Tis' the Season...For Cookies & Presents!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
No wonder your roomies are always swiping your wallet to go out for meals. Green Eggs and Ham: fried eggs and ham and green pesto sauce stacked up on fresh toast.
Well, my teacher just used green coloring food, but what ever works. But the was, my mom owns Chronicles Of Narnia.

I should watch it sometime. I really wan to see it now after the second one.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Haha, yeah I miss the Christmas specials of the '80s when people weren't afraid of being too corny, lol.
Me too! Thank goodness for Youtube, eh?

I LOVE those old Christmas commercials! That Fruity Pebbles one..."Ho ho ho, I'm huh-huh-hungry!" (Barney Rubble) and the Kraft ones shown during the original airing of "The Christmas Toy" were also my favorites. All that cheese! YUM!

There was the McDonald's ice skating scene. Anyone remember that one with the little kid? Ronald picks him up and spins him around? Good times.

One they still play now is the Hershey's Kisses ringing like bells..."We Wish You a Merry Christmas"...I always loved that one.

The Christmas specials! Too many to list here because I love so many of them.

I will say this, if I ever get to meet Jerry Nelson, I've always wanted to tell him that Christmas just isn't Christmas without seeing Emmett Otter at least once. I was a little kid right when that special first came on HBO. Our house was all decorated. Those die cut cardboard Santa faces stuck to the windows with Scotch tape and the sparkling tree stood in the living room full of lights and decorations. Santa was coming in just a few nights (a miniature sleigh was perched on top of the old wooden-framed Zenith, complete with Santa and plastic reindeer).

To add to the hype and magic, there was Emmett and the gang singing "Barbeque". (Kermit announced earlier on an HBO promo that it was going to be good and not to miss it. Wow was he right!)

It's one of my favorite Christmas memories...and year after year, I gotta watch Emmett.

A lot of you will probably go "huh?" if you don't live near Chicago somewhere, but there are 3 little films they played on the Chicago version of "The Bozo Show" around Christmas time. They were my Mom's favorites and she loved them right up until she died a couple years ago. Every year, either online or on tape, I watch them and relive the old memories once again. Check 'em out if you want:

Suzy Snowflake
Hardrock, Coco and Joe
Frosty the Snowman

Another Christmas staple in our household is a practically unknown special called "Santa's Magic Toy Bag". Paul Fusco made it and it's not half bad for a puppet special that's not the Muppets.

I love Christmas...(sigh)...

Convincing John

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I LOVE those old Christmas commercials! That Fruity Pebbles one..."Ho ho ho, I'm huh-huh-hungry!" (Barney Rubble)
Ok total geek time here, but did anyone else notice Santa's voice randomly changed in that commerical one year? Lol

There was the McDonald's ice skating scene. Anyone remember that one with the little kid? Ronald picks him up and spins him around? Good times.
Yup definitely, McDonald's was good at doing commercials that had nothing to do with food, just the warmth feeling you associate with them, hehe.

One I'm still trying to find is an Alpo dog food commerical from sometime in the early '90s. The announcer says "Chances are the most important animal in your holiday season...isn't a reindeer." :wink: Awww!

I will say this, if I ever get to meet Jerry Nelson, I've always wanted to tell him that Christmas just isn't Christmas without seeing Emmett Otter at least once.
Did you read that review of the new stage production in the Muppet Worlds thread? The person who wrote it said they saw Jerry Nelson there!

I remember seeing Emmett Otter as a kid, for some reason it felt like a more grown up special at the time (I actually thought Emmett was the husband and all his friends were grown ups lol). I'm glad I got to see it on DVD again and set things straight, lol.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Aw, they just showed Mickey's Christmas Carol on ABC Family, I haven't seen that for years! Disney used to be such a big part of my childhood. The part where Mickey's at Tiny Tim's grave is so sad. And Scrooge McDuck always been one of my favorite characters.

Plus that line "Scrooge...the richest man in the cemetary!" is brilliant. Money doesn't matter much in the end. :wink:

I love how usually in A Christmas Carol we see Mrs. Crachett saying nasty things about Scrooge, but here they can't possibly show Minnie Mouse being mean, lol.
I was watching that tonight too! Along with Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too which was kind of depressing in a roundabout way.

Anyway, Mickey's Christmas Carol was a big part of my childhood too. It's a nice rendition of the story, but I think I was somewhat traumatized by the Christmas future scene as a kid. Pete was really scary in that scene!

Christmas just isn't Christmas without being depressed and/or scared out of your wits by Christmas specials at some point. :insatiable:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ok total geek time here, but did anyone else notice Santa's voice randomly changed in that commerical one year? Lol
I was just about to posts about this! Glad I'm not the only one. I actually remember it changing at least a couple of times. :zany:

Redsonga

Reaction score
No wonder your roomies are always swiping your wallet to go out for meals. Green Eggs and Ham: fried eggs and ham and green pesto sauce stacked up on fresh toast.

Also looking forward to Chronicles of Narnia on Friday.
I still think the BBC 80's movies are the best movie version of Narina, the Disney one may be more sparkly but the old ones have more heart IMHO :smile:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Ok total geek time here, but did anyone else notice Santa's voice randomly changed in that commerical one year? Lol.
Yes, I noticed that, too! Also, another geeky thing...one year they muted the sound effect of both Barney and Santa landing in the fireplace.

I haven't read the Emmett review yet. I'll have to check that out. Jerry was there? Awesome! I hope he had a blast. (If he feels like seeing anything authentic to the Waterville Talent Contest, he can visit my hometown's Talent Show anytime. It's loaded full of "Carrots the Dancing Horse"-type acts).:stick_out_tongue:

I remember the Alpo commercial you mentioned! Good stuff. The reindeer line made me laugh.

There was a really funny special on a few years back called "Brought to You By Santa." It had all these Santa-themed commercials in it. hopefully they'll play it again sometime.

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Grrr.... Mad I missed the Peanuts special last night.
It was on already? Grrrr...oh well, YouTube and my old VHS will do this year. I've been taping from ABC, forgetting about CBS. Some of the new stuff's comparable to the old, and it's not bad at all. I enjoyed The Polar Express and Frosty Returns (with John Goodman). Anyone know when Frosty's going to be on yet? It's good to watch while wrapping presents. I have to get wrapping. "Busy! Busy! Busy!"

Convincing John

Kiki

Reaction score
Pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding, pudding!

is delicious
Uhh... I think you forgot to mention that pudding is delicious, Anna. :wink:

I can't believe it, they're actually showing the Garfield Christmas special tomorrow (the 9th) at 7pm ET on ABC Family!
I love that! As well as Garfield's Halloween special. :smile:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I still think the BBC 80's movies are the best movie version of Narina, the Disney one may be more sparkly but the old ones have more heart IMHO :smile:
I'm with you All the way on that one. One thing I Didn't like about the new Prince Caspian was the size of Reepicheep. I much prefered and always imagined him as a large mouse. And I have gone and written an essay on the christian motives in the series, proving my Narnia nerdiness.
*random fact* Did you know there is a Christian Metal band called Narnia, and all of their lyrical matter is about the books?