TMS Not For Kids Episodes

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Which TMS episodes do you guys think are a little too much for a kid to watch, maybe it is just because of one sketch, maybe it is the whole episode or just the guest star. Which one would you make a kid get out of the room if it aired?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm, I personally I don't believe in censoring kids' TV viewing. My parents never did that, and I was the biggest goody goody in school, lol.

But, just to play along for the sake of the thread...

That Liza Minelli "Copacabana" number. I could see that upsetting me as a child; the story's just so sad. :cry:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Hmm, I personally I don't believe in censoring kids' TV viewing. My parents never did that, and I was the biggest goody goody in school, lol.

But, just to play along for the sake of the thread...

That Liza Minelli "Copacabana" number. I could see that upsetting me as a child; the story's just so sad. :cry:
I would not censor anything for kids, but there are some questionable scenes in TMS, like in the Dudely Moore episode where Mama keeps playing strip_ _ r music when Miss Piggy is around, pretty subtle, but not meant for a kid.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I don't think censorship would be necessary (none of them have gone that far) but off the top of my head, the Raquel Welch one wins that category.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I feel like a good number of moments from Season 1 wouldn't be suitable for kids.

For example, in the Peter Ustinov episode, there's "You Do Something To Me". I understand that a lot of kids back then were terribly frightened of it, and I know that I would be too.

Second, there's the Vincent Price episode. Considering that this episode was meant to be...you know, themed around scary-type moments. "I've Got You Under My Skin" would really make kids feel unsettled, since it involves one character eating another character- the same applies to the Discussion Panel, and especially the Muppet Newsflash skit.

Depending on what kind of person the child would be like (meaning if they're one who easily gets scared of things they see on TV/movies), I personally would not not recommend showing them the "Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff" video. I borrowed it from Tower Video (anybody out there remember that place?) once when I was in first grade, thinking that it would be literally all about Gonzo, since he was my favorite Muppet Show character. However, I was partially wrong- the fact that he was presenting a bunch of weird-type moments from The Muppet Show didn't occur to me, so I was treated to not only moments revolving around Gonzo, but also a lot of other weird/eerie material that really made me feel uncomfortable, especially "I've Got You Under My Skin".

But, in general, this is all just my personal input.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Hm. Pretty interesting thread here.:smile: Pretty off-topic, but it's interesting that Jim had intended that The Muppet Show would attract an adult audience. I know he didn't want to be identified as a children's performer, but it's nice that it had changed into a family-friendly show nonetheless, regardless of how scary/frightening some episodes may have seemed.:stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
OK, the one exception I might make to my "no censorship" rule would be that "Windmills of Your Mind" sketch. For some reason, it freaked me out for ages as a child. I used to fast forward through it all the time. I think it's the way the music started getting all fast and off putting when the thing says, "On the outside, but on the inside..." To this day, it creeps me out, lol.

Muppet Master

Reaction score