(Home Entertainment/Video Only!)
Polgram Filmed Entertainment(Home Entertainment/Video Only!)
MGM Music(Music relesed by Warner Music Group)
MGM Interactive(Games made by Electranic Arts)
MGM Networks
MGM Networks International

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/13/b...n=64bc17d8415129d9&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1

McFraggle

Reaction score
Oh well, I would have rather seen TW or Disney wind up with it. But, ole Mikey never bid for the prize. :smile:

The Storyteller

Reaction score
Now SONY-MGM controls over 40% of all movies ever-made! COMCAST, SONY, and MGM are thinking about launching MGM cable channels here in America, they would be like HBO or ShowTime, But they would only show SONY-MGM movies!

The Storyteller

Reaction score
The reason The Walt Disney Company didn't make a bid, is be cause they own 4 movie studios already(Touchstone Pictues, Walt Disney Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, and Miramax Films), and if they where to purchase MGM they would be breaking the FCC's rules that a company can't own more than 4 movie studios.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
The Storyteller said:
The reason The Walt Disney Company didn't make a bid, is be cause they own 4 movie studios already(Touchstone Pictues, Walt Disney Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, and Miramax Films), and if they where to purchase MGM they would be breaking the FCC's rules that a company can't own more than 4 movie studios.
The FCC has a rule on it? :confused: wow i didnt know that! cool tho.... :smirk:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Nor did I. I knew there was some rule, but no clue of the specifics.

Though if Disney did buy MGM, it would have at least given the name "Disney-MGM Studios" a reason for being. Plus I am in love with that MGM logo. :flirt:

McFraggle

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Nor did I. I knew there was some rule, but no clue of the specifics.

Though if Disney did buy MGM, it would have at least given the name "Disney-MGM Studios" a reason for being. Plus I am in love with that MGM logo. :flirt:
Me too. :big_grin:

The Storyteller

Reaction score
MGM is HOME! For 20 years MGM has had NO production studio(Sound Stages, Backlots, etc.), and has had to rent at the Warner Bros. lot. Now that SONY has purchased MGM it will be back at it's Culver City lot, witch was build in the 30's/40's and in 1985(When Turner Broadcasting owned MGM) was sold to Lorimar Television, then to SONY in '89. Now MGM is home!

RUMORS: SONY is looking to use the MGM name in a theme park attraction(besides Disney-MGM Studios)and/or theme park.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yeah. Too bad that, according to some reports, Sony is expected to shutter MGM's current production except maybe the "James Bond" franchise. But who knows.

McFraggle

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Yeah. Too bad that, according to some reports, Sony is expected to shutter MGM's current production except maybe the "James Bond" franchise. But who knows.
Really, I hadn't heard that.