TMS Crowd scenes

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
So I'm watching my Time-Life tape of the Juliet prowst Episodes, I realized something. In the muppet Glee club scene. there are more Muppets than Puppeteers! :embarrassed:

Okay, look. In the JP edisode, they had five Muppeteers: Jim, Frank, Dave, Richard, John and Erin. In the Muppet Glee club there are 12 muppets involve: Kermit, Piggy, two pigs, four chickens and four frogs. I realize that the muppeteers can double Puppets, with a puppet on each hand. going by this picture (Link):

http://www.muppetcentral.com/guides/episodes/tms/season1/1_prowse.shtml

from this picture, we cansee that it is quite obvious that each pair of Chickens, and frogs (judging from the closeness of the puppets.) are performed by one Puppeteer each. Ditto with the Pigs behind Piggy: though they are farther appart than the frogs or chickens, we know from a brief goof and from voices they are both being performed by Dave. (Quote from the MC guide: [PUPPETEER SPOTTING: Dave Goelz' face is totally exposed for a split second before the frogs in the foreground move to cover him up!])

Also from the voices, we can tell that the four frogs are Richard and John, and two of the Chickens are Erin. Jim is obviously performing Kermit, and in a prosess of Elimination (and by the voice in the dialouge), Frank is performing Piggy and Miming to Richard's track. but that's all five puppeteers (Jerry wasn't alvailable for taping) . So:

Kermit: Jim Henson
Piggy: Frank Oz (Singing Voice of Richard Hunt)
Pig #1 and Pig #2: Dave Goelz
Chicken #1 and Chicken #2: Erin Ozker
Frog #1 and Frog #2: Richard Hunt
Frog #3 and Frog #4: John Lovelady

But that leads us with Two Puppets still unacounted for:

Chicken #3 and Chicken #4: ???????????????????

So, WHO IS PERFORMING THE OTHER TWO CHICKENS?

P.S. This is my return to the MC boards after a year-and-a-half absence. It's good to be back.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Frogs and Pigs and Chickens... Oh, My!

From what I understand about the Henson workshop and control system, could they have puppeteered the 2 chickens on one side and then the 2 on the other side and "blended" the shot. Also They could have had the chickens on a control system that allowed one puppeteer to handle 4 puppets. I haven't seen the sketch but I think those are some possibilities.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I think that it could've been Caroly Wilcox, but I'm not sure.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
They also use crew members for doing some background puppets, so it could be someone that worked on the show in someway. It would proberly be one of the puppet builders.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
On Benny Hill's show they had him playing five or six characters all at once on screen in one skit he did. It's an old camera trick thats been around for a long time now. I asked a friend of mine who's a veteran cameraman for NBC about it, and he said it's quite easy to do. I'm pretty sure that's what they would have used. Also, they may have had extra puppeteers for the other characters, they then dub the voices in later. It's quite common for them to do that when more than one character belonging to a puppeteer is used in one shot.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am not sure if The Flying Sheep is still reading this, but in your first post, you keep saying that there were five performers when you obviosuly mean six. Jim is one, Frank is 2, Dave is 3, Richard is 4, John is 5, and Eren is 6.

In the guides section, in the section for the original version of the Juliet Prowse episode, it says that jane henson was credited in the pilot version, but not in the broadcast version. It's possible that jane henson performed the chickens.