Tiny Toons How I Spent my Summer Vacation

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've read in Hulk Hogan's autobiography that he got the executive producer credit in Suburban Commando but in that case it only meant he got an extra paycheck, while years later when he was executive producer of Thunder in Paradise it was more than just a title.
There's a big problem with the title "Executive Producer" anyway.

In most cases, whenever a network picks up a new show, they automatically appoint whoever created the concept, or pitched the idea to them as the Executive Producer. A true, and actual Executive Producer is the person who finances the project and makes sure that there's enough money in the budget to be able to make the show or whatever. A perfect example of this is early Sid & Marty Krofft shows, in the beginning with H.R. Pufnstuf, they were having problems making the show because they were constantly over budget (and plus they never made a TV show before, so they were literally learning from a How-to book when they made that show), so they called on veteran TV producer Si Rose (McHale's Navy, Dukes of Hazzard, etc) to give them some advice on what to do, and he eventually signed on with them to help them maintain their budget, so he ended up becoming Executive Producer on a number of their earlier shows.

In other cases, like with Rocky and Bullwinkle, Jay Ward & Bill Scott basically handled everything, but they felt they were taking too much credit, so when they were told they needed an Executive Producer for R&B, they made up a fictional one, and credited a "Ponsomby Britt" as their Executive Producer.

For the record, the Producer is the one who does more of the hands-on production work on a show, and helps behind the scenes and such (similar to a director).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a big problem with the title "Executive Producer" anyway.

In most cases, whenever a network picks up a new show, they automatically appoint whoever created the concept, or pitched the idea to them as the Executive Producer.
Considering that "executive producer" is often just a title (even though there are many E.P.'s who DO the work to earn the title as well), maybe there should be a book: "Anyone Can Be Executive Producer". :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, actually, just about everything that has his name on it is how he did that, lol... heck, I even read an article somewhere about the different usage of the title "Executive Producer", and how in some cases, that title is simply given to someone who may not have even financed, let alone, been involved with the project itself, but may have offered some form of input, and yes, Spielberg was used as an example.
Like I said, he helped shape the show and in the case of Animaniacs by choosing which segments the show was going to be composed of. His daughter actually chose the Buttons and Mindy segment. Spielberg did play himself on the ONLY occasion, on Tiny Toons, on the Buster and Babs go Hawaiian episode.

Yakko, Wakko, and Dot were based back on the college doodles of Tom Rugger. That was back when they were considered to be ducks, rather than the ambiguous puppy things we all know. I remember even hearing of a segment called Nipsy and Russel (played by that very same actor), but that was thrown out of the series.
EDIT: Press release:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Spielberg did play himself on the ONLY occasion, on Tiny Toons, on the Buster and Babs go Hawaiian episode.
There was the occasion on Freakazoid! where his caricature appeared in a cold opening, putting on a puppet show with puppets of Freakazoid and Stephanie, while the Freakazoid puppet sang, "This is a Steven Spielberg shoooooooooo-ooooooooooooooow!", then licks Spielberg and the Steph puppet, while she giggles, "Oh freak!"

And there were other occasional references to Spielberg throughout the history of these cartoons, such as from Wakko's Wish, with Yakko commenting how, "Mr. Spielberg loves this shot."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Spielberg's caricature appears in all the shows, but Frank Welker played him. That cameo in Tiny Toons was the only time he voiced himself.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Great! I've seen this special before! I hope it will get bonus features.

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
I've seen this special on Youtube a few years ago and I died of laughter. So, I really hope the DVD will come out in Europe (first season voulume 1 & 2 didn't).

:sing: We're tiny, we're toony
We're all a little loony