TMS Fanfiction: "Broken Dreams"

Just J

Reaction score
Part VI: Behind the Scenes

Part VI: Behind the Scenes

Fozzie was in his dressing room, hiding under the loveseat. He took off his hat and used it to wipe the beads of sweat from his brow. Then he started nervously twisting the hat. She was going to find him. He knew it. It was just a matter of time.

“Scooter! Just where is that good-for-nothing bear?”

Uh oh. The jig was up.

“Gee, I don’t know, Miss Piggy. The last time I saw Fozzie, he was in his dressing room.”

Fozzie flinched as the door opened. A pair of silver pumps were visible from under the couch. Fozzie was afraid that if he so much as breathed, Piggy would know where he was hiding.

“Fozzie?” she called out sweetly. “Oh, Fozzzzziiieee?”

Ho ho. He wasn’t falling for that. No, ma’am. Piggy was trying to trick him, but he knew she was still mad. But—oh, no—a tickle—in his nose—Fozzie had to sneeze. Not good. Very not good. He tried to stifle the sneeze. He tried to fight it, but the sneeze was too strong for him. So he buried his face in his hat, hoping that would muffle the sound.

“Achoo!”

Miss Piggy whirled around. “I heard that. Show yourself, throw rug.”

Wiping his nose on his scarf, Fozzie sighed and climbed up from the floor. “Here I am, Piggy. What can I do for you?”

“For starters, you can tell me why you have missed the last three morning meetings. You know how important they are.”

“I, um … ” Fozzie stared at the floor. Then he looked up and grinned. “Three-day flu?”

Piggy was not amused. “Try again.”

Fozzie collapsed into a mess instantly. “Oh, Piggy, I’m so sorry. It’s like this, Piggy, you see, I mean, it’s just that—”

“Out with it, Fozzie!”

“The meetings are scary, Piggy!” Fozzie started twisting and fiddling with his hat again. “It seems nothing we do is ever right. And you change your mind so often, even if we get it right, you want us to change it anyways.”

Piggy’s eyes grew wide in outrage at the insubordination. But before she could yell or karate-chop Fozzie, someone coughed from behind. Miss Piggy and Fozzie both turned towards the door, where all the other Muppets had gathered to eavesdrop. “And what do you think you’re doing?” asked Piggy, indignant. “Aren’t all of you supposed to be rehearsing?”

“Um …”

Kermit stepped forward. “Miss Piggy, may I have a word with you?” He glanced back at the others. “Alone?”

“But of course, Kermie.”

Rizzo piped up. “All right, you heard the frog. Everyone out!”

“Si,” added Pepe under his breath, “we do not want to be around for this, okay. No way.”

Kermit turned to Fozzie. “Fozzie, why don’t you go rehearse that number you have with Rowlf?”

“Yes sir, Kermit.” He didn’t look at Miss Piggy but kept his eyes trained to the floor until he was in the hall, looking up only in order to shut the door behind him.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Poor Piggy. She always takes the rap! I'm sure she had good intentions. Very neat.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<deep breath>.

<waiting for blow>.

<realizes not really in story>.

<deep breath>.

<waiting for next chapter, and therefore, blow>.

Something very bad is about to happen.

But, in case I haven't mentioned... oh, I have mentioned? Well, I'll mention anyways... I love this story. I absolutely love it. I mean, I can actually see Fozzie under the couch. No, I'm under there with him! Oh, except that I'm not anymore. Now I'm sitting on the couch, I'm in fly-on-the-wall mode, and I see everything... oh, tell me more! Please!

G-MAN

Reaction score
This is a very good story, i love the approach your making to it, at first telling us there was a break-up, and then going back and slowly telling us what caused it. I'd go out and buy one of your stories in a heartbeat if you decided to make this a career.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Great story Just J! I love it! It's such an ironic twist to actually see the Muppets working on their own movie!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wow...Miss Piggy sounds like my kind of director, I mean, um, ahheh *shifty eyes*

Just J

Reaction score
MrsPepper: The road to where is paved with good intentions? :wink:

G-MAN: Hi and welcome to my story! Thank you so much for the compliments. But I'm currently deep in debt, studying law, so I think I probably won't end up doing this as a career. Besides, if it stays a hobby - you get the stories free! Everybody wins, yay.

Beauregard: Well, we'll send her to direct your next movie. Hee hee.

TogetherAgain: Yes, you're right about where the story's heading. I'm going to revise the next chapter one more time before I post it, because it's the favorite one of all I've written so far and I want to make sure it's just right before I share it.

Just J

Reaction score
Part VII: Flashpoint

Part VII: Flashpoint

Kermit and Piggy stared each other down for several long, tense moments.

“Miss Piggy.”

“Kermie.”

More silence.

“You just can’t treat people this way, Piggy. You scared Fozzie so bad, he was hiding under the furniture.”

“I maintain that bear has always had a naturally weak constitution.”

“We’re supposed to be having fun.”

Piggy scoffed. “Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m having a laugh a minute,” she said sarcastically. “What with having to keep track of the costumes, the props, the cameras, as well as all of the actors and their lines and choreography.” Then, before she could think better of it, she added, “You have no idea the kind of stress I’m under.”

“You’re right,” said Kermit, responding with his own sarcasm. “I have no idea. It’s only the stress I’ve been living with for fifty years!”

Piggy blushed and remained quiet, but Kermit took no notice. He was so angry, that he had lost his position, that she had yelled at his best friend, that he barreled right on: “And Fozzie’s right! You have been changing your mind every three seconds. No wonder everyone’s confused. No wonder everyone’s messing up.”

Piggy felt tears well up but fought them back. She couldn’t bring herself to admit it out loud, but she too knew Fozzie was right. But it was only because she kept trying to do things the way Kermit would. She was trying to stay faithful to his vision. But, lacking Kermit’s magic touch, doing so was easier said than done. She couldn’t help constantly second-guessing (and triple-guessing) herself.

Piggy opened her mouth, to explain why—

“I can’t believe you were made the director. You must be the worst director ever.”

—and shut her mouth again. “The worst director ever?” she repeated in disbelief. “You gotta be kidding me. Listen, frog, even Steven Spielberg couldn’t do anything with the script I’ve got.”

Kermit gasped. He had put his all into that script. “What are you talking about? What are you saying about the script?”

“It stinks! It stinks like Animal right before bath day!” Once she’d said it, she wished she hadn’t. She didn’t mean it. But it was too late now to take it back. Might as well keep going. “And why wasn’t there any romantic subplot written into it, Kermit? All of our movies have that, it’s what the public will expect.”

“That’s not true. It’s what you expect.” Kermit shook his head. He remembered what the studio head had said about him being yesterday’s news and blurted out, “Maybe I was tired of it. You’re the only one allowed to try something new, to reinvent?”

Miss Piggy angrily turned her back on him. You mean you were tired of moi, she thought. “Ha! Good luck with your ‘reinvention’. You’ll need all the luck you can get.”

Something about Piggy turning her back to him was the final straw for Kermit. “I don’t need luck,” he told her, “and I don’t need this. I quit!”

Piggy was genuinely shocked. He quit? That was inconceivable. Kermit couldn’t … quit. Could he?

But once again, her anger got the better of her. “You can’t quit!” she yelled. “Because you’re fired!”

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I ....

<stunned silence>

...<stunned silence>.

<deep breath>
I'm heartbroken. I am absolutely heartbroken. I just... I... ... ...Kermit. Quitting. I mean it... ...ow. It just... it hurts, the whole... it just...

Wow. I can't quite... put into words, at the moment... but... this is amazing, Just J. This is absolutely amazing.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Piggy opened her mouth, to explain why—

“I can’t believe you were made the director. You must be the worst director ever.”

—and shut her mouth again.
That has to be one of the strongest Piggy moments in any fan-fic at any time. I stand in awe of you!