TMS Fanfiction: "Broken Dreams"

Just J

Reaction score
Part IV: Lights! Camera! Action!

Part IV: Lights! Camera! Action!

Miss Piggy was not happy. Not happy at all.

Her feet hurt, from doing so many retakes of the song-and-dance number they were working on. Her entire body felt like it was baking in an oven, from being under the hot stage lights for so many hours. Her throat felt unspeakably dry, from having to sing that darn song over and over and—

“Okay, everybody, places! Once more, from the second verse this time!” called out Kermit.

Miss Piggy’s baby blues narrowed. She was going to kill that frog.

But she put aside her violent urges and found her place on stage, waiting for the Electric Mayhem to cue up the music. When the first note played, Piggy sang with an energy and spirit she didn’t feel:

Here we are
Here I am
And here we go
Once again
Oh, what an adventure we’ll have.

On the next verse, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Fozzie, and Rizzo joined in:

Here we are
Ready to go
So let’s get on
With the show
Oh, what an adventure we’ll have.

It’s time to—

“Cut!” shouted Kermit. “Cut!”

The Electric Mayhem's playing ground to a halt, mid-song. The Muppets in front of the camera froze, mouths still open. Then Miss Piggy spoke up. “All right, what was wrong this time?”

“The dancing was a bit out of synch. Maybe we should try it from the beginning.”

“Kermie.” Piggy’s voice had a dangerous edge to it. “We have been here since early this morning. It is very late.”

Kermit waved away her words. “Yes, I know, but—”

“No,” said Piggy, “I don’t think you understand. If you make me do that lousy song one … more … time …

Kermit gulped. He looked at Piggy’s face and knew she wasn’t joking. “Okay, everyone, that’s a wrap! Go home, get some rest. We have another long day tomorrow.”

Everyone shuffled off to their dressing rooms. The stage crew started shutting off the lights and putting away sets and props.

Kermit turned to Piggy. “Do you really think the song is lousy?”

Hearing the hurt tone in Kermit’s voice, Piggy was immediately flooded with regret at her outburst. She knew Kermit had written the lyrics himself, with Rowlf writing the tune. “No, Kermie,” she reassured. “It is a wonderful song, made even more wonderful by its lead singer. I am just tired and not at my usual prime.”

“Me too, Piggy. Let’s go home.”

They both went to their dressing rooms, washed off the stage make-up, and came out wearing their street clothes and carrying their coats. They were just about to walk out the door when a gravelly voice called out from behind: “Mr. Frog. Miss Piggy. May I have a word with both of you?”

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Wow, I don't normally read these, but this one caught my eye. Fantasitc job, very original. Very solid, smooth writing, especially the first bit with Gonzo, you got the character down well! Who's the gravelly voice-man?! That's SO scary!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<eyes wide with a sort of "I've been enchanted by some sort of magic" look> <mouth part-way open>

.......more please......

oh wow. Oh, WOW! So awesome so awesome so incredibly awesome, I can see it happening, I can hear them talking, oh, this is so magnificent! And this... this gravelly voice from behind... that I'm already afraid of... tell me more...

Just J

Reaction score
Y'all are in luck. The identity of the gravel-voiced man is revealed first thing in the next chapter.

Side note: I enjoy listening to music while I write this story. Especially musicals, which I think is appropriate considering that the majority of the Muppet films have been musicals. I've been alternating between "Rent" and "Wicked," which may seem odd at first blush. Both have fairly serious themes and depressing moments. But both musicals emphasize friends-as-family. And so do the Muppets.

Just J

Reaction score
Part V: A Change of Direction

Part V: A Change of Direction

With a small hop of surprise, Kermit spun around. He found himself face to face with Michael Thenardier, the head of the movie studio. “Uh, hello, sir,” said Kermit, wondering why the studio head had come to their set so late at night. “How are you this evening?”

“I’m very well, thank you.” Thenardier pointed to the back of the room. “I was actually in the back, watching some of the filming tonight. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Oh! Uh … n-no, sir. Not at all.” Kermit managed a weak smile. “I hope you liked what you saw.”

“I did. Well. Some of it I liked.” He sat down at a nearby table and motioned for Kermit and Piggy to sit as well. “Please. Have a seat.”

The pig and the frog looked at one another nervously then sat down as requested.

Thenardier continued, “Miss Piggy, I would just like to say that I love your work. Your singing was divine.”

Even though she was still nervous, Piggy couldn’t help preening a bit. “Why, thank you!” She nudged Kermit. “Man has excellent taste.”

“Sheesh.”

Thenardier smiled. “I like to think that I have good taste, yes. But more importantly, I like to think I have a feeling for what the public’s tastes are. And do you know what the public has a taste for?”

Piggy looked at him blankly. “Donuts?”

“No, Miss Piggy, they have a taste for you.” He gestured towards the pig. “Miss Piggy consistently has high approval ratings with the public. Your over-the-top personality, your constant self-reinvention, your diva status are all exactly what the reality t.v. crowd craves. Whereas you, Kermit … well, there’s no gentle way of saying this, Kermit. You’re old hat. You’re the same frog you’ve always been. You’re an entertainer of the past.”

Both Kermit and Piggy gasped. “What are you saying?” asked Kermit.

“I’m saying you’re out, Kermit, and Piggy’s in.”

“But … but, sir … ”

“You can’t do that to my frog!”

Thenardier held up his hands. “Quiet, both of you!” He waited for a second then continued, “Before anyone gets hysterical, just listen. Kermit, I’m not firing you. I’m simply removing you as director of this film. You’ll still be acting in it—the public may think you’re yesterday’s news, but they’ll still want you in it for sentimental reasons.”

“But who will direct if not Kermie?”

Thenardier smiled again. “You will, Miss Piggy. I am confident that, with your imagination and vision, this film will knock everyone off their feet. And make a tidy sum at the box office.”

Miss Piggy’s jaw dropped. Her? A director? Oh! But then a pang. Kermit, not the director? No, she couldn’t do that to Kermit. “I can’t,” she told the studio head.

“What do you mean, you can’t?”

“I mean, I won’t,” she said softly. “I won’t do that to Kermie.”

Thenardier’s smile dropped off his face in an instant. “But you will. Because if you don’t, not only will both of you be fired … I’ll make sure this movie never gets made and that no Muppet is ever able to get a job in entertainment again.”

All three fell silent for a minute. Then just as Piggy was getting ready to argue some more, Kermit said, “Of course Piggy will do it. She’ll make a great director.” He looked at her sadly, his eyes pleading with her to not argue. If it meant saving the movie and the Muppets, he would gladly step aside as director. “Won’t you, Piggy?”

It was with a broken heart that Piggy replied, “Yes, Kermie.”

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Miss Piggy? Directing? <shiver>....

Tell me more, oh, please, tell me more...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh my! At least it's not Gonzo directing, Ahhahhahaha!

But seriously, this seems like a great fan-fic so far! I'm really liking it! (And liking the short chapters, :stick_out_tongue:, since i don't have so much patience with the longer fan fics right now)!!!

It's simply great, I'm hooked for sure.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
(And liking the short chapters, :stick_out_tongue:, since i don't have so much patience with the longer fan fics right now)!!!
so that's why you've stopped reading mine... :stick_out_tongue:

But yes, this is so beautifully written, Just J, I can' wait for more!

Just J

Reaction score
No fighting, you two! :smile: Though it's true that my chapters tend to be short. Just my natural writing style; I write like that in my non-fan-fic stories, too.

Speaking of short chapters ... here's another!