Title this thread for me again

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There is an obesity epidemic in this country. The thing is people are being encouraged to go to completely the other extreme as opposed to average weight.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There is an obesity epidemic in this country. The thing is people are being encouraged to go to completely the other extreme as opposed to average weight.
Another thing too, pressuring and harping on people to do so isn't going to make them want to do any more than they already don't want to do it.

I had this really horrible doctor years ago; he didn't give a crap whether I was sick, or in pain, or anything, all he wanted to know was if I was losing weight. Everytime, I basically went in for a diagnosis for a problem, and it was more-or-less like "Okay, your problem is this, here's a prescription for it, now what are you doing about your weight?" Even if I was on my deathbed, and breathing my last breath, he'd ask if I lost any more pounds before I kick the bucket. Made me wanna punch him in the nose, and shove those tongue depressors up places that are better left with nothing shoved up them. And no, I haven't seen him in a LOOONG time, I've since then found a much better doctor -- really nice old codger with a lot of wisdom, but with personality and a sense of humor... like probably the kind of doctor Hawkeye Pierce would be in his old age, lol.

But it's true with anything really; people (family and doctors) have been trying to get my dad to quit smoking for years, but harping on him hasn't helped the least, in fact, it's made him smoke even more... and the sad truth of the matter is, about three years ago, the doctor told him at this rate, he'd probably be gone in the next five years. That was THREE years ago, so at that prediction, he probably will be gone the year after next. :frown:

And wow, I can't believe Ed hasn't changed the thread title yet.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I had a doctor like that. I went because I had a sinus infection. She made a point to mention that I had to lose weight at least 10 times in that 30 minute visit. She also said I would get less sinus infections if I lost weight -_-

yeah...after that I changed doctors (and because it was a pediatrician and I was just about to turn 18...)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I had this really horrible doctor years ago; he didn't give a crap whether I was sick, or in pain, or anything, all he wanted to know was if I was losing weight.
Well just to play Devil's Advocate here, he was trying to save your life. Not to be rude, but just saying. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I had a doctor like that. I went because I had a sinus infection. She made a point to mention that I had to lose weight at least 10 times in that 30 minute visit. She also said I would get less sinus infections if I lost weight -_-
They tell you you'll get less everything if you lose weight... I think the only thing you get less of if you lose weight is the amount of clothing you have. :wink:

Supposedly though, you'd have less cholesterol as well; my doctor says that's really my only problem internally is high cholesterol, and that weightloss can contribute to lowering it... THAT makes sense, but I fail to see how being overweight affects sinuses.
Well just to play Devil's Advocate here, he was trying to save your life. Not to be rude, but just saying. :wink:
That may be the case, but that doesn't give him the right to be rude about it himself. I mean, there's a difference between expressing true concern, and just harping on someone.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That may be the case, but that doesn't give him the right to be rude about it himself. I mean, there's a difference between expressing true concern, and just harping on someone.
Well obviously I don't know the guy of course. Just saying being rude doesn't mean there's no concern. Sometimes being polite and cautious doesn't get you anywhere with patients either. :wink:

Puckrox

Reaction score
I've never had a doctor harp at me about my weight, which is nice. I have, however, experienced the next best thing: a parent. All throughout high school my dad would tell me to stop eating quite as much and that I needed to exercise more often, and once went so far as to call me "chunky". Not a very flattering thing for a dad to tell his sixteen year old daughter. Now that I actually do exercise and have lost weight he doesn't bother me on the subject, but I still like to bring up the fact that he used to to make him feel bad every now and then. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've never had a doctor harp at me about my weight, which is nice. I have, however, experienced the next best thing: a parent. All throughout high school my dad would tell me to stop eating quite as much and that I needed to exercise more often, and once went so far as to call me "chunky". Not a very flattering thing for a dad to tell his sixteen year old daughter. Now that I actually do exercise and have lost weight he doesn't bother me on the subject, but I still like to bring up the fact that he used to to make him feel bad every now and then. :stick_out_tongue:
That's terrible. :sympathy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I understand, parents can be very cruel about these things; they think it will encourage the child to act quicker. But it just ends up making you feel worse.

However, we all should be exercising and eating better. Ultimately, I find you just have to say "I'm doing it for me, not for someone else." :wink:

Puckrox

Reaction score
Yeah, it took me a while to realize my dad meant well. He went around it the wrong way, but in reality, his side of the family is a bit on the heavier side, so he was just watching out for me. He just did a bad job of expressing it. And I did start eating/exercising for me. :smile: