Title this thread for me again

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was wanting to title it "PROOF that 'Size 0' ISN'T an Exaggeration", but Ed always edits my thread titles, so I might as well just let him come up with a title for me.

We all will speak rhetorically, and somewhat sarcastically that society, and especially the media, forces us to idolize super-thin girls, that are "size 0", and we have to admit, that we really do use "size 0" as a bit of an exaggeration as to just how skinny society is forcing people to be, especially women, in order to be "accepted" and considered "attractive".

Ehh... turns out, that ain't the case after all... here's the story of who would've been a future Miss America (or Miss USA... WHY do we have TWO of the same competition?) contestant, but she was dropped from the try-outs, you know why? Because they told her she was "too fat", even going so far as to tell her, publically, to "Lay off the tacos and the chips". But, you know what? She's a size 2. A size 2. Any skinnier, and she literally would be a "size 0".

http://www.insideedition.com/news/5...ipped-of-crown-because-she-gained-weight.aspx

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I cannot tell you how much I HATE people like this. Who gave them the right to tell a girl she is too fat? Oh that's right, corporate America did. People make me so mad! They have no clue the damage they do when they say those things.

mr3urious

Reaction score
WARNING: A bit lengthy with a lot of links, though said links are well worth reading IMO!

I believe in Health at Every Size, which puts a focus on self-acceptance (regardless if you're a "fatso" or a "twig"), intuitive or normal eating (eating whatever you want -- even "junk food" -- when hungry and stopping when satisfied, though not in a "Cookie Monster" way :insatiable:) and enjoyable physical activity (getting physical for fun rather than for losing weight, which will eventually come right back on 95% of the time and then some, which probably explains why Oprah keeps gaining it back) rather than dieting and weight loss. This obsession creates a lot of self-loathing and eating disorders, and the media frenzy on the "obesity epidemic" is just making it worse, especially for children.

If HAES were promoted more, I believe this world would be a much happier, healthier place. Plus, it's healthier to be fat and active rather than thin and inactive.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This obsession creates a lot of self-loathing and eating disorders, and the media frenzy on the "obesity epidemic" is just making it worse, especially for children.
Exactly the point I've been driving across a while back: THIS is why there are so many people out there who are, LITERALLY, killing themselves over this, and they're doing it two ways...

1. They're either practically starving themselves to death, so as to avoid packing on even more pounds from the food they consume, whether it's healthy, or not, OR...
2. They've been driven to the point of suicide because of all the ridiculement and humilation they've been given for "being fat".

It makes me sick seeing people like this poor girl (though not in her situation, mind you), who are thin as a rail, and look great, but they're saying "Well, I still need to lose X-amount of pounds, I'm a bit heavy right now". I consider something like that an indirect insult to someone like me, who genuinely IS overweight, and has faced the ridiculment and humilation from peers regarding it, and it honestly makes me wonder, if average-looking people like her are now considered the new "fat", then what's the new term for people like me? I'm frightened to think about it. Like last year when that director, Kevin... can't think of his last name at the moment, was kicked off an airplane for being "too fat"... and the man's not THAT fat.

Another thing that's been killed for me too is that now, I don't even know what to say in regards of a woman; back in the day, the term "curvey" was pretty much used to describe a woman who had an exceptionally "nice" figure (the old "hourglass" shape), not only that, but I was in school once too, I had health classes and such, I've learned about anatomy and whatnot, I was told, "Women have curves, and men don't." NOW, thanks to media jarheads like these, the term "curvey" has now been made to be a "polite" way to say a woman is fat (ala "skinny vs. curvey"). But sadder still is that it's become true with the way women have been pressured into being so stick then, they have no natural curves anymore; even in tight dresses, they're starting to look like Corporal Klinger whenever he ran around in tight dresses.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: it's been a proven fact, in today's society, there is more weight discrimination than there is race discrimination.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Oh size 0 girls. I hate America's focus on women's weight. Because of it, I've been overly self conscious about my own appearance since I was thirteen, even though I know in the back of my mind that I'm of average weight. I wish there was more focus in the media of how women, of any size, are beautiful. Then maybe we could stop dealing with eating disorders and young girl's starving themselves. And the girl who got denied Miss America because she was a size 2 and "too fat"? That's so stupid. I'd kill to be a size 2. What is wrong with our society?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It makes me sick seeing people like this poor girl (though not in her situation, mind you), who are thin as a rail, and look great, but they're saying "Well, I still need to lose X-amount of pounds, I'm a bit heavy right now". I consider something like that an indirect insult to someone like me, who genuinely IS overweight
Yeah I know, but to be fair, most of time people like that aren't trying to be insulting. They're just so busy hating themselves and being critical of themselves they don't think about other people.

I've learned about anatomy and whatnot, I was told, "Women have curves, and men don't."
Amen to that!

NOW, thanks to media jarheads like these, the term "curvey" has now been made to be a "polite" way to say a woman is fat (ala "skinny vs. curvey").
I know, the media has truly lost its mind in this regard and don't even care that it doesn't reflect reality. And a lot of young women and men are suffering for it.

That's why I do get a little annoyed when the Muppets today indulge in fat jokes. It was different years ago, people weren't as aware of eating disorders. Plus Piggy could always defend herself. But lately the joke just isn't funny anymore.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I find it amusing that most fashion designers seem to act like you have to be skeleton to get dresses or other outfits by these people.

And yet famous people do dresses for Piggy.

Weird, huh?

If you can make Piggy look absolutely fabulous, there is no real reason why the rest of us can't look that way too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
, there is no real reason why the rest of us can't look that way too.
Well, see, Piggy may be a "full-figure woman"... but as for overall size, she's considerably smaller than most women. :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Well, see, Piggy may be a "full-figure woman"... but as for overall size, she's considerably smaller than most women. :wink:
As a full-figured short gal, I relate to her, LOL. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I had to do homework for my education class and we had to talk about the "obesity epidemic" and what people can do to stay skinny.

Firstly, I felt like an absolute hypocrite writing about it
Secondly...WHY ARE WE DOING THIS IN AN EDUCATION CLASS?

But anyway, what bothered me the most was that we had to watch a video about the "epidemic" and they interviewed this one lady who I just wanted to punch in her ugly face. She started off my talking about how she was overweight and they showed pictures of her (and to be honest she looked better slightly overweight than the rail thin walking skeleton she is now) and how she worked hard to lose weight. Ok, whatever. It was when she said that she couldnt accept her daughter because she was "overweight" really got me mad. Her "overweight" daughter was probably...I dunno...13 and maybe 5 pounds overweight. She was perfectly skinny and looked healthy, not a bony anorexic skeleton.